Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests

Aging Inner Circle

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Aging Inner Circle
Post by NervousEnergy   » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:46 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

USMA74 wrote:Owl can manufacture the drugs for life extension if Merlin wants him to. Think about the suspended animation drugs that he had Owl make when he rescued the girl, her brother and father from the internment camp in HFQ.

I would tend to agree with this, unless it gets directly handwaved away by Himself. Aging isn't well understood today in terms of cellular/molecular events, but nanites that can repair the body should be able to keep it young, with the exception of neurons. That's the currently known limiting factor... neurons do not divide/reproduce, and they live a theoretical max of ~120 years or so. A healthy body that doesn't die by other means is destined for dementia eventually. We assume the TF solved this problem to at least some degree due to the lifespan of the original colonists.

Even without prolonging brain cells the recipients of TF nanites will almost certainly live as long as the healthiest 1%, since nothing else really can go wrong that the nanites can't fix until the brain finally goes.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:07 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

A lot of good feedback to these questions...
As I read it, the consensuses is that it should be possible for the Inner Circle to make anti-aging drugs and the potential for a device to be designed and built to 'download' members of the inner circle to provide additional 'sets of eyes' to sort through the SNARC's take or just to keep someone around for guidance and advice is also there.
I don't think that a slowly aging Cayleb or Sharlyan are a major concern... at the rate things have progressed in the (less than one year) in last two books, the Imperial Charasian Army and Navy ought to be knocking on the doors of the temple (at least moving on Zion) by the end of this next book... sooner or later, the Grand Inquisitors head will roll and the cat lizard will be out of the bag.

I do want to touch back to points I raised about Merlin/Nimue as well as OWL having tunnel vision and how Merlin has begun deciding things based on not wanting to loose any more friends. I also point to the hints that came up in the conversation that OWL and Norman have when discussing the key at the beginning of LaMA. There is a lot of data in OWL's files that OWL doesn't see the value of and some (like the backup file for Nimue) that he doesn't even know he has. Lacking imagination and intuition, he needs someone to ask the right question...

I started LaMA today on my task to re-read all the previous books before the Sound of Thunder is released... Oh!!! But the Cubs made it to the World Series and the combination of cheering for the downtrodden and underdog as well as having been born in Chicago may distract me a bit. ;)

Thanks to an alert reader who pointed out an error I made
You might want to edit - It is "At the Sign of Triumph" not "At the Sound of Thunder" UNLESS you were making a point that I am missing! (smile)

It was not an attempt at being cryptic just a case of my fingers running faster than my brain.
Last edited by C. O. Thompson on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by thanatos   » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:58 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

While I agree that an aging Inner Circle is a long term problem, especially since the series is likely to jump forward some 15-20 Safeholdian years, there are still a couple of points that bear mentioning:

First, Merlin reflects in OAR upon his decision to inject both Cayleb and Haarahld with the medical nanites and his decision not to give them the anti-aging drugs to go with them. One reason was that he didn't trust the drugs to work properly, even after centuries in cold storage (or if they'd have negative side effects). But another reason was his realization that he couldn't have Cayleb running around looking like a 20 or 30 year old while those around him continued to age. Indeed, much like the decision Benjamin Mayhew made in the Honorverse, to not avail himself of the Prolong treatments while at school on Earth, I would surmise the Cayleb would agree that it would be unfair to his subjects that only those in the Inner Circle got the Anti-Gerone treatments while the rest of Charis didn't. And that doesn't even cover the religious aspects involved and the inevitable accusations of demonic interference that an overly young Cayleb or Sharleyan would lead to.

Second, Merlin doesn't really need to do give the Inner Circle anti-gerone treatments if only because it is growing at a satisfying rate. Moreover, once the Church is defeated, it might be safer to recruit a larger number of people into the Inner Circle, perhaps without even telling them how widespread the "conspiracy" is. And like the characters of Stephanie Mallard, her brother and her father, it might be better to take in a couple hundred orphaned children and bring them to the cave to become the new generation of Terran Federation citizens. Raised from childhood with modern technology and modern medicine, they could be a potential fallback plan if whatever is under the temple is crazy enough to bomb Safehold back to the stone age and start fresh. It would allow them to preserve the knowledge and the impetus to push forward and serve later on as a new generation of "seijin" who could be sent out into the decimated Safehold and undermine the new order from the get go.
Post by Sharp Claw   » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:52 pm

Sharp Claw
Lieutenant Commander

Owl should be working on expanding the VR unit right now as well as a means to transfer key people into it. Anti-aging, even if it was available, does nothing to prevent death by violence or accident.
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:11 am

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Another question to consider is whether or not Alannah or the twins will be getting N.E.A.T. Implants.

