Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

Rereads and Questions

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Rereads and Questions
Post by ChronicRder   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:10 pm

ChronicRder
Lieutenant Commander

Happy belated All Hollow's Eve (Halloween for you plebs)!

I am rereading OAR and have a couple questions. The first and second regard the calendar. The year proceeds February, April, March. Was this a typo that has gone so long without correcting that there's no sense in fixing it at this? Lob it under artistic liscense or something... Certainly, given that he shortened the week to 5-days and moved Sunday to Wednesday's slot and chopped off 2 months in the process, I can get over this readily enough.
Second, is there a list of Safeholdean holidays? If so, is there a "Halloween" holy day and what does it entail?

Archbishop Dynnys. Per the book, he's the Archbishop/Bishop Governor of Charis. Fine. 9/10 clergy members, bishops or otherwise are Charisian by birth which is an anomaly for the COGA. Do we know if the good Archbishop is Charisian himself or did he marry into the kingdom? We all know his wife fled to Charis and Maikel hooked her up, so I have to think she was at least Charisian to start with...

Last, Armaggedon Reef itself. Per the book, Rakurai Bay, the location of the obliterated Alexandria Enclave, is in the center of the continent. All the maps I've seen have it up north by the Footsteps and Sea of Justice. Did I misread that?
Re: Rereads and Questions
Post by Keith_w   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:29 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

ChronicRder wrote:Happy belated All Hollow's Eve (Halloween for you plebs)!

I am rereading OAR and have a couple questions. The first and second regard the calendar. The year proceeds February, April, March. Was this a typo that has gone so long without correcting that there's no sense in fixing it at this? Lob it under artistic liscense or something... Certainly, given that he shortened the week to 5-days and moved Sunday to Wednesday's slot and chopped off 2 months in the process, I can get over this readily enough.
Second, is there a list of Safeholdean holidays? If so, is there a "Halloween" holy day and what does it entail?

Archbishop Dynnys. Per the book, he's the Archbishop/Bishop Governor of Charis. Fine. 9/10 clergy members, bishops or otherwise are Charisian by birth which is an anomaly for the COGA. Do we know if the good Archbishop is Charisian himself or did he marry into the kingdom? We all know his wife fled to Charis and Maikel hooked her up, so I have to think she was at least Charisian to start with...

Last, Armaggedon Reef itself. Per the book, Rakurai Bay, the location of the obliterated Alexandria Enclave, is in the center of the continent. All the maps I've seen have it up north by the Footsteps and Sea of Justice. Did I misread that?

She's not in the least Charisian. She's a member of an old COGA family, and cousin of Ninian, who's father was eventually Grand Vicar (although I am pretty sure he's not Saint Ever<whoever> who either defenestated himself or was defenestrated)
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:50 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

I am rereading OAR and have a couple questions. The first and second regard the calendar. The year proceeds February, April, March. Was this a typo that has gone so long without correcting that there's no sense in fixing it at this?
<snip>

Is that view of the calendar in the chapter headings or the calendar description in the appendices? Whichever, it is a typo as April follows March in HFQ and, I think, generally.

Where else could Madam Dynnys have hoped to be safe except in Charis?
Post by ChronicRder   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:05 am

ChronicRder
Lieutenant Commander

Keith_w wrote:

She's not in the least Charisian. She's a member of an old COGA family, and cousin of Ninian, who's father was eventually Grand Vicar (although I am pretty sure he's not Saint Ever<whoever> who either defenestated himself or was defenestrated)

My bad. Must have missed that little tidbit.
What about the other questions I posed?
Post by saber964   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:19 am

saber964
Admiral

Keith_w wrote:

IIRC Saint Evahard the Reformer was an ancestor of the Wylsahns. IIRC a couple of times great grandfather.
Post by ChronicRder   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:22 am

ChronicRder
Lieutenant Commander

Randomiser wrote:

I am rereading OAR and have a couple questions. The first and second regard the calendar. The year proceeds February, April, March. Was this a typo that has gone so long without correcting that there's no sense in fixing it at this?
<snip>

Is that view of the calendar in the chapter headings or the calendar description in the appendices? Whichever, it is a typo as April follows March in HFQ and, I think, generally.

Where else could Madam Dynnys have hoped to be safe except in Charis?

An interesting question. The answer is a little of both. For example, in OAR, it proceeds February to April to March in both the book itself and the "Note on Time" at then end.
In BSRA, the same flaw is in the "Note on Safeholdian Timekeeping/Note on Time," but I don't think that part of the year isn't visited in the book. I just did a quick thumb thru to check.
In BHD, the flaw is in the "Note on Safeholdian Timekeeping/Note on Time," but not during the actual storytelling. Same thing in AMF.
HFAF doesn't have a "Note on Safeholdian Timekeeping" in it, but the story proceeds February-March-April.
I don't have the other books on hand to thumb through them at present. Please note that I only read this series in hardcopy; not the electronic version.

As to where else Madame Dynnys could go, esp being from the Temple Lands herself, I'd propose Siddarmark. They even had a Charisian Quarter as an enclave for those who wanted to remain Charisian by right, but be a degree or two removed from the problems with the COGA/TL. For someone who wanted the protection of Charis, but not actually go there for reasons of her origin and prejudices/predispositions, the Republic should have been her first choice, no?
Last edited by ChronicRder on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:23 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

I seem to recall that while Dynnys is on "death row" he reflects that none of his brothers had come to visit him and that they were from Temple lands.

It might be a typo on the months but it might also be a bit of back-filling due to the amount of time that it takes to communicate... If for example, the time line related to Harold and Calybe talking about the bribes that were paid for a decision in Hanth and Dynnys talking to the law-masters about it. I would have to re-read with that in mind and I have progressed to HFQ

Some of the geographical issues are confusing to me also... I wish the budget permitted maps in the context of the story rather than only in the front cover. I'd like to see arrows showing which way an army or navy is moving also...
In HFQ Trisk is talking about the ICN operating further West and I think it should be further East as a threat with Claw Island as the starting point.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:30 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Point of interest..? The church seemed to make more effort to stir the soup by moving bishops in from other areas on the mainland than on the out islands with the exception of Rayno based on the textev I found.

This point about the out islands came up in discussions about the number of reform minded clergy... it seems that people from the out islands who were motivated to climb the ladder moved to the main land.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by ayg   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:09 pm

ayg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

ChronicRder wrote:
As to where else Madame Dynnys could go, esp being from the Temple Lands herself, I'd propose Siddarmark. They even had a Charisian Quarter as an enclave for those who wanted to remain Charisian by right, but be a degree or two removed from the problems with the COGA/TL. For someone who wanted the protection of Charis, but not actually go there for reasons of her origin and prejudices/predispositions, the Republic should have been her first choice, no?

If she had only wanted to hide, yes, Siddarmark would have worked as a destination. But she wanted to tell her story in public and make sure people heard it. At that time I don't think the Lord Protector would have let her do it.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:22 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

<snip>
<snip>

The have God Day (I think it was called) it is described as a combination of Christmas and Easter.

Hector had something that his stepsister hand made as a gift for him.
Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Safehold