Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 30 guests

Oh By The Way...

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Oh By The Way...
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

evilauthor wrote:
PeterZ wrote:So, if the Inquisitor actually serves Clyntahn, he dies. The best example is the Inquisitor that refused to kill the Charisian POWs on the ship Sir Dunkin captured. That Inquisitor was not a sadist but was honestly serving Clyntahn. This compared to the sadist bastard on the other ship.

If that's your "best" example, you need to find a better one. The Charisians didn't kill the Good Inquisitor; he killed himself under the assumption that the Charisians were going to kill him anyway.

There's every possibility that the Good Inquisitor might have been spared, especially with Dunkin getting intel directly from Owl at this point.

IOW, this incident can't be used as an example of Charisians being indiscriminate in killing Inquisitors.

Textev doesn't tell us whether the Good Inquisitor is dead or not. It certainly doesn't say that he definitely committed suicide or was executed. He is, according to Sir Dunkyn's letter, 'no longer available' to be returned.

I remember thinking at the time that it was an odd euphemism and wondering if he was 'no longer available' to Sir Dunkyn because he was on a ship to Charis.

Possibly the Good Inquisitor is simply in a Schroedinger's Character state of being neither dead or alive, but retained for possible future use.
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:34 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I suppose the implication of Sir Dunkin's words were consistent with Charisian policy. To serve Clyntahn is to die when Charisian catch you. If the Inquisitor did enough to earn an exception, well RFC may let us know.
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:35 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Bluesqueak wrote:
Possibly the Good Inquisitor is simply in a Schrodinger's Character state of being neither dead or alive, but retained for possible future use.

I wish there was a like button so I could give you a like for "Schrodinger's Character"
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:06 am

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:Think of the Inquisition as like the various Departments of the KGB. IIRC;

First Department Foreign Intelligence
Second Department Counter Intelligence
Third Department Domestic Intelligence
Fourth Department Boarder Guards
Fifth Department Foreign Technology
Sixth Department Military Loyalty

That had a whole department devoted to protecting those who go aboard hostile ships??? :D
Post by evilauthor   » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Bluesqueak wrote:Textev doesn't tell us whether the Good Inquisitor is dead or not. It certainly doesn't say that he definitely committed suicide or was executed. He is, according to Sir Dunkyn's letter, 'no longer available' to be returned.

IIRC, the last time we saw him alive, he was PREPARING to kill himself. Or at least implied to be doing so in his last words to whoever he spoke to.
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:46 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

evilauthor wrote:
Bluesqueak wrote:Textev doesn't tell us whether the Good Inquisitor is dead or not. It certainly doesn't say that he definitely committed suicide or was executed. He is, according to Sir Dunkyn's letter, 'no longer available' to be returned.

IIRC, the last time we saw him alive, he was PREPARING to kill himself. Or at least implied to be doing so in his last words to whoever he spoke to.

I think it said that he was going down to has cabin, but it was not clear wether he was going to prepare to kill himself OR prepare for justice to be meted on him.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

evilauthor wrote:

isaac_newton wrote:I think it said that he was going down to has cabin, but it was not clear wether he was going to prepare to kill himself OR prepare for justice to be meted on him.

I read it the same way. I interpret it as his waiting for the ICN. He knows they won't torture, so whatever awaits him will be quick. Nothing he could do would be much quicker and who knows, God might save him.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

isaac_newton wrote:
evilauthor wrote:

I think it said that he was going down to has cabin, but it was not clear wether he was going to prepare to kill himself OR prepare for justice to be meted on him.

I read it as both preparing for the Charisians and making it clear to everyone that the Captain was free to surrender. Symbolically removing the threat of the Inquisition, so to speak.

Return to Safehold