Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 16 guests

Earldom of Lock Island

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Earldom of Lock Island
Post by jlrice54   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:44 pm

jlrice54
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Did Earl Lock Island have any children? Or Did the title go to a cadet branch of his family or did it revert to the crown to be awarded as they felt fit?
Re: Earldom of Lock Island
Post by Direwolf18   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:39 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

I don't believe it was ever stated. Most of the senior Charisan admirals seem like they are single though.
Post by evilauthor   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:02 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Direwolf18 wrote:I don't believe it was ever stated. Most of the senior Charisan admirals seem like they are single though.

Or they could be married, but their domestic life never became an issue.

Hell, the entire Group of Four seems to be bachelors, but then we learn Duchairn actually has a wife (or was it Magwaire?) in a one off line. But then again, most of the corrupt Vicarate is only paying lip service to their marital vows anyway.

Also, Langhorne's religion really emphasizes the value of marriage and having families and encourages it in everyone, even priests. IIRC, marriage is even required for higher office in the CoGA clergy. Of course, most of the corrupt Vicarate is only paying lip service to their marital vows anyway, which is why they seem to act like they're not really married.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:12 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

evilauthor wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:I don't believe it was ever stated. Most of the senior Charisan admirals seem like they are single though.

Or they could be married, but their domestic life never became an issue.

Hell, the entire Group of Four seems to be bachelors, but then we learn Duchairn actually has a wife (or was it Magwaire?) in a one off line. But then again, most of the corrupt Vicarate is only paying lip service to their marital vows anyway.

Also, Langhorne's religion really emphasizes the value of marriage and having families and encourages it in everyone, even priests. IIRC, marriage is even required for higher office in the CoGA clergy. Of course, most of the corrupt Vicarate is only paying lip service to their marital vows anyway, which is why they seem to act like they're not really married.

Yes, Magwaire turns out to be not just married, but close enough to his wife to go and buy hats with her.

There's no mention of Lock Island's heir, which suggests it was unproblematic. I'd wonder if, like Bishop Mykhail, he's a widower with grown up children. Who've gone into something other than the Navy.

Either that, or like Duchairn, he has nephews. Either way, aristocracy in the UK have the importance of 'the heir and the spare' drilled into them practically from birth, so I'd think he either had a couple of promising nephews, or he was married, but it was never of importance within the story.

Return to Safehold