Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Spoilers (I guess): Merlin and Nynian

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Spoilers (I guess): Merlin and Nynian
Post by n7axw   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:36 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:
wkernochan wrote:I guess this is the appropriate point to note that, strictly speaking, this is same-sex incest. However, that's a minor point. The real question is:

(wait for it)

What's the baby going to be?!!!

And why do you think Merlin can impregnate anyone?

That is a wonderful question. It is said that PICAs can do everything normal people can do. Perhaps there is a way to supply the missing bio component. As weird as it sounds, who knows It is science fiction after all... :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:35 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Well, the Terran Federation likely had artificial wombs and extremely good methods of artificial insemination.

So the TF had no reason to create PICAs that could actually impregnate a person.

Of course, it is extremely unlikely the Nimue's Cave contained any "DNA" samples of the original Nimue so the likelihood of creating "sperm" for for Merlin is low.

Of course, I suspect you know that but are just having fun. :lol:

n7axw wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:

That is a wonderful question. It is said that PICAs can do everything normal people can do. Perhaps there is a way to supply the missing bio component. As weird as it sounds, who knows It is science fiction after all... :lol:

Don

-
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:And why do you think Merlin can impregnate anyone?

Don

-

And remember that Nimue was female. Merlin has no Y chromosome DNA available, period.
Post by phillies   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:03 pm

phillies
Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:
wkernochan wrote:I guess this is the appropriate point to note that, strictly speaking, this is same-sex incest. However, that's a minor point. The real question is:

(wait for it)

What's the baby going to be?!!!

There is specific textev on this, someplace. PICAs cannot engender children, but can carry on with each other.
Post by McGuiness   » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:50 am

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

I'm willing to bet that the TF kept digital copies of its personnel's DNA. So Nimue's DNA may exist in digital form somewhere in OWL's database. If it does, then surely the technology exists for nannites to splice and dice and replicate digital DNA. Add that to an unfertilized egg, and you get a baby girl! (Because Nimue is female and has no Y chromosome.)

So Nynian and Merlin can have a baby and name her Guenevere. I bet they'd outfit her with a NEAT too. No reason for Aunt Nimue to be smarter than their little girl! :lol:

Merlin would have to kiss his down time goodbye for a year or so... ;)
DrakBibliophile wrote:Well, the Terran Federation likely had artificial wombs and extremely good methods of artificial insemination.

So the TF had no reason to create PICAs that could actually impregnate a person.

Of course, it is extremely unlikely the Nimue's Cave contained any "DNA" samples of the original Nimue so the likelihood of creating "sperm" for for Merlin is low.

Of course, I suspect you know that but are just having fun. :lol:
n7axw wrote:That is a wonderful question. It is said that PICAs can do everything normal people can do. Perhaps there is a way to supply the missing bio component. As weird as it sounds, who knows It is science fiction after all... :lol:

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.
Post by shalafi   » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:46 am

shalafi
Midshipman

I think DW has something else in mind for Nynian see the the Glossary at the end of at the sign of triumph. She is supposed to marry the Emperor of Harchong, so I'm guessing this is just a fling.
Post by phillies   » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 pm

phillies
Admiral

shalafi wrote:I think DW has something else in mind for Nynian see the the Glossary at the end of at the sign of triumph. She is supposed to marry the Emperor of Harchong, so I'm guessing this is just a fling.

Would that be the Emperor Merlin? After all, if you want a government people will trust, hiring a semidivine being as Emperor surely works in Harchong.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:12 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Different Nynian who lived long before Merlin woke up. ;)

shalafi wrote:I think DW has something else in mind for Nynian see the the Glossary at the end of at the sign of triumph. She is supposed to marry the Emperor of Harchong, so I'm guessing this is just a fling.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Expert snuggler   » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:56 am

Expert snuggler
Captain of the List

One of Cayleb's first thoughts about Merlin was that he'd never seen a lonelier man.

It's a bit of a departure for Merlin to have a relationship. Good match, though!

There's a lot of underexplored character portrayal. Put this and the water polo scene together with Nimue Alban's intimacy-free organic life and you've got a transgender bisexual asexual person. That is as much part of the character as the guilty feelings over all the people he's killed. It probably affects how he sees the world and reacts to it.
Post by phillies   » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:38 pm

phillies
Admiral

Y chromosomes are notable for carrying almost no active genes. One could always be procured from someplace, or pulled up from a file on human genetics. Caleb might be agreeable to parting with a copy of his. There is no real issue here.

McGuiness wrote:I'm willing to bet that the TF kept digital copies of its personnel's DNA. So Nimue's DNA may exist in digital form somewhere in OWL's database. If it does, then surely the technology exists for nannites to splice and dice and replicate digital DNA. Add that to an unfertilized egg, and you get a baby girl! (Because Nimue is female and has no Y chromosome.)

So Nynian and Merlin can have a baby and name her Guenevere. I bet they'd outfit her with a NEAT too. No reason for Aunt Nimue to be smarter than their little girl! :lol:

Return to Safehold