Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Lost Testament of Schueler

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Lost Testament of Schueler
Post by CRC   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:30 pm

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:From the POV of provenance, finding the Testament in the inquistion's files is about the only thing that will be accepted by the world at large. Possibly requiring the Key to decrypt, or since 20 years is about the time of the potential return, possibly unlocked by the return.

Except OWL can manufacture the "special" paper identical to original versions of the writ. That in itself will give it supreme credence.

On the other hand, anyone apparently can view the holographic information from Schueler in the Key - and OWL can piece together information in a holographic format - like he did for Clynthan. No one would deny a holographic Testament from Schueler himself.

And we have additional audio and/or visual information that does exist in the archives as hinted to by Clynthan.

This is fun....
Post by Peter2   » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Two questions. Considering that the Book of Schueler was not part of the original Holy Writ:–

1. Is there any proof that Schueler actually wrote the Book of Schueler at all?

2. If he did, is there any proof that what he wrote was not altered?

I was always unhappy with the disclosed comments towards the end of Seijin Kohdy's diary, because my understanding from it was that Schueler was the archangel that Kohdy really trusted. Assuming that I've got the right end of the stick, Kohdy must have had a very good reason for having that degree of trust in him.

I was wondering if Schueler and Kohdy were ambushed together during that final meeting, and whether or not the Book of Schueler was actually written by another to discredit Schueler in the eyes of any other of his contacts whose thoughts were running along the same lines as Kohdy's.
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

no there is no proof as to who exactly wrote the book of schuler it is just accepted by anyone not part of the inner circle (or the sisters of st kody) that it was written by him
Chohiro Did It!
Post by CRC   » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:59 pm

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

I still believe that it was Chohiro that wrote the actual text. I believe that the hologram in the Key was recorded either just before or just after the death of Khody and just before Chohiro killed Schueler and left on the Dawn Star - nee Hamilcar.

I still believe the nexus of the 1000 year return will be by Chohiro and that Schueler will end up being a good guy by Paityr invoking executables in the Key - which will blow the Hamilcar, it wasn't destroyed - out of orbit - or invoke command routines that turn the Hamilcar over to Nimue.
Post by martin   » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:05 pm

martin
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Isn't 20years PAST the much discussed 1000 year return of the Archangels? OK so that didn't happen. OK, Its fairly obvious that Schueler is actually a good guy. His book is full of the most hideous stuff on the planet - ergo it was credited to him ironically or in revenge by the piece of excriment that actually wrote it.
Post by BrightSoul   » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:34 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

martin wrote:Isn't 20years PAST the much discussed 1000 year return of the Archangels? OK so that didn't happen. OK, Its fairly obvious that Schueler is actually a good guy. His book is full of the most hideous stuff on the planet - ergo it was credited to him ironically or in revenge by the piece of excriment that actually wrote it.

Interesting to note that a Safeholdian year is .9ish Earth years.

That would be Y.O.G. 1100. ;)
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:20 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

BrightSoul wrote:
martin wrote:Isn't 20years PAST the much discussed 1000 year return of the Archangels? OK so that didn't happen. OK, Its fairly obvious that Schueler is actually a good guy. His book is full of the most hideous stuff on the planet - ergo it was credited to him ironically or in revenge by the piece of excriment that actually wrote it.

That would be Y.O.G. 1100. ;)

Not if they measured from the defeat of Kau Yuang's demons. 1,000 old earth years after the War Against the Fallen is just about right at 20 years out.
Post by Keith_w   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:40 am

Keith_w
Commodore

[quote="PeterZ"] quote="BrightSoul" quote="martin" Isn't 20years PAST the much discussed 1000 year return of the Archangels? OK so that didn't happen. OK, Its fairly obvious that Schueler is actually a good guy. His book is full of the most hideous stuff on the planet - ergo it was credited to him ironically or in revenge by the piece of excriment that actually wrote it. /quote

That would be Y.O.G. 1100. ;) /quote

Not if they measured from the defeat of Kau Yuang's demons. 1,000 old earth years after the War Against the Fallen is just about right at 20 years out. {/quote}

What does old Earth years have to do with it? Except for the inner circle none of them know that Earth exists. On the other hand, i always assume that the return was scheduled for 1000 years after the departure.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by WeberFan   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:59 am

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Peter2 wrote:Two questions. Considering that the Book of Schueler was not part of the original Holy Writ:–

1. Is there any proof that Schueler actually wrote the Book of Schueler at all?

None that I'm aware of. I THINK it was attributed to Schueler, but there's no textev that states categorically Schueler wrote it.

2. If he did, is there any proof that what he wrote was not altered?

Ditto. No textev at all one way or another that the Book of Schueler was modified (or not).
Re: Chohiro Did It!
Post by WeberFan   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 am

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

CRC wrote:I still believe that it was Chohiro that wrote the actual text. I believe that the hologram in the Key was recorded either just before or just after the death of Khody and just before Chohiro killed Schueler and left on the Dawn Star - nee Hamilcar.

I still believe the nexus of the 1000 year return will be by Chohiro and that Schueler will end up being a good guy by Paityr invoking executables in the Key - which will blow the Hamilcar, it wasn't destroyed - out of orbit - or invoke command routines that turn the Hamilcar over to Nimue.

I think I agree with you, CRC. Seems from the textev that it was a pretty confusing time... About a million things were all happening at the same time. RFC talks about many of them in lots of different places and it's difficult to put together any sort of coherent timeline (did RFC do this to us intentionally to keep his options open for "round 2?") It would be helpful if David could tie up some of these loose ends and confusion as the second chapter comes about. Sort of "back story" information that the Inner Circle develops over time.

Return to Safehold