Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

So, part 1 done, when do we get our first glimpse of part 2?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
So, part 1 done, when do we get our first glimpse of part 2?
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:51 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Now that his mighty wizardness has finished the first part of the war against the Gbaba, when will book 1 of "Twenty years after - the BIG reveal" be available?
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Re: So, part 1 done, when do we get our first glimpse of par
Post by Henry Brown   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:08 am

Henry Brown
Commodore

******Spoiler warning for AtSoT*******

I don't think we will get a 20 year jump. At least not all at once. However, I think the next book will cover a much wider timeframe than recent books. If I had to guess, I'd say the next book might have a series of smaller time skips. It might depict a critical event/incident in post-war Safehold. Then once that is resolved it might skip a few months or even a few years to the next critical event.

A good example is the way AtSoT ended. Clyntahn is captured and fighting ends in August 898. Then we skip to February 899 for the final chapter, a jump of roughly 6 months. Clyntahn has been tried for his crimes and is about to be executed. We also get a quick rundown of what the major characters have been doing and what is going on in the major nations. To me this seems like he is setting up to start the next book sometime around this timeframe. But I also think this is the kind of technique he might use in the next book (possibly several times) in order to cover a span of years in the next novel rather than a span of months.
Post by CdnGunner   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:58 am

CdnGunner
Ensign

Now that his mighty wizardness has finished the first part of the war against the Gbaba, when will book 1 of "Twenty years after - the BIG reveal" be available?

Aren't WE greedy! :lol:

(The answer is, including myself, a resounding "YES!")
---------------
As it is possible for employees to become disgruntled, I believe it is critical to find ways to keep them gruntled.
Post by dobriennm   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:54 am

dobriennm
Commander

Henry Brown wrote:I don't think we will get a 20 year jump. At least not all at once. However, I think the next book will cover a much wider timeframe than recent books. If I had to guess, I'd say the next book might have a series of smaller time skips. It might depict a critical event/incident in post-war Safehold. Then once that is resolved it might skip a few months or even a few years to the next critical event.

Based on what the Author has said last Fall, it WILL be a 20 year jump.

However, I'm sure the author will somehow cover important events and societal/political developments over that 20 years. Perhaps by having a retrospective mental musing by one of the Nimue PICAs, a conversation between the Nimue PICAs in Nimue's Cave, or a strategy session of the Inner circle discussing past events and developments with an accompanying "Where do we go from here?" conversation. Or some other gambit.

After all, it's a lot harder to write a series of small internally consistent short stories to fully explain 20 years of technical and societal development than to simply do an "info dump".

After all, what the author is really trying to do is "set the scene" for the start of Part 2. Does the author really need to make it overly complicated? Plus, from the readers standpoint, don't we want to get into the action as fast as possible? Also, as the author has mentioned before, the books have already become "door stoppers". How much bigger do we really want them to be?

The (absolutely going to be a) 20 year jump is based on David Weber's 2015 National Book Festival talk at

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... lVV1og9BMt

It talks a lot about the Honor Harrington series, but also mentions the Safehold series, in particular, how there is one more book after HFQ to complete the present story arc. It also mentions that after the 20 year "gap" to the next Safehold story arc, everyone will have steam powered economies with the implication that the fight will be harder/bloodier[MY interpretation].
Post by n7axw   » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:55 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

dobriennm wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:I don't think we will get a 20 year jump. At least not all at once. However, I think the next book will cover a much wider timeframe than recent books. If I had to guess, I'd say the next book might have a series of smaller time skips. It might depict a critical event/incident in post-war Safehold. Then once that is resolved it might skip a few months or even a few years to the next critical event.

However, I'm sure the author will somehow cover important events and societal/political developments over that 20 years. Perhaps by having a retrospective mental musing by one of the Nimue PICAs, a conversation between the Nimue PICAs in Nimue's Cave, or a strategy session of the Inner circle discussing past events and developments with an accompanying "Where do we go from here?" conversation. Or some other gambit.

After all, it's a lot harder to write a series of small internally consistent short stories to fully explain 20 years of technical and societal development than to simply do an "info dump".

After all, what the author is really trying to do is "set the scene" for the start of Part 2. Does the author really need to make it overly complicated? Plus, from the readers standpoint, don't we want to get into the action as fast as possible? Also, as the author has mentioned before, the books have already become "door stoppers". How much bigger do we really want them to be?

The (absolutely going to be a) 20 year jump is based on David Weber's 2015 National Book Festival talk at

It talks a lot about the Honor Harrington series, but also mentions the Safehold series, in particular, how there is one more book after HFQ to complete the present story arc. It also mentions that after the 20 year "gap" to the next Safehold story arc, everyone will have steam powered economies with the implication that the fight will be harder/bloodier[MY interpretation].

I would imagine that we will see the next book in a 12 to 15 month time frame. That has been the pace, generally speaking, fot the series with the exception of a longer gap between MTAT and LAMA. I hope our author remains healthy enough to finish the series.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:52 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:

I would imagine that we will see the next book in a 12 to 15 month time frame. That has been the pace, generally speaking, fot the series with the exception of a longer gap between MTAT and LAMA. I hope our author remains healthy enough to finish the series.

