Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

SPOILER Minor point I did not follow

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
SPOILER Minor point I did not follow
Post by phillies   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:09 am

phillies
Admiral

It was a wonderful book.

About half way through there was a paragraph I found confusing. I didn't realize how confusing until I read the rest of the book, at which point the paragraph was lost (I have the paper version).

In any event, one character remarks to the other that the gang of four is now the gang of three, even though we are well before the point at which Trynair is executed. The other remarks that 'we know that at least one archangel had placed a booby trap in the temple basement'. how could this be known? I am sure the author has some highly ingenious scheme for explaining these bits, but I found the exchange to be obscure.
Re: SPOILER Minor point I did not follow
Post by dobriennm   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:29 am

dobriennm
Commander

phillies wrote:It was a wonderful book.

About half way through there was a paragraph I found confusing. I didn't realize how confusing until I read the rest of the book, at which point the paragraph was lost (I have the paper version).

In any event, one character remarks to the other that the gang of four is now the gang of three, even though we are well before the point at which Trynair is executed. The other remarks that 'we know that at least one archangel had placed a booby trap in the temple basement'. how could this be known? I am sure the author has some highly ingenious scheme for explaining these bits, but I found the exchange to be obscure.

Probably a reference to the "command station" mentioned by Paityr Wylsynn where the "Key" would be used in the hour of the Church's greatest need. No one's sure what exactly happens, but the visions of the Archangel Schueler said something would happen.

Not a booby trap in the normal sense, just in the sense no one wants to activate it and see what happens.
Post by dobriennm   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:34 am

dobriennm
Commander

By the way, your booby trap reference is on page 320 near the bottom - I have both the Kindle and hardcover versions
Post by StealthSeeker   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:45 am

StealthSeeker
Commander

phillies wrote:It was a wonderful book.

While Trynair was still alive and physically part of the group of 4, he was no longer an effective part of the group. He had been the political conduit to other countries to form the jihad to attack Charis. With the way the war was going, where there was no longer a large group of countries to coordinate with, he no longer controlled a powerful function within the group of 4. He had become the useless proverbial spare tire at that point.
-
-
I think therefore I am.... I think

Return to Safehold