Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests

Duchairn needs the Verifier

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Duchairn needs the Verifier
Post by Expert snuggler   » Fri May 05, 2017 10:07 pm

Expert snuggler
Captain of the List

Major Phandys knows about it. He may or may not have told the new Grand Vicar. Either possibility is interesting.

Grand Vicar Duchairn has to face the risk of sabotage by secret Clyntahn loyalists. He has a need to know which side people are on. He needs to know which Vicars were actually supporting Clyntahn and which were going along out of fear.

If Duchairn knows about the Verifier and doesn't get to use it he could reasonably feel put out.

Is this going to be a conflict between Duchairn and the EoC?

Is this an opportunity for negotiation? I could imagine "We'll make it available for your use, under seijin supervision, if you'll in turn allow a Wylsynn full access to the Temple basement".
Re: Duchairn needs the Verifier
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Fri May 05, 2017 11:16 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Good question but I suspect only David Weber knows the answer. ;)

Expert snuggler wrote:Major Phandys knows about it. He may or may not have told the new Grand Vicar. Either possibility is interesting.

Grand Vicar Duchairn has to face the risk of sabotage by secret Clyntahn loyalists. He has a need to know which side people are on. He needs to know which Vicars were actually supporting Clyntahn and which were going along out of fear.

If Duchairn knows about the Verifier and doesn't get to use it he could reasonably feel put out.

Is this going to be a conflict between Duchairn and the EoC?

Is this an opportunity for negotiation? I could imagine "We'll make it available for your use, under seijin supervision, if you'll in turn allow a Wylsynn full access to the Temple basement".
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sat May 06, 2017 1:20 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Expert snuggler wrote:Major Phandys knows about it. He may or may not have told the new Grand Vicar. Either possibility is interesting.

(SNIP)

Major Phandys knows about it? Why do you think that? I see no reason that he would had been told about it.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat May 06, 2017 9:48 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:

(SNIP)

Major Phandys knows about it? Why do you think that? I see no reason that he would had been told about it.

It was implied that it was used when he met with Merlin and Ninian at the wine shop.

Also, the verifier was known to the vicarate ,but was thought to have been lost at the time of Saint Everhard's death.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by thanatos   » Sat May 06, 2017 8:49 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

That verifier isn't going anywhere without Patyr or Nynian attached to it, no matter what demands Duchairn might make (not that he's in any position to make such a demand). The only scenario I can see is the appointment of a vicar or vicars who represents the EoC (without perhaps a right to vote in the Council) who would either be Wylsynn or else someone Wylsynn would trust with the family's heirloom.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun May 07, 2017 1:48 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
(snip of initial post which assumes that Phandys knew he was being tested by the verifier)

It was implied that it was used when he met with Merlin and Ninian at the wine shop.

Also, the verifier was known to the vicarate ,but was thought to have been lost at the time of Saint Everhard's death.

But it was disguised as being part of something else. I repeat, I see no reason that he would had been told about it.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Expert snuggler   » Sun May 07, 2017 2:41 am

Expert snuggler
Captain of the List

I had missed the part about it being disguised.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun May 07, 2017 3:21 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Expert snuggler wrote:I had missed the part about it being disguised.

And when it was used in OAR, it had to be taken out of its container, and the questionee had to place a finger on it. Phandys would have recognized it from descriptions that the Temple had from when it was lost -- sort of like the Holy Grail.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun May 07, 2017 4:29 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Nod.

When "not in use", it was disguised.

But it is very noticeable when it is used as well as the person to be "verified" having to touch it.

And as has been said, Phandys would likely have recognized it and if he didn't recognize it (at first), Duchairn would have recognized it from Phandys's description.

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Expert snuggler wrote:I had missed the part about it being disguised.

And when it was used in OAR, it had to be taken out of its container, and the questionee had to place a finger on it. Phandys would have recognized it from descriptions that the Temple had from when it was lost -- sort of like the Holy Grail.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to Safehold