Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

SPOILER- Thank you so very much RFC for AtSoT!-SPOILER

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: SPOILER- Thank you so very much RFC for AtSoT!-SPOILER
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:20 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Let's review Merlin and Nynian's relationship.

Merlin-
A young woman who adopted the role of being a man to the point of identifying as a man. Someone who has spent her entire life fighting a war that she knew would end in her death. She was given a reprieve under Commodore Pei and chose to sacrifice her life. Even though Merlin did not remember making that choice, it was a choice his personality matrix could easily have made. Since waking on Safehold, Merlin has spent his time fighting a clandestine war for the lives of people most of whom who would hate him if they new what he truly was. She grew up avoiding intimacy and he lived on Safehold guarding the secret of his identity, the secret of what he is. those that knew his secret were friends but almost all were unsuitable for intimacy. Finding someone that was suitable and would be honestly attracted to that truth would appear to him as impossible.

Nynian-
A woman who was rejected by her parents but embraced by a sisterhood of clandestine radicals sworn to honor a larger than life male ubermensch. She spent her life in the organization playing the role of a courtesan.....well being a courtesan. That is playing a role that involved real and feigned intimacy that always hid away big pieces of herself. The only people she truly trusted and could be as open as she could have been was with the women of her sisterhood. She states that she was a sensuous person and that attribute was directed at men. Yet, she could be open only to women.

Is it any that when she finds out that there truly still are larger than life ubermensch, she will be attracted to him? Any wonder that when she realizes the ubermensch is even larger than her imagination she is further intrigued? Finally, is it surprising that the ubermensch who is as male as anyone she has ever been intimate with is actually a woman with a woman's memory and instinct will draw her sense of attraction like a black hole?

Seriously here, this pair was made for each other.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:50 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi PeterZ,

Long time, good to see your post. :D

Many kudos for such a great analysis!

But with a couple of quibbles, of course. ;)

Nynian's mother died when she was 2, IIRC, so she didn't reject her.

Her foster parents [ie Adorai's], may have sent her to the convent, but it wasn't because they stopped loving her, but on orders from her father.

Secondly, you may want to add the word 'wonder' after any in the top line of your last large paragraph, which I believe you accidentally omitted; it certainly seems to read better that way.

I just want your posts to be as good as possible, if not perfect.

Although I realize I'm setting myself up to be corrected on every little typo or omission etc I let get by me, but if it improves me and my posts are better understood, I really can't complain. [much] ;)

All the best wishes of the season,

L

PeterZ wrote:Let's review Merlin and Nynian's relationship.

Merlin-
A young woman who adopted the role of being a man to the point of identifying as a man. Someone who has spent her entire life fighting a war that she knew would end in her death. She was given a reprieve under Commodore Pei and chose to sacrifice her life. Even though Merlin did not remember making that choice, it was a choice his personality matrix could easily have made. Since waking on Safehold, Merlin has spent his time fighting a clandestine war for the lives of people most of whom who would hate him if they new what he truly was. She grew up avoiding intimacy and he lived on Safehold guarding the secret of his identity, the secret of what he is. those that knew his secret were friends but almost all were unsuitable for intimacy. Finding someone that was suitable and would be honestly attracted to that truth would appear to him as impossible.

Nynian-
A woman who was rejected by her parents but embraced by a sisterhood of clandestine radicals sworn to honor a larger than life male ubermensch. She spent her life in the organization playing the role of a courtesan.....well being a courtesan. That is playing a role that involved real and feigned intimacy that always hid away big pieces of herself. The only people she truly trusted and could be as open as she could have been was with the women of her sisterhood. She states that she was a sensuous person and that attribute was directed at men. Yet, she could be open only to women.

Is it any that when she finds out that there truly still are larger than life ubermensch, she will be attracted to him? Any wonder that when she realizes the ubermensch is even larger than her imagination she is further intrigued? Finally, is it surprising that the ubermensch who is as male as anyone she has ever been intimate with is actually a woman with a woman's memory and instinct will draw her sense of attraction like a black hole?

Seriously here, this pair was made for each other.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:16 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi PeterZ,

Long time, good to see your post. :D

Many kudos for such a great analysis!

But with a couple of quibbles, of course. ;)

Nynian's mother died when she was 2, IIRC, so she didn't reject her.

Her foster parents [ie Adorai's], may have sent her to the convent, but it wasn't because they stopped loving her, but on orders from her father.

Secondly, you may want to add the word 'wonder' after any in the top line of your last large paragraph, which I believe you accidentally omitted; it certainly seems to read better that way.

I just want your posts to be as good as possible, if not perfect.

Although I realize I'm setting myself up to be corrected on every little typo or omission etc I let get by me, but if it improves me and my posts are better understood, I really can't complain. [much] ;)

All the best wishes of the season,

L

Thanks for the response. I missed your insights. They are always well thought through and provide a good counter point to my often stretched analysis.

As for Nynian, she was rejected by her father. My point was that there were many factors in her life that made being truly intimate with men difficult. Well, certainly a state that she had little practice engaging in. Physical intimacy, sure. True emotional intimacy? Not likely.

As for my post, writing on an iPad mini can be a pain. Editing posts are worse. Feel free to comment on my grammar. Can't guarantee I can make the changes.
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:53 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote: SNIP

If I am correct, this tells me that the Order of Schuler knows at least enough to review some of the files... It is likely some sort of ritual like recharging the power supply on the stone of Schuyler or maybe changing the wallpaper in their offices using the God eye.
I do not think that he normally saw two inch tall images but he did recognize who he was seeing ((yes from the statues)but also from "images like" the ones that Merlin showed him.

Speaking of the Stone of Schuler - was there anything ever resolved about Paityr's feeling way back that someone else knew about it?

Clearly not Rayno or Clyntahn - which was my old belief until a short while ago.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:09 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

IIRC it was the Key that Paityr thought somebody knew about.

But to answer your question, it's still up in the air. ;)

isaac_newton wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote: SNIP

If I am correct, this tells me that the Order of Schuler knows at least enough to review some of the files... It is likely some sort of ritual like recharging the power supply on the stone of Schuyler or maybe changing the wallpaper in their offices using the God eye.
I do not think that he normally saw two inch tall images but he did recognize who he was seeing ((yes from the statues)but also from "images like" the ones that Merlin showed him.

Speaking of the Stone of Schuler - was there anything ever resolved about Paityr's feeling way back that someone else knew about it?

Clearly not Rayno or Clyntahn - which was my old belief until a short while ago.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to Safehold