Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests

Nobel Prize

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Nobel Prize
Post by Karl   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:26 am

Karl
Midshipman

a Nobel prize would assist science on safehold.

To better relations with other kingdoms, goodwill actions like hospital ships would be useful.
Karl
Re: Nobel Prize
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:48 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Karl wrote:a Nobel prize would assist science on safehold.

But nobody on Safehold knows anything about Alfred Nobel and his guilty conscience. :roll:

It would probably be a "Lewis Prize" if circumstances were to repeat. In the meantime Safehold will just have to settle for A "Royal Science Prize," starting with a Charisian prize/grant and spreading to other kingdoms/empires/republics.

Karl wrote:To better relations with other kingdoms, goodwill actions like hospital ships would be useful.
Karl

Hospital ships aren't really needed on Safehold. They would be the province of the Pasqualite Order if they were. I'm not sure that Charis would profit much from giving the CoGA a high-profile publicity bonanza.

The best way for Charis to better relations with the rest of Safehold is to continue the Trade the were conducting before the Jihad. Get a reputation for honesty and good value for money, and maintain it; trade partners will tend to trust you.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by n7axw   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:00 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

But nobody on Safehold knows anything about Alfred Nobel and his guilty conscience. :roll:

It would probably be a "Lewis Prize" if circumstances were to repeat. In the meantime Safehold will just have to settle for A "Royal Science Prize," starting with a Charisian prize/grant and spreading to other kingdoms/empires/republics.

Karl wrote:To better relations with other kingdoms, goodwill actions like hospital ships would be useful.
Karl

Hospital ships aren't really needed on Safehold. They would be the province of the Pasqualite Order if they were. I'm not sure that Charis would profit much from giving the CoGA a high-profile publicity bonanza.

The best way for Charis to better relations with the rest of Safehold is to continue the Trade the were conducting before the Jihad. Get a reputation for honesty and good value for money, and maintain it; trade partners will tend to trust you.

...or be envious of your success.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:The best way for Charis to better relations with the rest of Safehold is to continue the Trade the were conducting before the Jihad. Get a reputation for honesty and good value for money, and maintain it; trade partners will tend to trust you.

...or be envious of your success.

Don

-

Depends on how hard you rub their noses in your success. :roll:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:20 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

It was Charisian success at trade that meant Dohlar, Desnair, and Corisande were so willing to aid the "Knights of the Temple Lands" to the initial effort to crush Charis. Continuing in the ore jihad mode will mean more of the same.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:52 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

To better relations with other kingdoms, goodwill actions like hospital ships would be useful.
Karl

Hi Karl

I don't think we have actually seen much if anything in the way of public medical advances in Charis. Safehold already has reasonable hygiene and epidemiology practices, thanks to the Writ, so there may not be many easy medical advances to pick up, before a chemical industry gets going and without electricity. The Church is responsible for medical care, so it's probably reasonably well provided and accessible everywhere. Medical ships in Real Life usually call at poor underdeveloped countries, and while there are poor bits of Safehold we haven't really seen much of their internal structure. Harchong would be the partial exception, but they certainly don't consider themselves a '3rd world country' and Charisian charity ain't gonna be exactly welcome there.
Post by saber964   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 pm

saber964
Admiral

Randomiser wrote:

Karl

Hi Karl

I don't think we have actually seen much if anything in the way of public medical advances in Charis. Safehold already has reasonable hygiene and epidemiology practices, thanks to the Writ, so there may not be many easy medical advances to pick up, before a chemical industry gets going and without electricity. The Church is responsible for medical care, so it's probably reasonably well provided and accessible everywhere. Medical ships in Real Life usually call at poor underdeveloped countries, and while there are poor bits of Safehold we haven't really seen much of their internal structure. Harchong would be the partial exception, but they certainly don't consider themselves a '3rd world country' and Charisian charity ain't gonna be exactly welcome there.

You might consider the Raven Lords.
Post by ywing14   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:05 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

They still need to focus on convincing the world innovation isn't bad.
Post by Henry Brown   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

An alternative idea is: once the truth is revealed, create something like the Nobel Prize in Shan-Wei's name. I could see Merlin getting behind this idea.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:An alternative idea is: once the truth is revealed, create something like the Nobel Prize in Shan-Wei's name. I could see Merlin getting behind this idea.

Not sure this thought would work out well outside the inner circle... More likely to get people to draw back in horror. What they would be more likely to hear "devil's prize".

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold