Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests

A little help please - Hell's Foundations Quiver Chapter 2

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: A little help please - Hell's Foundations Quiver Chapter
Post by Cartographer   » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:44 pm

Cartographer
Midshipman

C. O. Thompson wrote:I am glad you raised that question... normally when I encounter a word that I neither can pronounce nor know what it means, I can tap the word on kindle screen and... presto (Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat) but no luck with that one...

From December 2007 to now, I still don't know how to pronounce Seijin (or half a dozen other words) and I haven't gotten an audible version.
Too stubborn (or Scott's) I guess <but I think I just repeated myself> ;-)

It's pronounced "say" as in to speak and "jin" as in the alcoholic drink (gin and tonic).
"Say-jin"
It means, oddly enough, "saint" (literally, holy-man).
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:35 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Cartographer wrote:It's Japanese and means spiritual peace or enlightenment. There's loads of Japanese sprinkled throughout the books, I think since Chihiro is a Japanese name he was probably Japanese himself, he inserted quite a few native words into the canon via his book which have filtered into everyday use.
(at last learning that language has been useful!)

I found out what it means but never have been comfortable with pronunciation... I've been going with sa-gin
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Keith_w   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Cartographer wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:I am glad you raised that question... normally when I encounter a word that I neither can pronounce nor know what it means, I can tap the word on kindle screen and... presto (Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat) but no luck with that one...

From December 2007 to now, I still don't know how to pronounce Seijin (or half a dozen other words) and I haven't gotten an audible version.
Too stubborn (or Scott's) I guess <but I think I just repeated myself> ;-)

It's pronounced "say" as in to speak and "jin" as in the alcoholic drink (gin and tonic).
"Say-jin"
It means, oddly enough, "saint" (literally, holy-man).

That's how I have been pronouncing it in my head.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Safehold