Don

-

Lots depends on his health and whether he feels he needs to be slowing down a bit. But on previous form I imagine, and hope, that you might be right. There could well be a bit of a hiccup now though. He may well want to do Sword of the South #2 to get the series rolling, since the main Honorverse sequence only has one book left, and even get even Multiverse #4 out. (If #3 sold well enough). That would then let him roll out one SoS, one Safehold and one Manticore Ascendent/Other for the next few years which would help protect his income as the kids get set to go off to college in few years. (Sorry to be so basic, but RFC looks like he kind of enjoys eating regularly. :D )
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:57 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Don,

For myself, I could see a book much like Shadow of Victory, with lots of background to set the stage for what the 20 years up means with only a brief 'current' story line; including little things like the return of the Archangels in a few years, the invention of machine guns, NTM massive industrialization across the Charisian empire, where the MHoGatA goes, when does father Paityr visits the temple, what effect the revelations in the published inquisition and other church records has, Charis enforcing it's anti-slavery policy, a de facto independent South Harchong, etc, etc.

Anything anyone want to fill in that I missed?

Feel free. ;)

L

n7axw wrote:
dobriennm wrote:*quote="Henry Brown"*
I don't think we will get a 20 year jump. At least not all at once. However, I think the next book will cover a much wider timeframe than recent books. If I had to guess, I'd say the next book might have a series of smaller time skips. It might depict a critical event/incident in post-war Safehold. Then once that is resolved it might skip a few months or even a few years to the next critical event.
*quote*

Don

-
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Peter2   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:27 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

***AtSoT Spoilerish***

That was quite some read – thank you RFC! :)

But there are still some unanswered questions. I would still like to know more about "the thing in the Temple basement". Paityr Wylsynn must have gained access to it by now.

Also, whence came the stuff that finally broke Clyntahn's spirit? I'm assuming it's from Nimue's Cave somewhere, but if Merlin, Owl, or Nahrman had already seen it, then it would have been somewhat relevant to some of the answers that the Sisters of Kohdy were looking for.

More grist for the mill of the next book, maybe! ;)
Post by evilauthor   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:25 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Peter2 wrote:***AtSoT Spoilerish***

Also, whence came the stuff that finally broke Clyntahn's spirit? I'm assuming it's from Nimue's Cave somewhere, but if Merlin, Owl, or Nahrman had already seen it, then it would have been somewhat relevant to some of the answers that the Sisters of Kohdy were looking for.

Presumably left behind by Kau-Yung on his last visit so that Nimue would know what happened. He was on Langhorne's council after all so probably had copy access to all records of them.
Post by israelsmith   » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:36 am

israelsmith
Midshipman

I know exactly what I'm expecting with the next novel.

I'm expecting that we will jump straight to 20 years in the future with the major players conversing about the "last 20 years", possibly some we will have lost due to accident or natural causes depending on who was treated with nanites over the years and who wasn't.

I'm expecting some light-hearted adventure possibly to open things up, some more sappy love stuff that a lot of us eat up from our old favorite couples, and major advancements under the mountain (and abroad of course). However, I'm talking about resources to be able to actually attack/diable/takeover the orbital platform, hack the temple remotely, preparations against the possible "return", and to help bootstrap the rest of humanity.

I think that Owl and a couple others will have actually begun working on theoretical advances that were being discussed (even if its only incremental from last-gen earth tech) near the end of the final days. After all that's the real mission, the true end goal and endgame.

I expect that some sort of ambassadorial or even united nations or united churches sort of organization will have developed fomenting a greater peace religiously and secularly.

I expect the new religions to have solidified and see the new Northern Harchong church and possibly even one or two others that weren't alluded to.

I expect possibly one brief altercation to have occurred between non-Charisian nation-states from the after effects of the Jihad, even if its only something between North and South Harchong, possibly even some sort of Korean DMZ zone being setup.

Of course I also expect the "return" becoming the major contention. However, I see a slow return, something where a lot of activity starts to happen possibly not even entirely from underneath the temple, maybe from multiple locations. I would think that in this scenario, that the big reveal would actually be at the end of the book. So we don't know what we're up against until the end.

I don't forsee PICAs coming on-line, but not exactly "Archangels" either. I could see the characters finding out to their dread that their network had been hacked or at least errant wireless data having been captured and then decrypted from even before the initial attack or launch. I could even see a direct assault on Nimue's cave occurring near the end and them having to destroy it kind of like a rough Empire Strikes Back ending.

In that scenario I would then think the next book after that would show that because we had other working on the "more advanced" or experimental federation tech that a secondary site had been set up.

Then again I'm probably totally wrong and we'll simply have an Archangel appear from underneath the temple and revitalize the Church after discovering to their horror the changes wrought during their stasis/hibernation starting a new Jihad or War of the Fallen 2. Maybe our heroes will have been smart enough in that scenario to have disabled all the satellites no longer necessary and kept the Mountains signature low and wireless connection turned off to stay under the radar of a possible return.

The possibilities are endless, can't wait either way! Oh how I wish we already had snippets!

Return to Safehold