Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Characters aging before the next story arc.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Characters aging before the next story arc.
Post by Erls   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:15 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

A couple of thoughts:

First, I am of the view that within 10 years of victory over the COGA (the end of the last book) Staynair is going to step down as head of the Church of Charis. He'll still remain involved, of course, but I think that the inner circle will view the benefits of such an "early" retirement as highly beneficial. For starters, his successor (Wyllsyn perhaps?) would have the benefit of his counsel for a many years. Beyond that, if Staynair (as an Archbishop emiritus) travels the Empire giving mass and confessionals in many cities in towns it would be a visible sign of humbleness - more proof of the difference in focus when compared to the Temple. Going further, it would set an example for future Archbishops of Charis that they are expected to step down every "x" years, and return to serving the people. Basically, Staynair will always be highly involved regardless of his position - and in a time of peace it is a better long-term strategy for him to step down early and name a successor (lead the process of appointing a new head of church) - while allowing him the freedom to spend more time as a simple priest teaching and healing the people.

Second, I think Ducharin dies very early in the next book. In fact, as it seems the discovery of the Book of Schuler is what creates the next crises, I wouldn't be surprised if that discovery leads to a heart attack. Depending upon what the Book says, such a double-blow to the COGA would be more than enough to create a planet-wide crises.
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:44 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

interesting thoughts. semi retirement and advisor to new head of the church would work VERY well.
Post by saber964   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:36 pm

saber964
Admiral

Erls wrote:A couple of thoughts:

First, I am of the view that within 10 years of victory over the COGA (the end of the last book) Staynair is going to step down as head of the Church of Charis. He'll still remain involved, of course, but I think that the inner circle will view the benefits of such an "early" retirement as highly beneficial. For starters, his successor (Wyllsyn perhaps?) would have the benefit of his counsel for a many years. Beyond that, if Staynair (as an Archbishop emiritus) travels the Empire giving mass and confessionals in many cities in towns it would be a visible sign of humbleness - more proof of the difference in focus when compared to the Temple. Going further, it would set an example for future Archbishops of Charis that they are expected to step down every "x" years, and return to serving the people. Basically, Staynair will always be highly involved regardless of his position - and in a time of peace it is a better long-term strategy for him to step down early and name a successor (lead the process of appointing a new head of church) - while allowing him the freedom to spend more time as a simple priest teaching and healing the people.

Second, I think Ducharin dies very early in the next book. In fact, as it seems the discovery of the Book of Schuler is what creates the next crises, I wouldn't be surprised if that discovery leads to a heart attack. Depending upon what the Book says, such a double-blow to the COGA would be more than enough to create a planet-wide crises.

I don't think so, Wilsahn doesn't have the rank within the church. IIRC he is a upper Priest and about two levels to low. My guess the Church of Charis will select someone who is not Charis born but maybe someone like Greyling.
Post by Erls   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

saber964 wrote:
Erls wrote:A couple of thoughts:

I don't think so, Wilsahn doesn't have the rank within the church. IIRC he is a upper Priest and about two levels to low. My guess the Church of Charis will select someone who is not Charis born but maybe someone like Greyling.

My thought there was that in the time between the two plot lines he would have been moved up the ranks of the church. Plus, from a political point of view elevating someone from such a well-respected (at least among the better elements of the Temple) family - a family also well respected by Ducharain - could only serve to help reduce any lingering tensions.

After all, it's in Charis' best interest for the COGA to become at least open to - if not accepting of - the Church of Charis. The more the COC can interact with other nations (Dohlar jumps immediately to mind, as well as South Harchong) the wider they can spread their teachings and influence.
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:14 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Weird Harold wrote:
xellos^_- wrote:why does every think the church will go corrupt again that soon?

1919 to 1939.

Also the needs of the plot. A revanchist COGA is the simplest antagonist to pit against the protagonists.

Of course it's the simplest. How does that make it the best?

Just asking, you understand.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:21 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
Weird Harold wrote: SNIP

Also the needs of the plot. A revanchist COGA is the simplest antagonist to pit against the protagonists.

Of course it's the simplest. How does that make it the best?

Just asking, you understand.

I sort of have the feeling that RFC is relaxing a bit & enjoying poking sicks into ants nests, winding them round a bit and seeing whats happens! :-)

Return to Safehold