Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

Archangles Chihiro & Schueler & Seijin Kohdy

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Archangles Chihiro & Schueler & Seijin Kohdy
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:56 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

My re-reading brought me up to HFQ today and, when I read the information that (page 28) Schyeler and Chihro "departed in victory" and that the servitors who fought for them had withdrawn to the Dawn Star.
I have been unable to find the name of the last ship that was the point of contention before AR was bombed but it began with an H and so the gears of my mind began to wonder what the heck this Dawn Star is.

This seems to be another clue hidden in plain sight and, while it could relate to the room under the temple, I am more inclined to think that is the orbital platform.

I did have a weird thought about what might happen if the "archangels" were in cryo-sleep under the temple and wake up, discover the key is missing so they go up stairs looking for someone who has it...

This would bring them face to face with the Grand Inquisitor who would no doubt have them arrested and put to the Question because obviously they are heretic blasphemers ... hmmmm :twisted: :twisted:
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Re: Archangles Chihiro & Schueler & Seijin Kohdy
Post by phillies   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:05 pm

phillies
Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:My re-reading brought me up to HFQ today and, when I read the information that (page 28) Schyeler and Chihro "departed in victory" and that the servitors who fought for them had withdrawn to the Dawn Star.
I have been unable to find the name of the last ship that was the point of contention before AR was bombed but it began with an H and so the gears of my mind began to wonder what the heck this Dawn Star is.

This seems to be another clue hidden in plain sight and, while it could relate to the room under the temple, I am more inclined to think that is the orbital platform.

I did have a weird thought about what might happen if the "archangels" were in cryo-sleep under the temple and wake up, discover the key is missing so they go up stairs looking for someone who has it...

This would bring them face to face with the Grand Inquisitor who would no doubt have them arrested and put to the Question because obviously they are heretic blasphemers ... hmmmm :twisted: :twisted:

The "Dawn Star" appears to be the large spaceship that was still in operation at the end of the war. It might be visible to the ground if it did not have optical camouflage. Alternatively, there is another planet in the solar system, in toward the sun, and we are seeing ancient astronomy which viewed Hesperus and Phosphorous as distinct planets.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:00 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Given what we know from textev, cryo sleep is contraindicated.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:44 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Nahrmahn identifies the Dawn Star with the Hamilcar, HFQ P111 Kindle Ed, but doesn't specify why. No doubt, the Dawn Star was, for public consumption, imbued with all sorts of spiritual and mystical significance as a facility provided by God for the angels There is an HMS Dawn Star in the ICN, which takes Sharleyan to Zebediah and Corisande in HFAF, suggesting that the angels' 'Dawn Star' is part of the commonly known history of Safehold.

The thing about all of Khody's journal is that one has to view with a certain degree of suspicion anything the Archangels told the Seijins or the population of Safehold, especially during the War of the Fallen; they were engaged in a war to defend a huge con scheme, after all, and determined to disgrace their opponents.

'Departing in victory' (cf Schueler and Chihiro) sounds to me like the sort of way the command crew would describe the death of an archangel to the masses, rather than suggesting they went into retirement somewhere. 'Withdrawn to the Dawn Star' is also a good line on the reduction in the number of servitors, whatever actually happened to them, as it implies, 'But we can get them back again, right smart, if we need to.'
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:04 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote:Nahrmahn identifies the Dawn Star with the Hamilcar, HFQ P111 Kindle Ed, but doesn't specify why. No doubt, the Dawn Star was, for public consumption, imbued with all sorts of spiritual and mystical significance as a facility provided by God for the angels There is an HMS Dawn Star in the ICN, which takes Sharleyan to Zebediah and Corisande in HFAF, suggesting that the angels' 'Dawn Star' is part of the commonly known history of Safehold.

The thing about all of Khody's journal is that one has to view with a certain degree of suspicion anything the Archangels told the Seijins or the population of Safehold, especially during the War of the Fallen; they were engaged in a war to defend a huge con scheme, after all, and determined to disgrace their opponents.

'Departing in victory' (cf Schueler and Chihiro) sounds to me like the sort of way the command crew would describe the death of an archangel to the masses, rather than suggesting they went into retirement somewhere. 'Withdrawn to the Dawn Star' is also a good line on the reduction in the number of servitors, whatever actually happened to them, as it implies, 'But we can get them back again, right smart, if we need to.'

Randomiser... Thanks, I found the textev on page 111 when the inner circle are discussing the journal.

I did not think that the remaining arch-angles had retired in the normal sense of the word and even though Merlin was dubious about success of cryo-sleep for that length of time, there is nothing I can find so far which said that they did not try that. Conversely, they could have downloaded their memories prior, whether they had a PICA or not because they had NEAT's... Anyway, I am just tossing ideas out to see what others think. ;)
Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Safehold