Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests

Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by Dauntless   » Sat May 19, 2018 8:16 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Jeslis wrote:Sorry, I'm slightly confused as to the discussion between 2 different publishers here..

Is Safehold published by a different company than Honorverse books are? ((I just had my first e-arc experience with the newest Honorverse book... so is that not going to happen with the new Safehold book?))

Safehold is published by Tor

Honnorverse by Baen.
Post by dobriennm   » Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am

dobriennm
Commander

Dauntless wrote:
Jeslis wrote:Sorry, I'm slightly confused as to the discussion between 2 different publishers here..

Is Safehold published by a different company than Honorverse books are? ((I just had my first e-arc experience with the newest Honorverse book... so is that not going to happen with the new Safehold book?))

Safehold is published by Tor

Honnorverse by Baen.

Tor doesn't do eARCs. It does do paper ARCs to select people to generate publicity and favorable advance reviews.

Occasionally, some advance reviewers sell the paper ARC on eBay for inflated prices. Not sure Tor (or the author) really approves of that.

It's hit and miss of what or when ARCs end up on eBay.
Post by dwr523   » Wed May 23, 2018 2:09 pm

dwr523
Midshipman

Cover art now available.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Thu May 24, 2018 12:59 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

dwr523 wrote:Cover art now available.

Well, that's one way to do an air force...
Post by Dauntless   » Thu May 24, 2018 9:15 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

for those struggling to find said cover art

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9780765325594
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Dauntless wrote:for those struggling to find said cover art

Post by ctj44   » Sat May 26, 2018 1:32 am

ctj44
Midshipman

Lunan wrote:from amazon due on jan 8th 2019

The unholy war between the small but mighty island realm of Charis and the radical, luddite Church of God's Awaiting has finally come to an end. Those on the side of progressing humanity through advanced technology have finally triumphed over their oppressors. However, even though a provisional veil of peace has fallen over human colonies, many secrets of Safehold's past still remain unearthed
...<snip>...

Aargh, “secrets remain unearthed” does not mean what the author of the blurb presumably intended.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Sat May 26, 2018 10:43 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

dobriennm wrote:
Tor doesn't do eARCs. It does do paper ARCs to select people to generate publicity and favorable advance reviews.

Occasionally, some advance reviewers sell the paper ARC on eBay for inflated prices. Not sure Tor (or the author) really approves of that.

It's hit and miss of what or when ARCs end up on eBay.

It's worth noting that the intense interest and competition for 2nd hand ARCs on eBay, often going up into the mid 3 figure price range, was one of the major factors in convincing Baen to monetize them.

Getting a Tor ARC or two up that high might have a similar motivating effect on the publisher.
Post by Randomiser   » Sat May 26, 2018 11:33 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Dauntless wrote:for those struggling to find said cover art

Thanks. Bearing in mind all the usual caveats about cover art, those dangling baskets at least suggest the artist read the last book. Also the left-most "aircraft" appears to have propellers at each side of the gondola, suggesting that it has engines and is steerable. Let battle recommence as to which type of engine :evil:
Post by tjthw8s   » Wed May 30, 2018 12:26 am

tjthw8s
Ensign

While at MantiCon this past weekend, Himself did mention a few details about TFT.

The manuscript has been turned in, with the exception of 1 partial chapter detailing a specific event sequence (trying to avoid spoilers). Said piece to be inserted fairly early in the book, later in-book references already established.

Himself's original plan for the book had to be reworked and the book covers over 16 years of in-universe time.

Himself specifically mentioned 'steam powered zeppelins air-dropping arms and supplies to the peasant rebellion in North Harchong'. And, honestly, just that one statement has me practically beside myself in anticipation.

I can hardly wait.

Return to Safehold