Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

[Spoiler] HMS Dreadnought

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
[Spoiler] HMS Dreadnought
Post by PyViet   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:00 pm

PyViet
Midshipman

I've read the ASoT at least three times now and I can't seem
to find out what the Dohlarans did with HMS Dreadnought. Based on the previous book they were trying to put her back into action as
soon as possible. However, I don't see more than passing mention
of the ship in this book. Can anyone clarify this up for me?
Last edited by PyViet on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: HMS Dreadnought
Post by n7axw   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:11 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

PyViet wrote:I've read the ASoT at least three times now and I can't seem
to find out what the Dohlarans did with HMS Dreadnought. Based on the previous book they were trying to put her back into action as

Hi PyViet,

Welcome to the forums. You are cordially invited to belly up to the virtual bar fot the virtual drink of your choice. It's on the house! :D

As for Dreadnought, as you say, she only gets brief mention in the book. Last we knew the Dohlarans were examining her construction technique and trying to come up with ammymition for her guns. Sinse she didn't participate in the final battle for Gorath, I would presume that they ran out of time and were unable to get her up and recommissioned.

Don
-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:47 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I believe that after the Western Squadron was destroyed, Thirsk beached his fleet and had the sailors man their forts. That appeared to include Dreadnought. No point in having her fight alone against multiple ironclads even if she ammo.

n7axw wrote:
PyViet wrote:I've read the ASoT at least three times now and I can't seem

Hi PyViet,

Welcome to the forums. You are cordially invited to belly up to the virtual bar fot the virtual drink of your choice. It's on the house! :D

As for Dreadnought, as you say, she only gets brief mention in the book. Last we knew the Dohlarans were examining her construction technique and trying to come up with ammymition for her guns. Sinse she didn't participate in the final battle for Gorath, I would presume that they ran out of time and were unable to get her up and recommissioned.

Don
-
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:21 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

probably need a spoiler warning on this thread.

peter is right.

when Thirsk docked every warship and unloaded the crews to try and help against any troop landings then that would have included Dreadnought, assuming that they had anyone one still on her given how they did not have anything to fire out of her guns.

a warship that can't shoot is much more useless then a warship that can't move.
Post by PyViet   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:00 pm

PyViet
Midshipman

Dauntless wrote:probably need a spoiler warning on this thread.

peter is right.

when Thirsk docked every warship and unloaded the crews to try and help against any troop landings then that would have included Dreadnought, assuming that they had anyone one still on her given how they did not have anything to fire out of her guns.

That seems a bit of an anticlimax since it read like the Dohlarans had at least a winter and summer to get her ready. I think even an outnumbered and undersupplied Dreadnought would've fared a lot better against the Charisian Navy than the screw galleys and shore fortifications.

By the way, how healthy is David Weber compared to the average American? I don't want to get too excited for an Arc 2 just in case he pulls a Tom Clancy or Steve Irwin on us. :(
Post by RogueWarrior   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:27 pm

RogueWarrior
Ensign

PyViet wrote:
Dauntless wrote:probably need a spoiler warning on this thread.

peter is right.

That seems a bit of an anticlimax since it read like the Dohlarans had at least a winter and summer to get her ready. I think even an outnumbered and undersupplied Dreadnought would've fared a lot better against the Charisian Navy than the screw galleys and shore fortifications.

By the way, how healthy is David Weber compared to the average American? I don't want to get too excited for an Arc 2 just in case he pulls a Tom Clancy or Steve Irwin on us. :(

Or Robert Jordan :(
Re: [Spoiler] HMS Dreadnought
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:58 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

how healthy is RFC?

now that is a good question.

i'm sure that he was banned from touching a computer for most of september, due to the strain he had put on his body turning out Shadows of Victory and most of AtST in crash mode due to other problems, some his health some family health, had disrupted his schedule.

I saw reports on this forum that he has done a couple of convention appearances in the last month or so, so I think some of that has passed but he isn't young. I think best not to get hopes up for the second arc. though there has been talk a couple of times of passing the touch to one of the kids but as i don't think any of them are out of school let alone university/college, I don't think that will be any time soon if at all.

at least safehold is kind of finished and HH is due to finish with the next book. the war good books are still wide open. i believe we are meant to see another 4 of those but i'm not sure if that will actually happen.

so in summary treat every book like a jewel as it maybe the last

Return to Safehold