Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

Spoilers (I guess): Merlin and Nynian

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Spoilers (I guess): Merlin and Nynian
Post by Keith_w   » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:46 am

Keith_w
Commodore

phillies wrote:Y chromosomes are notable for carrying almost no active genes. One could always be procured from someplace, or pulled up from a file on human genetics. Caleb might be agreeable to parting with a copy of his. There is no real issue here.

McGuiness wrote:I'm willing to bet that the TF kept digital copies of its personnel's DNA. So Nimue's DNA may exist in digital form somewhere in OWL's database. If it does, then surely the technology exists for nannites to splice and dice and replicate digital DNA. Add that to an unfertilized egg, and you get a baby girl! (Because Nimue is female and has no Y chromosome.)

So Nynian and Merlin can have a baby and name her Guenevere. I bet they'd outfit her with a NEAT too. No reason for Aunt Nimue to be smarter than their little girl! :lol:

Not to be a nitpicker, but since both Merlin and Nimue are picas there are no other chromosomes either.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Hildum   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Hildum
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:
That is a wonderful question. It is said that PICAs can do everything normal people can do. Perhaps there is a way to supply the missing bio component. As weird as it sounds, who knows It is science fiction after all... :lol:

Don

-

Would not be that difficult. We could probably do it today if we had to.
Post by phillies   » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:24 pm

phillies
Admiral

Hildum wrote:
n7axw wrote:
That is a wonderful question. It is said that PICAs can do everything normal people can do. Perhaps there is a way to supply the missing bio component. As weird as it sounds, who knows It is science fiction after all... :lol:

Don

-

Would not be that difficult. We could probably do it today if we had to.

Nimue Alban's medical records are almost certainly on file, including her DNA and methylation sequences. Replacing her chromosomes is almost certainly a non-issue. Indeed, Hogan at one time used "manned" space travel in which the robot traveled to the new star system with the DNA sequences stored as computer files, and then created man be first synthesizing the DNA of each passenger.

Return to Safehold