Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Lost Testament of Schueler

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Lost Testament of Schueler
Post by CRC   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:09 pm

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

"Next project: the new Safehold book, starting 20-25 years after At the Sign of Triumph (with the discovery of the Lost Testament of Schueler). Projected delivery date, end of November. Publication date, probably second half of 2018." - - RFC 06/03/2017

How deliciously EVIL can you get?!?

Now we have to go through 18 months of rampant speculation based on these four words!!!!

Let the pontificating BEGIN!
Re: Lost Testament of Schueler
Post by mhicks   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:02 pm

mhicks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

:o The Lost Testament of Schueler!!! I can't wait! :D
Now does it come from the Temple because we get the stone and verifier in there, or doe another secret organization come out of hiding with the lost testament? And what kind of curve ball will it be?
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:07 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

It's not a curveball. He s throwing a fastball low in the strike zone to the catcher's right side. He's throwing it to all the hitters.

Charis is the lowball lefty hitter looking for that pepper.
Siddermark is the lefty with low bat speed hoping for a change up.
Dohlar is the righty contact hitter with the best on base percentage in the league.
Desnair was signaled by the third base coach to take whatever is pitched.
Harchong guessed the right pitch and swung hard. It just was a bad hitter and missed.

I bet whatever happens in the story, corresponds to this description.
Post by Boronian   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:44 am

Boronian
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I like that it is only 20-25 years after the end of the first series because our heroes will (mostly) still be around.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:33 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

20-25 years is about right for the return. Could that be the source of the Lost Testement?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:54 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

could this lost testament be something created by the inner cricle to speed up the breakup of the church in the temple lands to something more like the Chruch of Charis.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:37 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I see one of several possible scenarios. These first assumes the Testament refute the CoGA history in meaningful ways but does not actually reveal the Truth.

1) Schueler left the Testament with the Inquisition and they hid it from Chihiro, but never revealed it afterwards. It was discovered now because the Inquisition is under new management that took time to review the old stored documents.

2)The Return triggered a release of electronic files setting the stage for whatever is going to happen for the Return.

2a) The Return triggers the release of Schueler's Testament in advance of the Return as a means of defanging whatever is planned for the return.

The Testament DOES reveal the Truth.

1a)The Testament was meant to reveal the Truth before the Command Crew left for Hamlicar. Chihiro either killed or incapacitated Scheuler before he could disseminate the Testament properly. Is was held by the Inquisition in some out of the way location. The discovery was due to the new management reviewing all the files of the Inquisition.

3) The Return triggers the release of the Testament to force the Returners to adjust Safehold to better prepare it for the Gbaba.

I know there are other possibilities out there. The key features revolve around Scheuler's motive for writing the piece. If it was to provide an accurate account of the founding of Safehold for posterity, he will tell the Truth. If he wants to better prepare Safehold for the Gbaba, he will tell the Truth. If he simply wants to improve Langhorne's and Bedard's plan, he will dance around the Truth.
Post by WeberFan   » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:22 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

In the LAMA prologue, we hear Nahrmahn and Owl discussing the Key, and reflects on all the times he replayed the Schueler recordings:

"We leave you a fallen world," that voice had said, speaking softly and sadly. He'd had to concentrate hard the first two or three times he'd viewed it, because a thousand years of shifting language had changed so many of its sounds so drastically, yet that had detracted nothing from that sincerity or the power of those level eyes. "It's not the world we intended, the one we were charged to create, but even Archangels can be touched by evil and twisted, bent and broken. The war which raged here on Safehold after Shan-wei's fall is proof enough of that. Yet God has His true plan for all of His Work, and especially for all of His children. I charge you in His name never to forget that. Always to remember that however we Archangels may have failed of our charge, however we may have permitted His world to be marred, it's your task to remember His love and to show a reflection of it in yourselves. It won't be an easy task. It will bring all too many of you to grief and to loss, and there will be far too many times when it seems a thankless, bitter duty. But it is the more important task any human beng could ever assume. I leave this message because I leave you as my watchmen, my wardens, the guardsmen upon the wall. The purpose o fGod's Church is to guide, to cherish, to love, and to serve His children. Do not let her stray from that high and holy charge. Do not let her slip into the errors of pride and arrogance, of the pursuit of earthly power or wealth, of forgetting the destiny for which she was created."

Others have speculated about why the Schueler Testament was undiscovered for so long. Many possible reasons, and I don't want to go down that path. But IIRC, it was Chihiro who really led the development of the "New Writ" following the detonation of the nuke and the deaths of Langhorne and others. The tone of Schueler's words is a LOT different than the Book of Schueler in the current Writ. I personally don't think that Schueler was fully on board with where he saw things going. In much the same way that Archbishop Staynair asked Merlin "Tell me, Merlin, are you Shan-wei's second arrow?" perhaps Schueler's descendants, with the artifacts Schueler left with them (the Verifier, the Key, and others?) were intended as HIS second arrow if Chihiro got too far outside the sandbox?

As for me, I'll be very interested to learn more about the Schueler Testament, but even more interested to see how it gets "discovered" and by whom. So many possibilities! Thanks David!
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:39 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

CRC wrote:"Next project: the new Safehold book, starting 20-25 years after At the Sign of Triumph (with the discovery of the Lost Testament of Schueler). Projected delivery date, end of November. Publication date, probably second half of 2018." - - RFC 06/03/2017

How deliciously EVIL can you get?!?

Now we have to go through 18 months of rampant speculation based on these four words!!!!

Let the pontificating BEGIN!

I find it very interesting that RFC has chosen to call it the Lost Testament.

When people talk about the Lost X or the Lost Y [in capitals], that usually seems to mean that it is known of, though [obviously] not known about in detail...

So, one question might be 'who knew about it'

another question - when found - will it be the result of a deliberate search or will it be stumbled upon?

OR... might it be a forgery designed back up a faction of the COGA?
Post by Isilith   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

The simplest answer is this, it comes from the Key. During the time that passes, OWL finds a way to crack the encryption in the Key, and it is in there.

Schueler left the TRUTH in the key, to save the church in her darkest hour.

Return to Safehold