Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

SO what do I do now?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: SO what do I do now?
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:01 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Larry wrote:Well fellow gentle readers, I am now in a quandary. I have polished off Shadow of Victory and At the Sign of Triumph. The elections are over and no truly stunning technological revolutions appear in the offing. Having read all the books on my waiting list what am I to do with my spare time now? Oh sure there's the boring little matter of home repairs and school and work and helping out with my aging and ill relatives, but what I mean is What can I do for fun? Honestly All I see now is chores. Somehow now that I don't have the anticipation of waiting on the next DW missive I, well I just don't know what to do? My gosh, must I return to <Dare I say it> reality???
But it seems so grey, and dull!

Sigh

Larry

Try Laurence Dahners "Ell Donsaii"-books (or any of his other works). Very good to read, every single one of them.

Or ... learn a new language! ;) How about German, so you can read the world's oldest and biggest SciFi-universe still in publication (Perry Rhodan) in original language? It started in September 1961 and since then there is a new installment every single week ... To date, they're near #2.900.
Post by Fiannawolf   » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:40 am

Fiannawolf
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Here's the people I read while waiting for more Weber:

The Empire's Corps by Chris Nuttall
Auberon (Jessica Keller Chronicles #1) by Blaze Ward
Honor and Duty by Sam Schall
A Soldier's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #1) by Jean Johnson
Outsystem (The Intrepid Saga #1) by Michael Cooper
The Long Way Home (Sequoyah, #1) by Sabrina Chase
No Honor in Death (Siobhan Dunmoore Book 1) by Eric Thomson
Agent Cormac by Neal Asher
House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds

SO many books....so little time.
Post by Peter2   » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Two other modern authors whose books I enjoy are Peter F Hamilton and Ben Aaronovitch
Post by Louis R   » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

And then, of course, there's the Great Old Ones: Poul Anderson, Hal Clement, Gordon Dickson, James White and so on. Why read a lesser Evil?

Peter2 wrote:Two other modern authors whose books I enjoy are Peter F Hamilton and Ben Aaronovitch
Post by saber964   » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:58 pm

saber964
Admiral

Well you could also eagerly wait on A Call to Vengeance which is due out in March. Or you can bug Ringo about Empire of Man #5. Or maybe read all of the novels and novellas in the the Expanse. Or read the Ember War saga (8 books) or read some really old SiFic like Princess of Mars by ERB.
Post by MrZero   » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:59 am

MrZero

After I finished reading SH 8, I got over it by reading the Harrington series. (The main storyline books, not the sideseries.) That's one way to get over a delayed-next-book hiatus. :lol:
May I suggest reading the Asprin's Thieves World, McKinney's Robotech, or Martin's Wild Card series? (old faves, y'know) If we're going to stick with Weber, I'd suggest Dahak series or at least the "Out of the Dark" or Apocalypse Troll single-novels.
WOW Thanks everyone!
Post by Larry   » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:59 am

Larry
Lieutenant Commander

Lots of good suggestions in this list. Something tells me that Amazon is going to make a few bucks off of me for Christmas this year. I may have to get a bigger Tablet to read all the Kindle editions on.

Larry
Post by Larry   » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:11 am

Larry
Lieutenant Commander

Eagleeye wrote:
Try Laurence Dahners "Ell Donsaii"-books (or any of his other works). Very good to read, every single one of them.

Or ... learn a new language! ;) How about German, so you can read the world's oldest and biggest SciFi-universe still in publication (Perry Rhodan) in original language? It started in September 1961 and since then there is a new installment every single week ... To date, they're near #2.900.

TWO THOUSAND, NINE HUNDRED EPISODES!!!! Great googly Mooglies, I wouldn't know where to start. And I thought the Lensmen series was stretching a plot line but 2,900 and counting.... I'm actually at a loss for words.
That's impressive.

Larry
Post by Keith_w   » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:57 am

Keith_w
Commodore

MrZero wrote:After I finished reading SH 8, I got over it by reading the Harrington series. (The main storyline books, not the sideseries.) That's one way to get over a delayed-next-book hiatus. :lol:
May I suggest reading the Asprin's Thieves World, McKinney's Robotech, or Martin's Wild Card series? (old faves, y'know) If we're going to stick with Weber, I'd suggest Dahak series or at least the "Out of the Dark" or Apocalypse Troll single-novels.

There's other good stuff too if you don't want MilSF, like Robert J. Sawyer's most recent "Quantum Nights", or what I am plowing through right now - "Area X" (the Southern Reach Trilogy) by Jeff Vandermeer, which Stephen King blurbed as "Creepy".
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Rnewman   » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:18 am

Rnewman

You might try the "Omega Force" series by Joshua Dalzelle. He's done eight in the series so far, though it seems he might have finally come to the end of his plan, it's been enjoyable so far.

It's not "hard" science fiction, but it seems well planned out and I've quite enjoyed it. Lots of unexpected plot twists and turns for sure!

Return to Safehold