Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

MacMillan is really doing a Pi## Poor Job

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
MacMillan is really doing a Pi## Poor Job
Post by WeberFan   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:28 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

I need to get the ePub version of AtSoT. When one goes to the MacMillan site and navigates down to the "buy the book" section, you can select various options and formats.

Over time, I've discovered that the only eBook vendor selling the ePub format is eBooks.com. Everyone else at the site has their own proprietary format - B&N Nook (I don't have that device), iBooks (Apple format), Amazon (whatever format they use, it isn't ePub, and I don't want to load the Kindle app to my machine), and some others.

But even now, 38 hours after the scheduled release time for the book, eBooks.com says I can only "pre-order" the book and that they'll "notify me by eMail when it's available."

Very frustrating to say the least, and rather indicative of someone's incompetence. Of course the guilty party will probably get promoted.

So (for those of you who have already gotten the book), gloat at will. I will suffer in silence - other than this rant.
Re: MacMillan is really doing a Pi## Poor Job
Post by ihop2100   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:25 pm

ihop2100
Midshipman

The amazon kindle addition is being sold with out DRM. I think you can convert that the epub format with calibre.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:33 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

For that matter, the B&N version is an epub format and since it is also without DRM, you can read it in a non-Nook device.

Note, the Original Poster should check out KoboBooks. They sell epub formated ebooks.

ihop2100 wrote:The amazon kindle addition is being sold with out DRM. I think you can convert that the epub format with calibre.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by n7axw   » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:31 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:For that matter, the B&N version is an epub format and since it is also without DRM, you can read it in a non-Nook device.

Note, the Original Poster should check out KoboBooks. They sell epub formated ebooks.

ihop2100 wrote:The amazon kindle addition is being sold with out DRM. I think you can convert that the epub format with calibre.

IIRC, my computers came with software to equip you to deal with B&N just as my nook comes with a kindle reader.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by MrZero   » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:27 am

MrZero
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Did anyone else see any typos? What was your errors score? :mrgreen:
-
This Errors List was taken from one of the digital versions, and efforts to compare it to the hardcover have proven time-consuming and... difficult.
148 attracks
311 unfortunatly he couldn't,Still
322 they'd on shipping
368 severn
442 there!So
465 the obeyed
486 SANRC'S
587 Safehold is alive
-
Post by Keith_w   » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:53 am

Keith_w
Commodore

MrZero wrote:Did anyone else see any typos? What was your errors score? :mrgreen:
-
This Errors List was taken from one of the digital versions, and efforts to compare it to the hardcover have proven time-consuming and... difficult.
148 attracks
311 unfortunatly he couldn't,Still
322 they'd on shipping
368 severn
442 there!So
465 the obeyed
486 SANRC'S
587 Safehold is alive
-

I saw some of those, especially the last which I was going to comment on, but didn't, 'cause it caused me the most grief understanding :) before realizing that it was a computer mis-hearing "a lie" and that the editorial staff missed it. I was just happy to have the book in my hand to be read.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by WeberFan   » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:46 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

DrakBibliophile wrote:For that matter, the B&N version is an epub format and since it is also without DRM, you can read it in a non-Nook device.

Drak - I thank you for the help. I DID go to Kobobooks and got it there without issue. Both MacMillan and eBooks.com responded to my notes after a couple of days and said that the file they had was corrupted.

Of course now Kobobooks is spamming my eMail inbox... Think I'll set up a rule to auto-route all eMails from them straight to the trash heap.

Return to Safehold