Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

First impressions and thoughts about AtSoT----Spoiler Thread

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
First impressions and thoughts about AtSoT----Spoiler Thread
Post by n7axw   » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:35 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Spoiler thread...

First, thanks to RFC for what is truly a masterpiece. Best yet in the Safehold series...

So... in random order some thoughts...

Best prognosticator: PeterZ. His visualization of how the final book would lay out was the closest to how it actually happened earned him the mirror ball of prognosticaton. The only exception to this was his little fantasy about Rayno. Otherwise, congrats, Peter... I really did a better job with LAMA.

Romantic moment: Fancy Merlin and Nynian in bed. Wonder if RoseandHeather has read the book by this time... Bet she is in rapture if she has. :lol:

Most poignant moment: Reconcilliation between Thirsk and Ahlverez. That was very touching and the highlight of the book for me.

Biggest disappointment: In the end the inquisition is still there, broken and bowed, but still there. COGA'S political power is vastly diminished but not broken. Allies stop before war aims are achieved setting up the next war 20 years down the way.

Saddest moment: When Eraystor blows up with Zhaztro and all hands..

Meanderings: Am pleased with progress toward reconcilliation between Charis and Dohlar. My own speculation about how Dohlar comes out of the war here turned out to be pretty close.

It wasn't clear if S. Harchong has suceeded from N. Harchong. They seem to be bargaining with the Alliance to get their boys home. N. Harchong on the other hand wants nothing to do with its vets. Invite them to gather their families to Silverlode, maybe. I wonder if N. Harchong's vets will be allowed to reclaim their families. It will be interesting to see how all of that plays out.

So Duchairn and Maigwair end up being the survivors, at least for now. Instead of a Group of four, a Group of two... Duchairn has the moral authority as Grand Vicar... Maigwair brings in the troops to enforce order.

Don

-
Last edited by n7axw on Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Re: First impressions and thoughts about AtSoT
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:56 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, Don. I will agree that I was navel gazing RFC's description of Rayno.

I do believe the serfs of N. Harchong and slaves of Desnair will force the CoGA into a political morass in the second story arc. That will be fun to read about.
Re: First impressions and thoughts about AtSoT----Spoiler Th
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:12 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

it was an excellent conclusion to the current arc.

given how much time was spent building up just how unstoppable the king Harlad VII's were going to be I was a little disappointed by how little butt they were given to destroy.

I know merlin explained that really they were not meant as warships as much as tech demonstrator but aside from shelling one city the Manther didn't really have the chance to really scare people with what it could do.
Post by DaltonSpence   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:44 pm

DaltonSpence
Midshipman

So that's it for this series. A very good ending ... of the beginning. The next Safehold series should pick up the story a decade down the road (maybe 5 to 10 years real time if we're lucky) as preparations are made for the "Return of the Archangels". Things will be both better and worse, with new schisms and heresies complicating politics and religion. Clyntahn's final words were both witnessed and remembered, as were the Inner Circle's reaction (or lack thereof), spawning new rumors and theories bearing an uncomfortable resemblance to the truth. The children of AtSoT are teenagers now, ready to take their own places in history. And times are about to get ... even more interesting.

Dalton “who can wait for a sequel ... but not too long” Spence
Post by evilauthor   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:45 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:Romantic moment: Fancy Merlin and Nynian in bed. Wonder if RoseandHeather has read the book by this time... Bet she is in rapture if she has. :lol:

Although not said outright that they're dating, I did find it suspicious that Merlin kept calling Nynian "love".

Biggest disappointment: In the end the inquisition is still there, broken and bowed, but still there. COGA'S political power is vastly diminished but not broken. Allies stop before war aims are achieved setting up the next war 20 years down the way.

On the flip side, the Order of Schueler no longer controls the Inquisition... assuming the Order of Schueler even still exists. Control of the Inquisition is now split between three Orders, two of which are the HEALING Orders. Checks and Balances.

Also, I suspect that in the long run, it doesn't matter if the CoGA continues to exist or not. What matters is that the innovation bug is spread world wide. As long as the CoGA adopts the Church of Charis' attitude towards innovation (ie allow anything as long as the exact letter of the Proscriptions isn't violated), then Merlin has essentially "won".

