Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Characters aging before the next story arc.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Characters aging before the next story arc.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:40 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Michae wrote:I think any new Luddite Jihad would be bordering on suicidal ...

What gives the impression that religious fanatics are dissuaded by the prospect of suicide as long as they can take an unbeliever or two along as an honor guard?

"Nuts didn't need religion to make them nuts, Allison had long since decided, but it did seem to give them a certain added sense of commitment to whatever goals their nutdom decided to embrace."

....I'll go back to my corner now. :mrgreen:

Dauntless wrote:if we were given an exact age for him i missed it but what about the archbishop of charis himself. i believe he was of a similar to age to Caleb's father who was about 50? i think.

now admittedly the nanotech will reduce the odds of death via flu or some other disease, but still he is no spring chicken like caleb

He has been so crucial to a lot of the Church of Charis acceptance, while i'm sure that his replacement will be a good man he won't be staynair.

Okay, but consider this: if RFC kills off Maikel Staynair, I, personally, will murder him very very dead and then resurrect him to make him clean up his mess, Arthur Conan Doyle-style. And then I'll murder him again to punish him for his unmitigated gall in killing off the light of my Safeholdian life.

Staynair isn't going anywhere. :twisted:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:24 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

lol. death and resurrection may be going just a teensy bit too far Rose.

I'm sure a sternly worded letter of reprimand would do.

of course if the reprimand doesn't work, we can then consider more serious options.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:38 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:lol. death and resurrection may be going just a teensy bit too far Rose.

I'm sure a sternly worded letter of reprimand would do.

of course if the reprimand doesn't work, we can then consider more serious options.

But a sternly worded letter isn't nearly as much fun!! :mrgreen: :lol:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

true, but there are certain practicalities we must be careful of.

I have no doubt you are skilled in many things but necromancy is a dying art.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:31 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:true, but there are certain practicalities we must be careful of.

Ugh, I suppose you're right. It wouldn't do to murder him and then have my necromancy fail. How could he fix it if I can't resurrect him??

I suppose I'll have to settle for threatening him with a verbal flaying at SphinxCon. :mrgreen:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:45 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
Okay, but consider this: if RFC kills off Maikel Staynair, I, personally, will murder him very very dead and then resurrect him to make him clean up his mess, Arthur Conan Doyle-style. And then I'll murder him again to punish him for his unmitigated gall in killing off the light of my Safeholdian life.

Staynair is over 70 now. The presumption is that the next story arc starts about 20-25 years down the pike. Do you really think that he'll be around? Possible, I suppose. But it doesn't seem likely...although in my last parish, we celebrated the 100th birthday of one of our members. So it's possible...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by saber964   » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:29 pm

saber964
Admiral

n7axw wrote:
roseandheather wrote:

Staynair is over 70 now. The presumption is that the next story arc starts about 20-25 years down the pike. Do you really think that he'll be around? Possible, I suppose. But it doesn't seem likely...although in my last parish, we celebrated the 100th birthday of one of our members. So it's possible...

Don

-

Remember Staynair has OWL's nanites that prevents all diseases and cancers. Except for ordinary accidents and acts of God. He could live another 25-30 years before death.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:31 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Remember Staynair has OWL's nanites that prevents all diseases and cancers. Except for ordinary accidents and acts of God. He could live another 25-30 years before death.

You are right. But still, there is old age. To deal with that he would need prolong... Hummm... I'm 72. I wonder if I could talk RFC into extending me prolong... :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:49 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

It now seems that TFT covers 16 years of Safehold time, presumably the next 16 years, since it was reworked because the 1st draft was mostly flashbacks. [RFC viva voce at MantiCon, cf the Preorder thread p4] Given that, we will probably see all our old favourites, at least at the start of the book. Mind you, that also give slots of scope for tearful death scenes and funerals. Maybe you better order in extra tissues now Rose ;)
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Dauntless wrote:true, but there are certain practicalities we must be careful of.

roseandheather wrote:Ugh, I suppose you're right. It wouldn't do to murder him and then have my necromancy fail. How could he fix it if I can't resurrect him??

I suppose I'll have to settle for threatening him with a verbal flaying at SphinxCon. :mrgreen:

lol. i'm sure such a threat will have him on his best behaviour.

of course even on his best behaviour he so loves to kill off beloved characters.

Return to Safehold