Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Safehold-At the sign of triumph

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Safehold-At the sign of triumph
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:08 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Hi ggunn welcome to the forums. If you read around them a bit you will see that Baen didn't have the week it would have taken you to fix the typo's etc. David Weber was really behind in submitting the manuscript on this one. Also, the higher incidence of homonyms is due to the fact that he writes using voice recognition software after a broken wrist some years back left him permanently unable to do the amount of typing required.
Post by MrZero   » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:02 am

MrZero
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

There are typos, and then there are typos. "We" really aught to decide on the title by now!
---
David Weber's Page
Tuesday, November 08, 2016
A new bulletin, At the Sound of Triumph has been released, was added to the site.
--
Wikipedia page on Safehold
1.11 At the Sign of Triumph
--
my copy of the book- At the Sign of Triumph.
Post by DMcCunney   » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:44 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote:Hi ggunn welcome to the forums. If you read around them a bit you will see that Baen didn't have the week it would have taken you to fix the typo's etc.

Er, the Safehold books are all Tor books, not Baen...
:P
______
Dennis
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

DMcCunney wrote:
Randomiser wrote:Hi ggunn welcome to the forums. If you read around them a bit you will see that Baen didn't have the week it would have taken you to fix the typo's etc.

______
Dennis

True - but it doesn't affect the point I was making.
Post by Keith_w   » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:04 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Randomiser wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:quote="Randomiser" Hi ggunn welcome to the forums. If you read around them a bit you will see that Baen didn't have the week it would have taken you to fix the typo's etc.

______
Dennis/quote

True - but it doesn't affect the point I was making.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"
Wm. Shakespeare,
Romeo and Juliet
Act II Scene II
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by vtracy   » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:00 am

vtracy
Midshipman

It is interesting to note (= I note) that the question of typographical errors has risen in importance only since the emergence of ebooks. No publishing house would have - still would - published a book before intensive proof reading. With ebooks, it seems to be an accepted procedure, all under the heading of "we wanted the book to be available as soon as possible". I read a lot of ebooks (after reading pocket books for more than 40 years (I am 75)) and I am beginning to 'develop' the suspicion that often publishers use the ebook versions of their books for the first readers to proof read...
I believe that the reason given for the kind of errors (that DW is using voice recognition) is not a valid one: 1. any text that is to appear in written form( ebook included ) should be proof read.
2. If an author uses voice recognition, that puts an even greater importance on proof reading because of the limitations of the VR software.
Let us not forget: proof reading is the responsibility of the publisher not the author. The problem is that experienced proof readers (lectors?) are expensive, and they seem to be an item of cost cutting. Sadly.
Volker

Return to Safehold