Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

First impressions and thoughts about AtSoT----Spoiler Thread

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: First impressions and thoughts about AtSoT----Spoiler Th
Post by ecortez   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:13 pm

ecortez
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

blackjack217 wrote:One thing that really surprised me was how the Grand Fornicator offed Rayno. Not that he'd end up rewarding Rayno's loyalty in such a fashion, but that he'd actually get his own hands dirty. And that it would actually work. I did not expect him to actually be able to knife someone like that given how much we've been told he's a total lightweight physically. Rayno died pretty quickly for a knife wound.

It doesn't take the strength of a Titan to stab someone with a sharp blade. Or any real skill to attack from behind when they're not expecting it. Get them in the right spot in the upper left torso and yes, they will die pretty fast!
Post by blackjack217   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:58 am

blackjack217
Captain (Junior Grade)

Keith_w wrote:Where did you see that he was lightweight physically - there were several tome when he lost his temper and started destroying his apartments' furnishings.

Well, the same scene mentions that he has to stop to rest frequently because he's horribly out of shape. And the fact that he has huge appetites and is morbidly obese is frequently mentioned.
Post by phillies   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:06 am

phillies
Admiral

Nimue seems to get less time than Merlin, at key points. And Merlin, of course, is now seriously distracted.

We may imagine, next book, Nimue proposing to take leave, either to teach at the university or to serve as Duke Delthak's #1 assistant.
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:55 am

Keith_w
Commodore

blackjack217 wrote:
Keith_w wrote:Where did you see that he was lightweight physically - there were several tome when he lost his temper and started destroying his apartments' furnishings.

Well, the same scene mentions that he has to stop to rest frequently because he's horribly out of shape. And the fact that he has huge appetites and is morbidly obese is frequently mentioned.

Yeah, hard to reconcile the 2 images - tossing furnishings around, and having to take a break while escaping. On the other hand, I would have a hard time with a 17 mile march through a tunnel, as would, I suspect, many of us here sitting at a desk typing on our computers. OMG was I just sympathetic to the Grand Fornicator? Bad Keith, Bad, Bad, Keith.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by evilauthor   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:27 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Don't forget that Clyntahn also personally inflicted the Punishment on Charis' original Archbishop and Gwyllim Manthyr. He's no stranger to PERSONALLY inflicting harm on people, although he usually does it when there's no personal risk to himself.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:20 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

At 70 I'm an old duffer. I am quite strong but lack endurance. So the image of Clyntahn throwing around furniture and needing frequent rest stops on a long walk goes together quite well for me.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold