Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 35 guests

Question about snippets for Through Firey Trials

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Question about snippets for Through Firey Trials
Post by BarryKirk   » Fri May 25, 2018 2:23 pm

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

Any idea when we can expect to start seeing snippets for Through Firey Trials?
Re: Question about snippets for Through Firey Trials
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat May 26, 2018 9:31 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

When David Weber thinks he can afford to return visiting here. ;)

BarryKirk wrote:Any idea when we can expect to start seeing snippets for Through Firey Trials?
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Randomiser   » Sat May 26, 2018 11:22 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Necessary but not sufficient. I'm hoping, somewhat rashly, that we will be getting regular Uncompromising Honor snippets by August, which might be a tad early for TFT
Post by thanatos   » Wed May 30, 2018 7:34 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:Necessary but not sufficient. I'm hoping, somewhat rashly, that we will be getting regular Uncompromising Honor snippets by August, which might be a tad early for TFT

The eARC for Uncompromising Honor is already out so I doubt there is any need for more snippets on that one. Right now RFC has a few more projects on the back burner. There's the new Multiverse novel, the Honorverse Companion "House of Lies", his collaboration with John Ringo on the Empire of Man series and probably next in the War God series. If Amazon is publishing TFT by 8 January 2019, that would mean that we might see snippets for it sometime in the fall. But publication dates have been moved back before and Tor Books seems more rigid on publishing dates so a lot would depend on whether RFC has been able to keep to his schedule (and not at the expense of his health).
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:46 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

thanatos wrote:
The eARC for Uncompromising Honor is already out so I doubt there is any need for more snippets on that one.

So those of us who don't want to buy the book twice don't deserve any consideration! Thanks very much

thanatos wrote:Right now RFC has a few more projects on the back burner. There's the new Multiverse novel, the Honorverse Companion "House of Lies", his collaboration with John Ringo on the Empire of Man series and probably next in the War God series. If Amazon is publishing TFT by 8 January 2019, that would mean that we might see snippets for it sometime in the fall. But publication dates have been moved back before and Tor Books seems more rigid on publishing dates so a lot would depend on whether RFC has been able to keep to his schedule (and not at the expense of his health).

According to a report from MantiCon, the manuscript of TFT has been turned in, with the exception of 1 partial chapter fairly early in the book which needs a bit more work. And I want to see some of the other stuff too, but what does that have to do with whether or not we get UH snippets? Log in, post, log out- 5 minutes per snippet max. Simples! ;)
Post by dobriennm   » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:51 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Randomiser wrote:
So those of us who don't want to buy the book twice don't deserve any consideration! Thanks very much

According to a report from MantiCon, the manuscript of TFT has been turned in, with the exception of 1 partial chapter fairly early in the book which needs a bit more work. And I want to see some of the other stuff too, but what does that have to do with whether or not we get UH snippets? Log in, post, log out- 5 minutes per snippet max. Simples! ;)

Actually takes longer for the snippets as they usually aren't complete excerpts - the author doesn't try to reveal too much (and at times the author is trying to play with our minds). Case in Point, the deaths of everyone in the Inquisition prison gave rise to a lot of speculation which the author read and at times engaged with. And I don't think anyone figured out the actual method used to kill everyone. I know the author told me that my idea was wrong.

The snippets are more than a partial reveal, they are a way for the author to engage with the readers (admittedly, the more fanatic readers). Sucking the author into that exchange (and it will happen) takes time away from everything else.

Besides, if you do an "Advanced Search" http://forums.davidweber.net/search.php for Author: "runsforcelery" and Return: "All Available" you can see a long discussion about Uncompromising Honor where an awful lot of background material is discussed along with reveals of the information not covered in the snippets (I believe it is based on the eARC).

Also, I've done eARCs before and haven't liked paying twice either. But that's on me for being so impatient. Besides, as referenced in that discussion you can search for, parts of the final book had to be changed because readers were confused by a portion of the eARC and the author had to go back and clarify the final product.

Finally, if he continued snippets after the eARC someone would inevitably reveal something from the eARC which is sort of against the "rules" for snippets.
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:31 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

@dobriennm

There are two types of snippets; lumps lifted straight from the start of the book and edited teasers carefully chosen to titillate and provoke. The vast majority are the first kind and do take a max of five minutes, NTM Drak would probably be happy to do them for RFC if asked, making it zero minutes per snippet for RFC. The second kind are designed to take up time, but if RFC doesn't want to play with us that way, then fair enough, that's quite understandable.

I'm not sure I get your point about UH. From my POV the discussions and background dumps subsequent to the early release of that Earc, due to people 'whining', if I remember how RFC put it, are all information which I have permanently lost because much of it will be old and pages down the forum by the actual release date. There is always some of that, but there is much more when the Earc comes out so early.

I certainly don't want to pay for a draft that still needs revised

Earc readers are actually pretty good about not revealing spoilers in discussion of snippets, and where anyone forgets/slips up Duck removes the post very quickly so it isn't really much of a problem.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:06 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:@dobriennm

There are two types of snippets; lumps lifted straight from the start of the book and edited teasers carefully chosen to titillate and provoke. The vast majority are the first kind and do take a max of five minutes, NTM Drak would probably be happy to do them for RFC if asked, making it zero minutes per snippet for RFC. The second kind are designed to take up time, but if RFC doesn't want to play with us that way, then fair enough, that's quite understandable.

I'm not sure I get your point about UH. From my POV the discussions and background dumps subsequent to the early release of that Earc, due to people 'whining', if I remember how RFC put it, are all information which I have permanently lost because much of it will be old and pages down the forum by the actual release date. There is always some of that, but there is much more when the Earc comes out so early.

I certainly don't want to pay for a draft that still needs revised

Earc readers are actually pretty good about not revealing spoilers in discussion of snippets, and where anyone forgets/slips up Duck removes the post very quickly so it isn't really much of a problem.

I guess I'm an exception. Spoilers don't ruin anything for me. My own enjoyment of a book comes in rereading and reanalysing anyway. So as far as I am concerned, bring on the spoilers!

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by BarryKirk   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:37 pm

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

It is the later kind of snippets which are the most fun.

His Celeriness certainly has fun setting us up in the rats maze and then watching us scurrying around.

Not sure which is more fun. Setting up the maze, or scurrying around in it trying to find the cheese.
Post by shayvaan   » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:31 pm

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

RFC has been known to make minor changes (and sometimes not so minor ones) even in the longer type, to avoid major reveals (or to mess with our poor heads :twisted: )

Return to Safehold