With Duchairne in charge, I have no doubt the CoGA is going to become more permissive where innovation is concerned. After all, the ENTIRE WORLD has just had an object lesson on how useful fast transport and travel is, and Duchairne had seen more of it than most. I can certainly see him encouraging the adoption of steam powered rail roads and ships. If nothing else, cutting down travel time would make the "Archbishops stay in their Archbishoprics for 8 months out of the year" more palatable.

Saddest moment: When Eraystor blows up with Zhaztro and all hands..

The irony is, this actually proves that the King Haraalds weren't overkill at all. If the Manthyr hadn't been there, the attack on Gorath might very well have FAILED then and there.

Meanderings: Am pleased with progress toward reconcilliation between Charis and Dohlar. My own speculation about how Dohlar comes out of the war here turned out to be pretty close.

Ditto. I was pretty damn sure Charis wasn't going to be excessively vengeful like demanding Ranyld's head.

It wasn't clear if S. Harchong has suceeded from N. Harchong. They seem to be bargaining with the Alliance to get their boys home. N. Harchong on the other hand wants nothing to do with its vets. Invite them to gather their families to Silverlode, maybe. I wonder if N. Harchong's vets will be allowed to reclaim their families. It will be interesting to see how all of that plays out.

There's been no secession yet. Largely because the Mighty Host hasn't returned home yet when the book ended. It's the subject of speculation of what'll happen if an when that happens.
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:32 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

The Mighty Host will head down to South Harchong. Rainbow Waters and Windsong know returning to N. Harchong will mean assassination for all the returning nobles. They promised to keep the other alive. They will sell the idea to move the MH to the South in order to chastise those reprobate Desnairians for abandoning their allies in the jihad.

The CoGA in N. Harchong will agree to that as a means lashing out against an available target and the aristocracy will find keeping those soldiers away but doing something profitable like annexing most of Howard. The down south they will use those progressive aristos and soldiers to further prune back bureaucratic power while expanding their wealth.

Dohlar and Siddermark will both support moving those troops south. Charis will acquiesce and do the transporting. Desnair will cry rivers and be forced to adopt new techniques and technology or die. I suspect Cayleb and Sharley will allow Duke Kohlman to introduce tech to Desnair. Hello long proxy war!
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

I think the Mighty Host might end up leading a revolution. After all, we know that some of the North Harchong soldiers have wives and kids back home.

They will want to go home; they aren't going to look very favourably on aristocrats who want to stop them doing that. Especially if the aristocrats who they trust and respect (like Rainbow Waters) are also being ordered to stay away from North Harchong.

If the North Harchong aristocracy/bureaucracy is smart enough to pour piss out of a boot, they'll resettle the soldiers with their families in some island like Green Hills. If they're not, things could get ... unpleasant.
Post by Keith_w   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:01 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

evilauthor wrote:
n7axw wrote:Romantic moment: Fancy Merlin and Nynian in bed. Wonder if RoseandHeather has read the book by this time... Bet she is in rapture if she has. :lol:

Although not said outright that they're dating, I did find it suspicious that Merlin kept calling Nynian "love".

They're not dating. P681:
"This had better be important, Nahrmanh." he subvocalized over his built-in com link, glaring at the image Owl projected into his vision and very careful not to disturb the head resting peacefully on his shoulder or the body nestled close against him.
"I never realized Nynian snored," Nahrmahn replied with a twinkle. "That's actually sort of reassuring. mean, she's so formidable in so many ways."

I am pretty sure this means that they are way past dating.

I wish that I had bought a searchable version.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by blackjack217   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:40 pm

blackjack217
Captain (Junior Grade)

One thing that really surprised me was how the Grand Fornicator offed Rayno. Not that he'd end up rewarding Rayno's loyalty in such a fashion, but that he'd actually get his own hands dirty. And that it would actually work. I did not expect him to actually be able to knife someone like that given how much we've been told he's a total lightweight physically. Rayno died pretty quickly for a knife wound.
Post by Keith_w   » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:44 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

blackjack217 wrote:One thing that really surprised me was how the Grand Fornicator offed Rayno. Not that he'd end up rewarding Rayno's loyalty in such a fashion, but that he'd actually get his own hands dirty. And that it would actually work. I did not expect him to actually be able to knife someone like that given how much we've been told he's a total lightweight physically. Rayno died pretty quickly for a knife wound.

Where did you see that he was lightweight physically - there were several tome when he lost his temper and started destroying his apartments' furnishings.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Safehold