Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Spoilers (I guess): Merlin and Nynian

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Spoilers (I guess): Merlin and Nynian
Post by sdwoodwa   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:20 am

sdwoodwa
Midshipman

Reading through At The Sign of Triumph, it struck me that Merlin and Nynian were much more affectionate/close than in the previous books. Did I miss something where they started dating? In the previous books they showed mutual respect and were very polite, but in this one they were cuddled up on couches. When did this change?

Yeah, I know weird post, but thanks for reading and considering.
Re: Spoilers (I guess): Merlin and Nynian
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:35 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

it did surprise me a little. there were hints when he was carrying her to the Tomb of St Khody but as that was pre the truth I had expected it would be a while (if ever) that they went any further.
Post by wkernochan   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:59 am

wkernochan
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I guess this is the appropriate point to note that, strictly speaking, this is same-sex incest. However, that's a minor point. The real question is:

(wait for it)

What's the baby going to be?!!!
Post by Peter2   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:11 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:it did surprise me a little. there were hints when he was carrying her to the Tomb of St Khody but as that was pre the truth I had expected it would be a while (if ever) that they went any further.

It's possibly less surprising when you consider that it was a trek of some miles that had to be performed on snow-shoes. Being well out of practice, Nynian would have been exhausted long before they got there.
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:44 am

Dilandu
Admiral

wkernochan wrote:I guess this is the appropriate point to note that, strictly speaking, this is same-sex incest. However, that's a minor point. The real question is:

(wait for it)

Assuming that both of them are gender-less PICA of one personality, this is basically self-pleasuring)
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by phillies   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:55 am

phillies
Admiral

I hate to break the news, but you are confusing Nynian and Nimue. Nynian AKA Angelick Phonda is dating -- a bit further than 'couch' -- Merlin. Nynian snores, or so we are told by Prince Narhman. Nimue does not engage in pointless physical activities, like breathing.

wkernochan wrote:I guess this is the appropriate point to note that, strictly speaking, this is same-sex incest. However, that's a minor point. The real question is:

(wait for it)

Post by saber964   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:53 am

saber964
Admiral

My guess is it's a cover for them getting together during Merlin's off duty time with out arousing anything more than a few eyebrows.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:18 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

(wait for it)

A big surprise?
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:18 pm

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

C. O. Thompson wrote:

(wait for it)

A big surprise?

Actually I could see them setting up a sort of orphanage together, adopting orphaned children and raising them in the knowledge of the Teran Federation.
Post by n7axw   » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:44 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I think that the relationship grew out of the trip to the cave and later to St Khody's tomb. For that matter, I think that you can make a case for tracing its origins to that conversation at the beginning of LAMA where Nynian outs Merlin.

As for PICAs being genderless, well no. Gender has at least as much to do with identity as it does biology. Even in our here and now, biology can to a limited degree be reconfigured to match identity... witness Bruce Jenner.

In Merlin's case he assumed masculine identity to meet the needs of his mission. He reconfigures his PICA accordingly and eventually we find him responding to women. It will be interesting to see how it works for Nimue who retains the feminine identity of Nimue Alban in terms of what relationships she develops and how she handles intimacy.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold