Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Through Fiery Trials, Snippet #1

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Through Fiery Trials, Snippet #1
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:55 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Dilandu wrote:
SYED wrote:Just because they are unable to open those doors, does not mean to locate them? Will they totally be secured or sealed?

The doors may be protected from curious churchmens by some simple devices - like if someone started to fiddle with the door, the (composed) recording of "archangel" voice would proclaim something like that "this door was locked by the will of Archangel Langhorne, and should remain this way! Begone, mortal!" (and some technicolor illumination, to inflict holy fear)

I am missing something... Merlin knows where the back door is, it seems logical that "only a few trusted" members of the Inquisition knew it was even there and that they would not have 'locks' on the door that Rayno and Zaspher used to sneak out of Zion.

The I.C. of Charis ought to be able to access the room any time they want.
Send some in to make recordings and then take the data to the cave to form a plan of action...
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:06 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

C. O. Thompson wrote:
SYED wrote:Just because they are unable to open those doors, does not mean to locate them? Will they totally be secured or sealed?

Dilandu wrote:The doors may be protected from curious churchmens by some simple devices - like if someone started to fiddle with the door, the (composed) recording of "archangel" voice would proclaim something like that "this door was locked by the will of Archangel Langhorne, and should remain this way! Begone, mortal!" (and some technicolor illumination, to inflict holy fear)

runsforcelery wrote:Oh, trust me, Chihro came up with something lots better than that as a discourager. Whether anyone in-universe (or reading the books) ever finds out about it will depend on how the final storyline works out. :twisted:

C. O. Thompson wrote:I am missing something... Merlin knows where the back door is, it seems logical that "only a few trusted" members of the Inquisition knew it was even there and that they would not have 'locks' on the door that Rayno and Zaspher used to sneak out of Zion.

The I.C. of Charis ought to be able to access the room any time they want.
Send some in to make recordings and then take the data to the cave to form a plan of action...

Unless I'm mistaken, you've never been told where the Temple end of that tunnel comes out. And if I had told you, you'd know why that idea wouldn't work, :D

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:12 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Very Very Nasty Oh Great & Glorious Mighty Wizard Weber!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

runsforcelery wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, you've never been told where the Temple end of that tunnel comes out. And if I had told you, you'd know why that idea wouldn't work, :D
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by USMA74   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:18 am

USMA74
Commander

DrakBibliophile wrote:Very Very Nasty Oh Great & Glorious Mighty Wizard Weber!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

runsforcelery wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, you've never been told where the Temple end of that tunnel comes out. And if I had told you, you'd know why that idea wouldn't work, :D

As a general rule I never disagree with any dragon for I am small and tasty with ketchup. I likewise got a smile on my face at Mr. Weber's droll comment. Hang on to your hats, the next couple of months are going to be fun. :lol:
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:14 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, you've never been told where the Temple end of that tunnel comes out. And if I had told you, you'd know why that idea wouldn't work, :D

If anyone would know... it will be you. I was guessing that the hubris of the inquisition would generate a 'blind spot' where they were likely to think that anyone coming through the secret tunnel knew the secret. Also, I have observed human nature where someone puts a rock or stick in a door ((with a Door must be kept closed at all times sign)and reasons to maintain security) blocked to prevent themselves from being locked out when the sneak a smoke or run to their car.

In this case it looks like I combined a presumption with an assumption and the butler didn't do it after all. :oops:

I am sure you had it figured out way back in book one.
I'll just tag along and continue to be amused ans amazed.
Last edited by C. O. Thompson on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Annachie   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:38 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Well, tradition says that the temple end of the secret escape tunnel is either in the dungeons, or the rulers chambers.

But my guess is the Schulerite offices in the temple.
Specifically, the Grand Inquisitor's office.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:50 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:Well, tradition says that the temple end of the secret escape tunnel is either in the dungeons, or the rulers chambers.

Not a bad guess but, but there are some ((members of Helm Cleaver)or the IC) who could check it out.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by bigrunt   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:14 pm

bigrunt
Lieutenant Commander

C. O. Thompson wrote:
Annachie wrote:Well, tradition says that the temple end of the secret escape tunnel is either in the dungeons, or the rulers chambers.

Not a bad guess but, but there are some ((members of Helm Cleaver)or the IC) who could check it out.

I would think that sending in a few scouts is well worth it, even if you loose them there is intelligence to be gained about the capacity of the temple.
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Attacking Charisian soldiers just for being in the Temple albeit a private area, would be an act of war again, and doesn't sound like the kind of thing Duchairn would countenance. But if the tunnel opens into a really secure area where the intruder couldn't avoid being spotted, trying to use it will only get the intruder apprehended and the tunnel closed off, so it's pointless.
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Randomiser wrote:Attacking Charisian soldiers just for being in the Temple albeit a private area, would be an act of war again, and doesn't sound like the kind of thing Duchairn would countenance. But if the tunnel opens into a really secure area where the intruder couldn't avoid being spotted, trying to use it will only get the intruder apprehended and the tunnel closed off, so it's pointless.

Er, no. If they are caught in are when they weren't allowed to be in peacetime, they would be considered as spies. And spies do NOT enjoy the protection of their uniforms.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)

Return to Safehold