Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Amazon just sent a message, my copy from ATST is en route

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Amazon just sent a message, my copy from ATST is en rout
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:22 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Peter2 wrote:
Charybdis wrote:[snip]
Oh, the dichotomy of it all! At least, in a hat-tip to our English brethren, it is not Guy Fawkes day so our dosage of the 'Anonymous' masks should be at a minimum. :|

Round here, they've anticipated that as well. For about half an hour last night, it sounded a bit like the opening barrage at the Battle of El Alamein. And I think I might have just heard the first far-off crackle of tonight's fusillade.

All quiet on the Southern front.

I'd pre-ordered with amazon, so I guess I'll be back of the queue. Ah well...

[Edit] Interesting. Book Depository is quoting price as £22.92, but amazon uk is showing hardback as £13.59... that seems a large price difference. That eases the pain a bit :-)
Post by n7axw   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:59 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I don't see any advantage to preordering and allowing store to sit on my money while I wait on book. I'll just download when it becomes available and pick up print copy when I make it to the store.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Philip Stanley   » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Philip Stanley
Lieutenant Commander

Last year I sent this list of representative (what I consider) great science fiction to my granddaughter. I wonder how many of these books are available today on nook/kindle

Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man / The Stars My Destination

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451

John Brunner - Stand on Zanzibar

Hal Clement - Mission of Gravity

Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Gordon R. Dickson - Dorsai / The Tactics of Mistake

Robert L. Forward - Dragon’s Egg

Alan Dean Foster - The Tar-Aiym-Krang / Nor Crystal Tears

Harry Harrison -Deathworld

Robert A. Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land / The Man Who Sold the Moon (collection)

Frank Herbert - Dune / The Dosadi Experiment

Larry Niven - Protector

Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle - The Mote in God’s Eye

Frederick Pohl - Gateway / Beyond the Blue Event Horizon

Norman Spinrad - Bug Jack Barron

Theodore Sturgeon - More Than Human

Philip Stanley
Post by Charybdis   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:07 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Philip Stanley wrote:Last year I sent this list of representative (what I consider) great science fiction to my granddaughter. I wonder how many of these books are available today on nook/kindle

Robert A. Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land / The Man Who Sold the Moon (collection)

Larry Niven - Protector

Philip Stanley

I think that you can check on Amazon for these yourself BUT I want to thank you for this list as I did not realize that Heinlein's books have made it to Kindle. I will be spending some money there I think! For myself, there are still some books that I really keep hitting that 'I want in Kindle' button. Roger Zelazny's nonAvalon books, Raymond Feist's Magician series and some others.
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:12 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Charybdis wrote:
Philip Stanley wrote:Last year I sent this list of representative (what I consider) great science fiction to my granddaughter. I wonder how many of these books are available today on nook/kindle

Larry Niven - Protector

Philip Stanley

I think that you can check on Amazon for these yourself BUT I want to thank you for this list as I did not realize that Heinlein's books have made it to Kindle. I will be spending some money there I think! For myself, there are still some books that I really keep hitting that 'I want in Kindle' button. Roger Zelazny's nonAvalon books, Raymond Feist's Magician series and some others.

Baen carries a lot of otherwise out of print books in E-format. I checked the Heinlein list and while it has a lot of his juveniles, it doesn't have the ones mentioned. I didn't check any of the other authors suggested.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by chrisd   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:58 pm

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

Charybdis wrote:The anticipation of AtSoT makes 8 November seem so far away. :cry:

Yet the 'other' event of 8 November means incessant phone calls and stuffed mailbox! :evil:

Oh, the dichotomy of it all! At least, in a hat-tip to our English brethren, it is not Guy Fawkes day so our dosage of the 'Anonymous' masks should be at a minimum. :|

With the present "Choice" offered to the USA perhaps they shold ask E11R to allow them back . . . . . .

Otherwise get their own, home grown, Guy Fawkes
Post by Charybdis   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Keith_w wrote:
=== SNIP ===
=== SNIP ===
Philip Stanley

Baen carries a lot of otherwise out of print books in E-format. I checked the Heinlein list and while it has a lot of his juveniles, it doesn't have the ones mentioned. I didn't check any of the other authors suggested.

Beg to differ but "Stranger in a Strange Land " is available ($9.99) while the "Man Who Sold the Moon" is available ($6.99) as a 'double' with "Orphans of the Sky" (not the collection!) This is Kindle - Amazon USA if that makes a difference and my search args in Amazon were "heinlein stranger" and "heinlein man who sold". :)
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:19 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Charybdis wrote:
Keith_w wrote: quote="Philip Stanley"Last year I sent this list of representative (what I consider) great science fiction to my granddaughter. I wonder how many of these books are available today on nook/kindle
=== SNIP ===
=== SNIP ===
Philip Stanley /quote

Beg to differ but "Stranger in a Strange Land " is available ($9.99) while the "Man Who Sold the Moon" is available ($6.99) as a 'double' with "Orphans of the Sky" (not the collection!) This is Kindle - Amazon USA if that makes a difference and my search args in Amazon were "heinlein stranger" and "heinlein man who sold". :)

How is that a differ? I spoke directly of Baen Books, (http://www.baen.com/), not of what is available through Amazon.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Safehold