Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Could the inner circle push the old Terran fed tech along?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Could the inner circle push the old Terran fed tech alon
Post by mhicks   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:40 pm

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Dilandu and Randomiser had other good ideas about how to get into the temple. I always thought Peter could ask for a chance to talk with Duchairn and get permission to return to the temple and gather personal effects from himself and his dead family members as a way to show the church has no hard feelings. During a private meeting with Duchairn tell him about the septers ability to see if someone is lying, and tell Duchairn a portion of the truth he has about the Family legacy to keep the church from falling into apostasy. Then ask for permit ion to visit the Chapel of the Key as part of the family ritual he was unable to preform before his exile and his families demise and that to keep the scepters power he needs to visit the room once a decade and it has been a few years(all of this part of the conversation would be without the scepter being on and glowing LIAR!). And then he could go to the room and talk with his dead relative.
Maybe even get the truth out of Duchairn as to why he finally fought against Clyntan. The scepter has endless possibilities.
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:22 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

wasn't St Khody made a seijin (i.e. old memoris of fed tech restored) in the hamilcar's med bay?

if so then the ship hadn't been destroyed prior to the war against the fallen. having the ship still in orbit made it safe from the fallen, not that i expect they would likely have destoryed something that could help prove mankind came from elsewhere.

also were there not references to a dawn star ala pern which we were led to believe was Hamiclar?
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:48 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

IIRC there was a comment about some of the Archangels departing in the "Dawn Star" after the victory over the Fallen.

Since I believe that the "Dawn Star" was the Hamiclar, then it was around during the War Against The Fallen.

By the way, I don't think it was established that the "med bay" was on the "Dawn Star" or if it was planet-side.

Dauntless wrote:wasn't St Khody made a seijin (i.e. old memoris of fed tech restored) in the hamilcar's med bay?

if so then the ship hadn't been destroyed prior to the war against the fallen. having the ship still in orbit made it safe from the fallen, not that i expect they would likely have destoryed something that could help prove mankind came from elsewhere.

also were there not references to a dawn star ala pern which we were led to believe was Hamiclar?
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Louis R   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:40 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Not sure about Archangels - TTBOMK only 2 survived the nuke and we know they were still around at the end of the war. What we don't know is if they 'departed in glory' at the same time as the Dawn Star buggered off. However, I'm pretty sure that there is a mention of servitors returning to the Dawn Star, so it was there at the end of the War. And given that the identification with Hamilcar becomes very strong.

So, given that Himself just said that the Temple was built before or very early on in the War, Hamilcar ain't under it. In fact, I'd lay odds [luckily, this place doesn't use real money, so I can't lose my shirt] that the Temple was built before the War, that it was built as a defense against rebellious command crew [Chihiro may have been uncertain of Schueler's postion at that point], and that building it was the trigger for the rebellion that occurred.

DrakBibliophile wrote:IIRC there was a comment about some of the Archangels departing in the "Dawn Star" after the victory over the Fallen.

Since I believe that the "Dawn Star" was the Hamiclar, then it was around during the War Against The Fallen.

By the way, I don't think it was established that the "med bay" was on the "Dawn Star" or if it was planet-side.

Dauntless wrote:wasn't St Khody made a seijin (i.e. old memoris of fed tech restored) in the hamilcar's med bay?

Post by Fireflair   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:51 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

I can't remember where it was mentioned but I'm pretty certain we have text ev that tells us that the cryosleep was not usable to go the thousand years, even with breaks to wake up and stretch. The TF which arrived at Safehold lived long lives, thanks to their nanites and medical sciences, and the cryosleep would let them extend the duration of their lives a great deal. It wouldn't get them the 1000 years until the archangels returned.
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:07 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:IIRC there was a comment about some of the Archangels departing in the "Dawn Star" after the victory over the Fallen.

It was a while ago, but the quote that sticks in my memory runs "after the last of the archangels departed in glory to the Dawn Star", which I took to be a reference to the gradual disappearance of Archangels from Safehold as they died off. I wasn't sure whether to take it literally - as they got old and frailer they staged a public leave-taking and retired to the Dawn Star to avoid the bad PR of decrepit Archangels, or metaphorically "their Angelic Spirits" returned to the base provided for them when their mortal bodies died". (It was always dogma that God had provided the Archangels with mortal, but very durable, bodies for their task.) Actually it just occurred to me that we haven't heard of any tombs of the Archangels where they are venerated, so their bodies probably were disposed of in some way that didn't leave remains, whether repatriation to the Dawn Star or "blaster" fire.

Either way it seemed overwhelmingly likely to me that the Dawn Star was the Hamilcar and so, as Drak says, it was around in orbit after the Temple was built.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:04 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Correct.

I don't remember which book but we had Merlin thinking about the limits or cryosleep. Apparently (IIRC) a hundred year sleep was the longest possible one.

Fireflair wrote:I can't remember where it was mentioned but I'm pretty certain we have text ev that tells us that the cryosleep was not usable to go the thousand years, even with breaks to wake up and stretch. The TF which arrived at Safehold lived long lives, thanks to their nanites and medical sciences, and the cryosleep would let them extend the duration of their lives a great deal. It wouldn't get them the 1000 years until the archangels returned.
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:11 am

Dilandu
Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:Correct.

I don't remember which book but we had Merlin thinking about the limits or cryosleep. Apparently (IIRC) a hundred year sleep was the longest possible one.

There is other way. Time dilation. The Archangels have workable spaceship, capable (presubmably) of high relativistic velocities. They could accelerate away from Safehold, bringing velocity until they hit 10 to 1 treshold, then left the ship drifting and go to cryosleep. Or, they may push even higher, and go without cryosleep at all - by compressing the whole 1000 years in just a small ammount of onboard time.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Joat42   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:33 am

Joat42
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:

There is other way. Time dilation. The Archangels have workable spaceship, capable (presubmably) of high relativistic velocities. They could accelerate away from Safehold, bringing velocity until they hit 10 to 1 treshold, then left the ship drifting and go to cryosleep. Or, they may push even higher, and go without cryosleep at all - by compressing the whole 1000 years in just a small ammount of onboard time.

And the bonus is that due to cosmic particles and dust hitting the ship or its screens it'll light up like a bright streak for all to see over several hundred light years and its tail will be pointing straight at Safehold...

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:42 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

IIRC David Weber has said Starships in this universe can't get close enough to the speed of light for Time Dilation to take place. :(

Dilandu wrote:

Return to Safehold