Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

A little help please - Hell's Foundations Quiver Chapter 2

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
A little help please - Hell's Foundations Quiver Chapter 2
Post by aurabass   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:10 pm

aurabass
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

As an Audible user I have a problem with a reference in a foreign language. In Chapter 2 Merlyn is reviewing his conversation with Angelic while involved in the Com conversation about his meeting with her. He returns to the conversation
Angelic is describing the recruits to her order and talks about the fact that they are rebellious and sent to the order due to that "firey" trait. Then she uses a foreign phrase to describe that aspect of their nature. I think the phrase is French but it's hard to make out in the audible version.
Can someone with a written copy fill me in on that phrase?

It comes after she describes the destruction of the abbey and tells Merlyn how the surviving sisters have carried on "divesting a third of the endowment" prior to the abbey's destruction in order to keep the secret tomb. She describes the new recruits and the "fire" in their nature and the "SOUNDS LIKE enchen rit zu may" "En chin rit zu may" is the wording I seek. If anyone can find it near the end of chapter 2 I would appreciate the wording. thanks
Re: A little help please - Hell's Foundations Quiver Chapter
Post by ksandgren   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:26 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Anshinritsumei—“ the little fire” from the Holy Writ; the lesser touch of God’s spirit and the maximum enlightenment of which mortals are capable.

Weber, David. Hell's Foundations Quiver (Safehold) (p. 763). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

It is a Safehold writ word that MWW used here. It is not French or German. You didn't miss hear it, you just didn't recognize another twisted Safehold word.
Post by aurabass   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:12 pm

aurabass
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

ksandgren wrote:Anshinritsumei—“ the little fire” from the Holy Writ; the lesser touch of God’s spirit and the maximum enlightenment of which mortals are capable.

Weber, David. Hell's Foundations Quiver (Safehold) (p. 763). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

It is a Safehold writ word that MWW used here. It is not French or German. You didn't miss hear it, you just didn't recognize another twisted Safehold word.

thanks much
Post by Louis R   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:02 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

not twisted, Japanese. at least, it's Japanese in form, and IIRC a speaker has said it's a possible word with a meaning that would make the usage given reasonable.

ksandgren wrote:Anshinritsumei—“ the little fire” from the Holy Writ; the lesser touch of God’s spirit and the maximum enlightenment of which mortals are capable.

Post by evilauthor   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:39 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Louis R wrote:not twisted, Japanese. at least, it's Japanese in form, and IIRC a speaker has said it's a possible word with a meaning that would make the usage given reasonable.

Given the word's sheer length and number of syllables, I can't help but wonder if the word is actually east Indian in origin, possibly via Hinduism or Buddhism. Quite a few Hindu and Buddhist concepts have names that are similarly mouthfuls to pronounce.
Post by dobriennm   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:38 pm

dobriennm
Commander

evilauthor wrote:
Louis R wrote:not twisted, Japanese. at least, it's Japanese in form, and IIRC a speaker has said it's a possible word with a meaning that would make the usage given reasonable.

Given the word's sheer length and number of syllables, I can't help but wonder if the word is actually east Indian in origin, possibly via Hinduism or Buddhism. Quite a few Hindu and Buddhist concepts have names that are similarly mouthfuls to pronounce.

Well, mouthfuls to pronounce when an English speaker translates a foreign pronunciation into some English approximation using available English syllables and letters.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:55 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Meaning, of course, that English speaker still hasn't the foggiest idea as to how the word is really pronounced... :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by John Prigent   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:04 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

And don't really care because foreigners speak 'scribble' anyway so should learn English.

I once met a man who had spent 20 years in Swahili-speaking Africa without bothering to learn a word of the language.

Cheers, John

n7axw wrote:Meaning, of course, that English speaker still hasn't the foggiest idea as to how the word is really pronounced... :lol:

Don

-
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:29 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

aurabass wrote:As an Audible user I have a problem with a reference in a foreign language. In Chapter 2 Merlyn is reviewing his conversation with Angelic while involved in the Com conversation about his meeting with her. He returns to the conversation
Angelic is describing the recruits to her order and talks about the fact that they are rebellious and sent to the order due to that "firey" trait. Then she uses a foreign phrase to describe that aspect of their nature. I think the phrase is French but it's hard to make out in the audible version.
Can someone with a written copy fill me in on that phrase?

It comes after she describes the destruction of the abbey and tells Merlyn how the surviving sisters have carried on "divesting a third of the endowment" prior to the abbey's destruction in order to keep the secret tomb. She describes the new recruits and the "fire" in their nature and the "SOUNDS LIKE enchen rit zu may" "En chin rit zu may" is the wording I seek. If anyone can find it near the end of chapter 2 I would appreciate the wording. thanks

I am glad you raised that question... normally when I encounter a word that I neither can pronounce nor know what it means, I can tap the word on kindle screen and... presto (Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat) but no luck with that one...

From December 2007 to now, I still don't know how to pronounce Seijin (or half a dozen other words) and I haven't gotten an audible version.
Too stubborn (or Scott's) I guess <but I think I just repeated myself> ;-)
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Cartographer   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:50 pm

Cartographer
Midshipman

It's Japanese and means spiritual peace or enlightenment. There's loads of Japanese sprinkled throughout the books, I think since Chihiro is a Japanese name he was probably Japanese himself, he inserted quite a few native words into the canon via his book which have filtered into everyday use.
(at last learning that language has been useful!)
Last edited by Cartographer on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Safehold