Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

Maps and reading on a kindle

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Maps and reading on a kindle
Post by jbinbi   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:51 pm

jbinbi
Midshipman

Maybe I just don't know how to do this...

I read on a kindle. The maps are on the 1st few pages. I am reading the last book now so this wasn't an issue when i first started, but on a kindle I don't know how to jump to the maps and back to the page I am on. So consequently, I don't do it, and therefore, I never know where the action is.

In print, I can easily put my finger in the page I am on and flip to the front and back. Maybe it is one thing 'old technology' is good for.

So my question is, 'is there a way to easily do this in a kindle?' If not, then my suggestion is to start each chapter of the electronic books with a map, so you know where the action is.

My second suggestion is that there are way too many characters to keep track of where each person is from. Caleb, sure. Some other army general, no. Especially since some books take me anywhere from 1 month to 6 months to read. What about putting something next to a person on each first mention per book or chapter, like General Sarmouth (RCN), (which I think would be Royal Charisan Navy).

Don't know if I am the only one with these issues or everyone has them...
Re: Maps and reading on a kindle
Post by ALSandTrout   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:15 pm

ALSandTrout
Midshipman

You are right, reading on a Kindle it is a PAIN to follow the action on the maps ... that's why I have purchased both a hard copy AND a Kindle version of each of the Safehold books. I do my first read in the Hard Copy, then reread several times on Kindle.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

jbinbi wrote:Maybe I just don't know how to do this...

I read on a kindle. The maps are on the 1st few pages. I am reading the last book now so this wasn't an issue when i first started, but on a kindle I don't know how to jump to the maps and back to the page I am on. So consequently, I don't do it, and therefore, I never know where the action is.

On my Kindle Fire I can tap the upper right corner to set or remove a bookmark. I can tap the middle of a page and get the "go to bookmark" option. You can also set or remove a bookmark with a center tap, or call up the index by swiping from the left edge.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

I find that the maps in the Kindle version of the book are terrible anyway. Even in a kindle App on an Android tablet, they are way too small and can't be blown up sufficiently to actually be helpful or legible. It must be even worse on an actual Kindle with a more limited resolution. I don't know if anything can be done about it or it's just a deficiency of the file format.

I downloaded the .JPG maps RFC so kindly provided and used those in a normal photo viewing program. Where a small size was sufficient I could flick between Kindle and the Map on my Tablet,zooming in to my heart's content. For serious understanding I used the big screen on my Desktop PC for the maps and read the appropriate section on the tablet.

Return to Safehold