Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by PeterZ   » Wed May 30, 2018 1:08 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5671
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm
Location: Colorado

The book starts 16 years after AtSoT or 16 years between the start ad end of the book? If the flatter, he isn't really jumping 20 years but highlighting those years.
Goody!
Top
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by ywing14   » Wed May 30, 2018 9:03 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 pm

tjthw8s wrote:While at MantiCon this past weekend, Himself did mention a few details about TFT.

The manuscript has been turned in, with the exception of 1 partial chapter detailing a specific event sequence (trying to avoid spoilers). Said piece to be inserted fairly early in the book, later in-book references already established.

Himself's original plan for the book had to be reworked and the book covers over 16 years of in-universe time.

Himself specifically mentioned 'steam powered zeppelins air-dropping arms and supplies to the peasant rebellion in North Harchong'. And, honestly, just that one statement has me practically beside myself in anticipation.

I can hardly wait.


I have to agree! I’m enjoying that as well!
Top
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed May 30, 2018 11:56 am

isaac_newton
Captain of the List

Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 am
Location: Brighton, UK

tjthw8s wrote:While at MantiCon this past weekend, Himself did mention a few details about TFT.

The manuscript has been turned in, with the exception of 1 partial chapter detailing a specific event sequence (trying to avoid spoilers). Said piece to be inserted fairly early in the book, later in-book references already established.

Himself's original plan for the book had to be reworked and the book covers over 16 years of in-universe time.

Himself specifically mentioned 'steam powered zeppelins air-dropping arms and supplies to the peasant rebellion in North Harchong'. And, honestly, just that one statement has me practically beside myself in anticipation.

I can hardly wait.


dont you just hate it when people 'casually' say 'whilst I was at... I met/listened to RFC...

envy, envy... :mrgreen:

Seriously - how is he looking - OK I trust... good to have a sighting!
Top
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by roseandheather   » Wed May 30, 2018 5:37 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Posts: 2009
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:39 pm
Location: United Kingdom

tjthw8s wrote:While at MantiCon this past weekend, Himself did mention a few details about TFT.

The manuscript has been turned in, with the exception of 1 partial chapter detailing a specific event sequence (trying to avoid spoilers). Said piece to be inserted fairly early in the book, later in-book references already established.

Himself's original plan for the book had to be reworked and the book covers over 16 years of in-universe time.

Himself specifically mentioned 'steam powered zeppelins air-dropping arms and supplies to the peasant rebellion in North Harchong'. And, honestly, just that one statement has me practically beside myself in anticipation.

I can hardly wait.


...can someone find me a mop for all this anticipatory drool?
~*~


I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Top
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by tjthw8s   » Thu May 31, 2018 1:07 am

tjthw8s
Midshipman

Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 11:06 am

peterz:

David mentioned during Q&A on one of the panels that he'd gotten over 90 000 words into the first draft of TFT when he realized that over 60% of it was flashback. So he scrapped that and started over. So the book does sort of skip along covering the major events of over 16 years in-universe. And he also mentioned that he has a file of character names with their birthdays so he can keep track of how old everyone is. The files 16 pages long-42 names per page, thats 652 named characters He's keeping track of?!
Top
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by ywing14   » Thu May 31, 2018 7:38 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 pm

tjthw8s wrote:peterz:

David mentioned during Q&A on one of the panels that he'd gotten over 90 000 words into the first draft of TFT when he realized that over 60% of it was flashback. So he scrapped that and started over. So the book does sort of skip along covering the major events of over 16 years in-universe. And he also mentioned that he has a file of character names with their birthdays so he can keep track of how old everyone is. The files 16 pages long-42 names per page, thats 652 named characters He's keeping track of?!


Damn, that's a lot of names! Thanks for the info!!
Top
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:24 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: Scotland

PeterZ wrote:The book starts 16 years after AtSoT or 16 years between the start ad end of the book? If the flatter, he isn't really jumping 20 years but highlighting those years.
Goody!


Well, technically, tjthw8s just says RFC is covering over 16 years of in-universe time, i.e. there are at least 16 years between the start and end of the book. He doesn't say which 16 years those are, so there could still be a jump! (This is RFC, remember :twisted: )

Admittedly it's inherently likely that he means the 16 years after the last book stopped. That probably means we aren't going to see what's beneath the Temple in this book. Pity.
Top
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:33 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: Scotland

tjthw8s wrote:While at MantiCon this past weekend, Himself did mention a few details about TFT.

Himself specifically mentioned 'steam powered zeppelins air-dropping arms and supplies to the peasant rebellion in North Harchong'. And, honestly, just that one statement has me practically beside myself in anticipation.

I can hardly wait.


Indeed. cf the cover art thread?
Top
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by MrZero   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:00 am

MrZero
Ensign

Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:21 am

"When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
Oh great, how's that going to be done? Moving mazes? Wrong trail tracks? It's unlikely that we're going to get a Vietnam War book, but Weber might use some more War of 1812, or a slice out of the War of the Roses.

768 pages?! Oh yeah! Not a short book, so maybe we could get some expansion of "those things mentioned" in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8463

>possible time skip
Just how would a Heirs of Empire type book for Safehold turn out?

"Church of God's Awaiting"
I thought it was Church of God Awaiting...

"David mentioned during Q&A on one of the panels that he'd gotten over 90 000 words into the first draft of TFT when he realized that over 60% of it was flashback. So he scrapped that and started over. So the book does sort of skip along covering the major events of over 16 years in-universe."
Scrapping it would be bad. Re-purposing it into a set of introductory chapters that fleshes out the scenes and fills in gaps that were skipped over, would be good usage.
Example, just because Houseman wasn't assassinated doesn't mean that Merlin never spent an afternoon stopping the sent assassins. Or because book 9 skipped the space between the Temple Revolt and the execution, doesn't mean that a VERY active city would just sit on their hands for three months. (Asprin's Thieves World Sanctuary anthology would have, and had, squeezed a whole book out of that idea.) There'd be a lot of skullduggery for the various factions and forces to search, hide, and find. Not even counting who's trying to escape in which cart that just happens to be filled with sacks of gold. It's the Council of Four home base- people might still be building those obsolete sailing ships because they were already paid in full for the work.
On the plus side, as far as I know: Yes! Merlin goes to Harchong! :D
Top
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:03 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: Scotland

MrZero, I get the impression that RFC didn't so much throw away those flashbacks as rewrite them in present time, i.e. the book went from one situated 16-20 years after the last one with lots of flashbacks to those years, to one that travels through those years letting us see the "flashback" events "as they happen".
Top

Return to Safehold