Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chris86_154 and 18 guests

What's under the Temple? A new possibility.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: What's under the Temple? A new possibility.
Post by ywing14   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:32 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I find that unlikely, though I think Schueler would probably be dismayed by what he saw. I am assuming if it is in fact a PICA or 2 under there that they'll review the history of their world. I wonder if they could trying be happy with what they saw the church become. That may change their actions but I don't see it as a second string.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:12 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

One thing that needs to be kept in mind is that however sincere Schueler may have been in that hologram, he nonetheless remains one of the participants in the greatest frauds in humam history.

The has to call into question his credibility even if the Schueler of the hologram is different than the Schueler of the book that bears his name.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ywing14   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:46 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:One thing that needs to be kept in mind is that however sincere Schueler may have been in that hologram, he nonetheless remains one of the participants in the greatest frauds in humam history.

The has to call into question his credibility even if the Schueler of the hologram is different than the Schueler of the book that bears his name.

Don

-

I don't think participant does his involvement in the greatest fraud in human history justice. His very actions have thrown human society back into serfdom/slavery. Not to mention whether he was the author or not. The book of Schueler lays out techniques for torturing other individuals. It was written in his name and he bares that responsibility for he lead Safehold down that road.
Post by Joat42   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Joat42
Admiral

I've been thinking on some of the tropes that rfc uses in his books and there is one he has used before that's not present in the Safehold series so far.

In Honorverse we had the nanites and in Empire of Man we had the toombs (hacked implants taking over a person).

What if the console in the Temple cellar in conjunction with the key injects a massive amount of pre-programmed nanites taking over the person activating the console akin to a "biological pica"?

Thoughts?

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Julia Minor   » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:11 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

Ever since the Temple recon snippet, I've been wondering just how much use the TF military made of AIs.

Chihiro (or whoever) was working off a standard PDC blueprint when he built the Temple -- lots of cosmetic changes, but few if any functional changes. If PDC bunkers routinely had supervising AIs, then there should be one installed here as part of the standard blueprint. I can't picture Chihiro not assigning the Rakurai platforms to the AI, if nothing else because his fake church was supposed to last longer than the physical bodies of the "archangels".

What if Schueler lobotomized the AI? That huge file in the Key could be a virtual frontal lobe or two, and the ritual passed down through Paityr's family could be Schueler's attempt to make sure if the AI goes active, there will be a human in control of it.

Return to Safehold