Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

And then they kissed...

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: And then they kissed...
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

So glad you're doing better, David.

On another note, though - I found this and another audio discrepancy back when the audiobook was released... I don't remember what they were exactly, now, but I made note of them in this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8448

Let me see if I can find it again...
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:59 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Okay I found it. It's in Chapter 41 of the Audible edition (at around the 19 hour, 7 minute mark; or with 15 hours, 17 minutes remaining in the narration), and on page 389 (I think, this is what Kindle is telling me, I don't have a hard copy to confirm).

The quote in the text is as follows:

No, he thought, bringing his eyes back from the maps to his superior, they aren’t. They won’t like the Balloon Corps or some of our other surprises, either. And I don’t give a damn what the other side’s come up with. End of the day, our boys will kick their arses up one side and down the other. We may lose a lot of good men along the way, but this year, by God—this year—we end this frigging war.

Weber, David (2016-11-08). At the Sign of Triumph (Safehold) (p. 389). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

The narrator adds "Please God" quickly before moving on. His tone shifts obviously so it stood out to me even not having read the book on paper, but it's definitely not in the prose.
Post by WeberFan   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:18 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

I can't agree more, David. You're a husband and father. Those are... and RIGHTLY SHOULD... be the most important things in your life. It's far too easy to get caught up in things that - in the heat of the moment - seem more important. But they're not. Sometimes you just need to sit back and relax with a cup of tea, stare out the window at a beautiful sunrise, and think about how much you love Sharon and the kids... And how much they love you. And if that doesn't put things in their proper perspective, nothing will.

Be well David! In spite of all our Bit$#ing, WE CAN WAIT!
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:08 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Glad to hear that you're still around Oh Great And Glorious Mighty Wizard Weber! :D
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Chyort   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 am

Chyort
Lieutenant Commander

Amazingly glad to hear that you have taken care of your heath, and are in a better place now.

3.4 hours of sleep? :shock:

But yeah, 8 hours quality work should outpace 20 hours zombie work any day. :lol:

Anyways! Welcome back. :)
Post by phillies   » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:34 am

phillies
Admiral

Profound sympathies on the medical issue.

For what it is worth, one of the prominent Italian artists -- memory says Da Vinci or Michelangelo -- experiemnted with deliberate sleeplessness, did not like the results, and dropped it. (He did it on purpose and quit on purpose.) Afterwards he did superb work.
Post by Larry   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:20 am

Larry
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:____________________________________________

Hi, guys —

First, I’m sorry I’ve been gone so long. More about that in a minute.

<SNIP>

My a neurologist told me “Get out of the damned office and stay there for two months.” I said, “I can’t, because —” He said “Get out of the damned office and stay there for two months.” I said, “I’d love to, but —” He said, “Get out of the damned office and stay there for two months. Am I failing to make myself clear?” At which point, She Who Must Be Obeyed, said “Oh, you’re making yourself perfectly clear.”

So, starting in October, I meekly got “out of the damned office” and stayed there until after Christmas. And being “out of the damned office” included staying off of the forums, which are my only concession to “social media.”

<SNIP>

Now, as to the reason I hit the wall.

<SNIP>

Then we pulled the memory card on my CPAP machine and discovered that for a period of approximately five months I had averaged approximately 3.4 hours of sleep a night. Most of it was probably production deadlines. I wasn’t consciously getting myself up to go back to work. I was simply waking [i] up and, being unable to sleep, deciding to get up and get some work done. I thought I was dozing off in my chair while I worked because I wasn’t getting enough sleep. We now believe that was happening was that I was [i]coming to in my chair, having passed out without even realizing it.

<SNIP>

I would guess that I was probably working at somewhere around 40% efficiency, but I was still getting some work done, which is what made it impossible for me to admit I simply had to stop and recover.

<SNIP>

Now, having said all of that, I can truthfully say that I think I’m back at or near the top of my game.

<SNIP>

In short, I think the hiatus was good for the work, not just for the worker.

I’m also trying to remember the other point which Doctor Absher, in his infinitely tactful way, expressed to me. He said “David, you can’t be doing this. You’re not thirty-five anymore. You’re not even forty-five anymore. Hell,” (and he could have stopped before this next point, you understand) “you’re not even fifty-five anymore!” I thought that last little bit was gratuitous piling on, but Sharon was too busy laughing to show me a great deal of sympathy.

I am, however, trying to be good, which means I’m eating my vegetables and getting at least 6-7 hours of solid sleep every night. I’d love to get more, but that seems to be about my maximum without pharmaceutical assistance, and the whole idea is for me to find my natural sleep rhythm and stay with it.

<SNIP>

God Bless your good wife for kicking your arse up around your ears. DON'T do that again. My Father was much like you, a man who never could admit that he was overworking himself and not listening to his doctors. I visit his grave as often as I can. The sudden heart attack was his reward for his steadfast dedication for trying to put off his health and keep plugging along. You do something nice for that wonderful wife of yours she and your doctor just may have saved your life.

Mind you I'm not much smarter working a rotating 12 hour shift schedule at 58 so perhaps I should take a lesson myself.

Need more incentive to get a good nights sleep? Try the Univ. of Penn study. https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 031414.php. Your lack of sleep is literally eating your brain.No wonder you feel better and are performing better now that your getting more sleep.

Mr. Weber I love your books and I appreciate your stories, but please, please take care of your health. It's selfish of me, but I want to be buying and reading your stories for many years to come.

Larry
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:31 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Lovely to see you back again and in fine fettle! :-)
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:15 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

God has blessed you with Sharon and your children. Write as you must, but I hope that you continue to cherish your time with your family.

Be well and be happy.
Post by kaid   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:39 pm

kaid
Lieutenant Commander

Ugh glad you have found the issue and are working your way to a better balance. Complications from prolonged lack of sleep due to sleep apnea basically killed my dad. It is really not something to play around with. Do what you need to do to be healthy if that means you can keep writing then keep writing but if it comes time to stop that is always an option so you can be with your family happy and healthy.

Return to Safehold