Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Clyntahn the Truth Giver

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Clyntahn the Truth Giver
Post by OJsDad   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:36 pm

OJsDad
Lieutenant Commander

While at church today, I had a thought, about the snippet that DW released with Clyntahn. What if the plan is to show him the truth and then to use him, or more specifically his position as Grand Inquisitor, to reveal the truth to all of Safehold. If successful, then this may prevent the even larger religious war that Merlin fears will occur when the truth is revealed to all.

Just a thought. Could explain why Clyntahn would be more valuable alive than dead.
Re: Clyntahn the Truth Giver
Post by dobriennm   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:44 pm

dobriennm
Commander

OJsDad wrote:While at church today, I had a thought, about the snippet that DW released with Clyntahn. What if the plan is to show him the truth and then to use him, or more specifically his position as Grand Inquisitor, to reveal the truth to all of Safehold. If successful, then this may prevent the even larger religious war that Merlin fears will occur when the truth is revealed to all.

Just a thought. Could explain why Clyntahn would be more valuable alive than dead.

Possible, but given the big reveal is slated for 20 years from now (from various hints by the author), I'm not sure Clyntahn would still be around. Too many people want him dead plus it doesn't sound like his lifestyle would keep him alive that long either.
Post by evilauthor   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:57 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

dobriennm wrote:Possible, but given the big reveal is slated for 20 years from now (from various hints by the author), I'm not sure Clyntahn would still be around. Too many people want him dead plus it doesn't sound like his lifestyle would keep him alive that long either.

Plus by the end of the Jihad, Clyntahn's credibility is pretty much shot as far as the majority of Safehold goes. No one is going to believe anything he says, and even his most rabid followers will turn on him if he starts spouting anything like the actual Truth since it would completely contradict his previous stance on what's Orthodoxy.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:36 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

OJsDad wrote:While at church today, I had a thought, about the snippet that DW released with Clyntahn. What if the plan is to show him the truth and then to use him, or more specifically his position as Grand Inquisitor, to reveal the truth to all of Safehold. If successful, then this may prevent the even larger religious war that Merlin fears will occur when the truth is revealed to all.

Interesting but text evidence is fairly clear that the church in Zion is too corrupt to be reformed and that the risk of falling into the hands of someone else for a repeat of this same rotted power "kiss my ring" and "Put them to the Question" in the future is too great.

Must have been a boring sermon if this is what you were thinking in church ;) :o :oops:
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by OJsDad   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:16 am

OJsDad
Lieutenant Commander

C. O. Thompson wrote:Must have been a boring sermon if this is what you were thinking in church ;) :o :oops:

Never claimed it was during the sermon.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:30 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

OJsDad wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:Must have been a boring sermon if this is what you were thinking in church ;) :o :oops:

That's right... you never said it was during the sermon...
I guess it was too long since I have been in church but it seemed that the sermon was the only time my mind might wander... Seven more days till we can read ATSoT to find out what David has in mind to provide enjoyment and consternation. ;)
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Keith_w   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:32 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

C. O. Thompson wrote:
OJsDad wrote: quote="C. O. Thompson"
Must have been a boring sermon if this is what you were thinking in church ;) :o :oops: /quote

<Snip> Seven more days till we can read ATSoT to find out what David has in mind to provide enjoyment and consternation. ;)

and 8 to 10 till you are drooling with desire for the next one! (less for some, more for others)

<edited to clean up the quote I messed up>
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:09 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

OJsDad wrote:

After further reflection, let me apologize... it does seem possible that something a devout believer would hear in a serious sermon could bring Clynthan to mind... things like "whatever you have done to the least of these you have done to me" or "do not store up treasure on earth" or have a dozen others I could site from Christian doctrine...
I would not presume to site from other Scriptures but, I have read enough of them to know that Clynthan's behavior would stand condemned by them.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

By the way... can anyone give textev for where Clynthan came from?? :?:
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by OJsDad   » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:52 pm

OJsDad
Lieutenant Commander

NO problem CO. I was just yanking your chain. It was during offering that I was thinking about it. Of course, I was having trouble with the sermon too, as our opening hymn was A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.

My thought had more to do with hidden church records and Clyntahn attesting to them being authentic.

I doubt if it will happen that way.

Return to Safehold