Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Question about snippets for Through Firey Trials

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Question about snippets for Through Firey Trials
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:12 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

shayvaan wrote:RFC has been known to make minor changes (and sometimes not so minor ones) even in the longer type, to avoid major reveals (or to mess with our poor heads :twisted: )

I can't think of any occasion where he has done so with one of a series of snippets from the start of a book. Do you have any examples?

He certainly has edited snippets from later in the books that he has dropped in as teasers, but that's not what I'm talking about. The sequences from the start of the book that often run to about 25-30% of the total, are actual 'as is' lumps from the relevant book - or at least from the EArc text of the relevant book since they may not reflect the final edits, but he doesn't deliberately edit them when he posts them.
Post by mhicks   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:07 pm

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:
shayvaan wrote:RFC has been known to make minor changes (and sometimes not so minor ones) even in the longer type, to avoid major reveals (or to mess with our poor heads :twisted: )

I can't think of any occasion where he has done so with one of a series of snippets from the start of a book. Do you have any examples?

He certainly has edited snippets from later in the books that he has dropped in as teasers, but that's not what I'm talking about. The sequences from the start of the book that often run to about 25-30% of the total, are actual 'as is' lumps from the relevant book - or at least from the EArc text of the relevant book since they may not reflect the final edits, but he doesn't deliberately edit them when he posts them.

---May be a spoiler if you have not read all the other books---

If I remember correctly there was a time when he removed pronouns so we did not know who was doing the actions in the snippet a book or two back. It made us all go nuts wanting to figure out if it was Merlin, Nueme(before we knew there was another PICA out there) or a person with a NEAT flying the skiff and talking to Owl.
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

mhicks wrote:
---May be a spoiler if you have not read all the other books---

If I remember correctly there was a time when he removed pronouns so we did not know who was doing the actions in the snippet a book or two back. It made us all go nuts wanting to figure out if it was Merlin, Nueme(before we knew there was another PICA out there) or a person with a NEAT flying the skiff and talking to Owl.

Oh by this time I have read just about everything regularly released. (Except anything re-released with added material)

I only vaguely remember that one, so I can't swear to this, but I think that was HFQ snippet #11 and if so it wasn't actually altered, just written so as to avoid naming the second pilot.

Return to Safehold