Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Amazon just sent a message, my copy from ATST is en route

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Amazon just sent a message, my copy from ATST is en route
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:48 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Tomorrow is the day I can start reading ... finally!
Re: Amazon just sent a message, my copy from ATST is en rout
Post by Henry Brown   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Amazon is shipping early? Has anybody heard about stores putting it on sale early?
Post by DirkF   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:58 pm

DirkF
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

appearantly they shipped a batch to Amazon Europa with a good time buffer to guarantee its availablility on the official data - and the people in Europe didn't care about official dates.

Amazon DE shipped my copy two days ago, it arrived yesterday and I finished it about an hour ag...
Post by Peter2   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:16 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

*sigh* Feeling the lack, I re-read all the snippets a couple of days ago . . .
Post by Charybdis   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:25 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Peter2 wrote:*sigh* Feeling the lack, I re-read all the snippets a couple of days ago . . .

Yes, I'm sorry that we can't get these early copies here in the USofA BUT we do have OUR advantages when buying domestically, at least from AMAZON. I do like having the look and feel of reading the actual book, but to have the ability to buy a largely discounted Kindle version for the (oh so very occasional) searches is something that the others apparently do not have. :idea:
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Peter2   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:03 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Charybdis wrote:
Peter2 wrote:*sigh* Feeling the lack, I re-read all the snippets a couple of days ago . . .

Yes, I'm sorry that we can't get these early copies here in the USofA BUT we do have OUR advantages when buying domestically, at least from AMAZON. I do like having the look and feel of reading the actual book, but to have the ability to buy a largely discounted Kindle version for the (oh so very occasional) searches is something that the others apparently do not have. :idea:

We downsized a couple of years ago, and I'm still working on reducing my stack of hard copy. The problem is that I have a mass of old SF dating back to the 1960's and beyond that simply doesn't exist in electronic format, and I can't bear to part with them. For instance, I have a copy of George O Smith's Nomad which, so far as I can see, never even appeared as a paperback, never mind as an ebook. No way am I going to get rid of that! And I re-read A E van Vogt's Slan and The House that Stood Still a couple of weeks ago – the former is available as an ebook, but the latter isn't.
Post by John Prigent   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:57 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Alas, Amazon UK is sticking to 8 November for the ebook and won't send out thehardcover until 13 November. Though Book Depository says the hardcover will be available on 1 November - and it's owned by Amazon! Oh, decisions, decisions. I'm another with no empty shelf space, so I'll wait for the ebook.

Cheers, John

quote="Charybdis"]

Yes, I'm sorry that we can't get these early copies here in the USofA BUT we do have OUR advantages when buying domestically, at least from AMAZON. I do like having the look and feel of reading the actual book, but to have the ability to buy a largely discounted Kindle version for the (oh so very occasional) searches is something that the others apparently do not have. :idea:[/quote]
Post by John Prigent   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:06 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

And for others in the UK, I've just checked ForbiddenPlanet.com which says it's available NOW, not a pre-order. Co if anyone can't bear to wait......

Cheers, John
Post by Charybdis   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:33 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

The anticipation of AtSoT makes 8 November seem so far away. :cry:

Yet the 'other' event of 8 November means incessant phone calls and stuffed mailbox! :evil:

Oh, the dichotomy of it all! At least, in a hat-tip to our English brethren, it is not Guy Fawkes day so our dosage of the 'Anonymous' masks should be at a minimum. :|
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Peter2   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Charybdis wrote:[snip]
Oh, the dichotomy of it all! At least, in a hat-tip to our English brethren, it is not Guy Fawkes day so our dosage of the 'Anonymous' masks should be at a minimum. :|

Round here, they've anticipated that as well. For about half an hour last night, it sounded a bit like the opening barrage at the Battle of El Alamein. And I think I might have just heard the first far-off crackle of tonight's fusillade.

Return to Safehold