Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Re-Reading the Series With the Ending in Mind

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Re-Reading the Series With the Ending in Mind
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:21 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

:D :D :D :D

WeberFan wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:Nod.

Some had wondered if Trynair could have used his "influence" over the Grand Vicar to "fight" Clyntahn.

But I always believed that the Grand Vicar would have folded before the threat of Clyntahn's anger.

The Grand Vicar might not have been very smart but likely was smart enough to know that Clyntahn wouldn't bow to him.

Oh, "delusions" was a typo on my part. ;)

Yeah, Drak.

But I'm a business traveler stuck in the Middle East for another week and I have to get my humor whenever and wherever I can! Delusions... Decisions... meh...
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by McGuiness   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:09 am

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

Once Clyntahn turned on Trynair, I felt (quoting Sherlock Holmes) that "The game was afoot."

Clyntahn threw down the gauntlet to the surviving members of the Go4 when he put Trynair through the Punishment. So whatever plans Duchairn had up his sleeve, (pun intended!) he needed to implement them quickly. Fortunately for him, the riots set off by the Inquisition's excesses in Zion finally allowed him to pull off his coup. (Although how Clyntahn failed to account for the major army training bases within a day's ride of Zion is beyond me.) I suppose that when you think you have absolute power it's hard to see that others may not believe in your "invincibility."

Magwair grew up a lot and I don't think that Clyntahn realized that, or ever considered him a threat. He was too busy peering over Duchairn's shoulder to notice where any armed opposition was likely to come from.

In the end Clyntahn received the sort of death that was politically acceptable to both sides, but not the sort we'd have liked him to suffer. I wanted him to go through the whole rigors of the Question and the Punishment, and then get the Great Reveal after his tongue was cut out to show him that his entire belief system was a lie and a hot place in Hell was waiting for him! :twisted:

I've been known to be a bit vindictive though ... :lol:

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.
Post by CRC   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

McGuiness wrote:Once Clyntahn turned on Trynair, I felt (quoting Sherlock Holmes) that "The game was afoot."

Clyntahn threw down the gauntlet to the surviving members of the Go4 when he put Trynair through the Punishment. So whatever plans Duchairn had up his sleeve, (pun intended!) he needed to implement them quickly. Fortunately for him, the riots set off by the Inquisition's excesses in Zion finally allowed him to pull off his coup. (Although how Clyntahn failed to account for the major army training bases within a day's ride of Zion is beyond me.) I suppose that when you think you have absolute power it's hard to see that others may not believe in your "invincibility."

Magwair grew up a lot and I don't think that Clyntahn realized that, or ever considered him a threat. He was too busy peering over Duchairn's shoulder to notice where any armed opposition was likely to come from.

In the end Clyntahn received the sort of death that was politically acceptable to both sides, but not the sort we'd have liked him to suffer. I wanted him to go through the whole rigors of the Question and the Punishment, and then get the Great Reveal after his tongue was cut out to show him that his entire belief system was a lie and a hot place in Hell was waiting for him! :twisted:

Clyntahn and Rayno were aware of the army base dangers, but after the top Clyntahn supporting echelon of army officers were taken out in the church explosion, Magwair moved too quickly to replace them with officers loyal to him for Clyntahn to stop him. From that point on, the army units became a threat to the Inquisition, but things started moving way too fast for Clyntahn to respond.
Post by Louis R   » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Actually, I suspect that what happened is that Clyntahn, and thus the rest of the Inquisition, assumed that he owned Guardsmen that in fact were _not_ his and never had been. Phandys being the prime example.

CRC wrote:
McGuiness wrote:Once Clyntahn turned on Trynair, I felt (quoting Sherlock Holmes) that "The game was afoot."

Clyntahn and Rayno were aware of the army base dangers, but after the top Clyntahn supporting echelon of army officers were taken out in the church explosion, Magwair moved too quickly to replace them with officers loyal to him for Clyntahn to stop him. From that point on, the army units became a threat to the Inquisition, but things started moving way too fast for Clyntahn to respond.

Return to Safehold