Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests

David Weber, thanks for the book! Publisher, shame!

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
David Weber, thanks for the book! Publisher, shame!
Post by ollave   » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:23 pm

ollave
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I have read and enjoyed this latest episode in the Safehold saga. Downloading the maps helped me track what was going on.

What was disappointing were the number of errors from punctuation on up. I heard something about the book being delivered late and of course it's big but I wasn't looking for errors, merely falling over them. Did the publisher have anyone do any proof reading? Do publishers still proof read before publishing? (Grumble.)

The only plus was that at least this time it was available (at least on Amazon) in both the USA and the "rest of the world" concurrently, which is a kinda big deal to those of us in the English speaking "rest of world".

Again, David, thanks for the book and the series. Interesting and absorbing good fun.
Re: David Weber, thanks for the book! Publisher, shame!
Post by wild bill   » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:28 am

wild bill
Midshipman

Not so sure about the rest of the world! I ordered AtSoT in hardback from Amazon UK on the 1st March. They are now forecasting a delivery date of 26-30 November. When I asked why it hadn't shipped by the release date, I got a very offhand reply simply saying they didn't have enough copies. You would think that having over 8 months warning of my order might have allowed them to ensure adequate stocks.

Given the size and complexity of David'd Safehold books, I have enjoyed reading the series so far in hardback but might have to resort to buying it in Kindle format as well for now. Unlike the USA, unfortunately in the UK we don't even get the reduced Kindle price for those who have ordered the hardback.

All in all a pretty abysmal showing by Amazon UK.
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:30 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

wild bill wrote:Not so sure about the rest of the world! I ordered AtSoT in hardback from Amazon UK on the 1st March. They are now forecasting a delivery date of 26-30 November. When I asked why it hadn't shipped by the release date, I got a very offhand reply simply saying they didn't have enough copies. You would think that having over 8 months warning of my order might have allowed them to ensure adequate stocks.

Given the size and complexity of David'd Safehold books, I have enjoyed reading the series so far in hardback but might have to resort to buying it in Kindle format as well for now. Unlike the USA, unfortunately in the UK we don't even get the reduced Kindle price for those who have ordered the hardback.

Same here... I thought it was just me, or maybe that I was on the end of some sort of 'we'll teach you' event for not using Amazon Prime [tin foil hat alert] :evil:
Post by chrisd   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:05 pm

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

isaac_newton wrote:
wild bill wrote:Not so sure about the rest of the world! I ordered AtSoT in hardback from Amazon UK on the 1st March. They are now forecasting a delivery date of 26-30 November. When I asked why it hadn't shipped by the release date, I got a very offhand reply simply saying they didn't have enough copies. You would think that having over 8 months warning of my order might have allowed them to ensure adequate stocks.

Same here... I thought it was just me, or maybe that I was on the end of some sort of 'we'll teach you' event for not using Amazon Prime [tin foil hat alert] :evil:

The same has happened to me, even though it is actually a "moot point" as I am out of the country until 7/12/16 so it SHOULD be at home when I return, not that I'm holding my breath.
Post by Thrandir   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:10 am

Thrandir
Commander

Mine arrived last Thursday after a slight shipping delay.
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:46 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

I toyed with buying the hardback from Amazon UK so as to have a nice paper book. Sooo glad I went for the Kindle version, which arrived on schedule a few minutes into 8th Nov!
Post by 6L6   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:41 am

6L6
Commander

I don't mind the punctuation errors, I was glad to receive the book on time from Amazon, the first time on time, as RFC and the publisher were under time constraints.
Post by wild bill   » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:37 pm

wild bill
Midshipman

Just had an email from Amazon - it's on the way! Should be delivered tomorrow. I may be off the air for some time!
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:43 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

wild bill wrote:Just had an email from Amazon - it's on the way! Should be delivered tomorrow. I may be off the air for some time!

Me too - mine's due on Monday 28th
- just as well, I suppose, as I have some other stuff that I must get done first :-)
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:10 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Wild Bill, Say it ain't so!!!
Does Amazon UK offer the eBook version for $2.90 US?

Well. As soon as you get it, stock up on your favorite beverage and snack and turn off the phone and TV.

This may be his finest work yet!!!

Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Safehold