Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

(SPOILERS)Duchairn and Phandys

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: (SPOILERS)Duchairn and Phandys
Post by SYED   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:13 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

He is gonna try and restore the church reputation, so why not ask for them to review all those new tech that the inquisition decided to forbid for political or economic reason, as well as. Officially approve the charisian advancements. It would be a big change.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:33 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I think that I agree with those who think that Duchairn was clued in immediately upon Phandys appointment as his bodyguard because his name was on the list. His complaining to Rayno asking that Phandys being reassigned was theater to boost Phandys' credibility in Clyntahn's mind, assuring that the assignment would stand.

I'm a bit less certain how much Phandys knew. There really wouldn't be a whole lot of reason to reveal the existence of the list to Phandys until there was a concrete need for him to know as in the need to include Phandys in on whatever action Duchairn had in mind. A secret is most secure when only one person knows it, after all. It was only when Duchairn needed to reach out to Phandys for help enginering the coup which in turn lead Phandys to reach out to Arloh that Phandys is shown the list and fully brought in.

That bit in AtSoT where Maigwair reminds Duchairn that Phandys is Clyntahn's dagger in his side is an instance of theater on Duchairn's part. Obviously Duchairn knew that, but note what doesn't get said.

I wonder how long after that final meeting with Clyntahn it took Duchairn to bring Maigwair into the plot.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:17 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Phandys had to be the lynchpin and principal driver prior to Duchairn's active commitment. Someone had to be the cutout if anything happened to Duchairn. Houwerd had to trust Duchairn with some key names but not all. Phandys most likely had some names Duchairn didn't have, and if Duchairn had never acted Phandys would have had contingency plans. In all likelihood Phandys would have connected with Helm Cleaver sooner since he would have been working on plan B.

Houwerd couldn't have made his plans with Duchairn as the foundation, but as a large and likely contingency.
Re: Duchairn and Phandys
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:One thing that always struck me about Duchairn and Phandys in the earlier books was that Duchairn never showed in his thoughts any real concern about Phandys being Rayno's spy.

For that matter, it would have been reasonable for Duchairn to suspect Phandys to be Rayno's spy but Duchairn was too sure about Phandys spying on him.

The only reason IMO that Duchairn would so sure is if Phandys had told him.

Oh I just put it down to Clyntahn being arrogant and heavy-handed. He had such contempt for Duchairn that he didn't even try to hide who his chief bodyguard was really working for. It fits right in with his desire to intimidate the rest of the GoF so he could get his own way. The Inquisition saw no need to do subtle, and lots of benefits in not.
Re: Duchairn and Phandys
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:14 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Yes, Clyntahn was the type of person to tell Duchairn that Phandys was "spying on him".

But the fact remains that Duchairn didn't seem concerned that Phandys was spying on him.

Randomiser wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:One thing that always struck me about Duchairn and Phandys in the earlier books was that Duchairn never showed in his thoughts any real concern about Phandys being Rayno's spy.

For that matter, it would have been reasonable for Duchairn to suspect Phandys to be Rayno's spy but Duchairn was too sure about Phandys spying on him.

The only reason IMO that Duchairn would so sure is if Phandys had told him.

Oh I just put it down to Clyntahn being arrogant and heavy-handed. He had such contempt for Duchairn that he didn't even try to hide who his chief bodyguard was really working for. It fits right in with his desire to intimidate the rest of the GoF so he could get his own way. The Inquisition saw no need to do subtle, and lots of benefits in not.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to Safehold