What is really involved in those implants? Textev States that they were generally implanted shortly after birth as part of the standard medical procedures. Can they also be implanted in an older mature adult? Does Owll have the capability of creating and implanting the interfaces needed to use a neat? We do not know what is actually involved.
Post by Silverwall   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Silverwall
Captain (Junior Grade)

PlaysWithBees wrote:Another question to consider is whether or not Alannah or the twins will be getting N.E.A.T. Implants.

What is really involved in those implants? Textev States that they were generally implanted shortly after birth as part of the standard medical procedures. Can they also be implanted in an older mature adult? Does Owll have the capability of creating and implanting the interfaces needed to use a neat? We do not know what is actually involved.

I am pretty sure the answer is "No" to all of the above.

In story It would be exceedingly difficult to do so, brain surgery is way beyond anything we have seen owl pull off so far, and I am sure that trying to install in an adult is way more complex than in an undeveloped baby's brain.

Story wise I am sure Webber is using these technologies to highlight what has been lost not as devices he intends to use during the reunification wars on safehold, such devices would only logically be used in story once the conflict moves on the Gbaba.
Post by Bluestrike2   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:14 pm

Bluestrike2
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Silverwall wrote:
PlaysWithBees wrote:Another question to consider is whether or not Alannah or the twins will be getting N.E.A.T. Implants.

I am pretty sure the answer is "No" to all of the above.

In story It would be exceedingly difficult to do so, brain surgery is way beyond anything we have seen owl pull off so far, and I am sure that trying to install in an adult is way more complex than in an undeveloped baby's brain.

Story wise I am sure Webber is using these technologies to highlight what has been lost not as devices he intends to use during the reunification wars on safehold, such devices would only logically be used in story once the conflict moves on the Gbaba.

Earlier I mentioned that I think molecular assembly is probably one of the most interesting social forces in the TF backstory. Brain implants are a close second.

The text only briefly touched on reasons why Merlin wasn't implanting the Inner Circle, and the explanation left a lot of questions unanswered. Probably on purpose. Anyhow, the given explanation was that brain implants would leave visible evidence that would be plainly obvious to a Pasqualite. And while it's unlikely that anyone would be digging around in a member of the Inner Circle's brain, there's always the possibility of massive trauma that would bring a Pasqualite into proximity. Bomb blasts, gunshots, etc. Safehold, as Merlin has constantly reminded us, is a high wear environment.

I’m not sure I buy that argument, but given the presence of anything in someone’s brain would be irrevocable proof of demon worship, tainting every single thing accomplished, I can understand caution. And it helps RFC avoid the presence of “magic” plot solutions.

Anyhow, there’s a lot we’re still working to understand about the human brain (and boy, that’s an understatement), but current research does give us a few ideas on what a brain implant would have to accomplish in a very broad sense. Of course, there’s a massive chasm between that and being able to design one.

If you look at what happened to Nahrmahn, the text strongly suggests there’s no reason an adult can’t be implanted. That’s what Nahrman’s nanites had to do in order to record his personality. They scavenged his brain and body for materials, and built an implant capable of serving as an interface between a computer (the recording device) and his brain.

Long-term memories are processed, encoded, and stored across multiple structures in the brain. When a memory is recalled, those individual pieces are effectively re-combined. There’s also a lot of interconnectedness here; for instance, sense data can be connected to multiple memories. So the interface had to not only connect to the brain, it had to be able to stimulate the recall of particular memories so it could record the memory, how it was processed on recall, and tons of other data. In computer I/O terms, the interface has to be able to both read and write to the brain’s different structures in order to record in the first place.

Imagine a digital representation of the brain running in parallel to the user’s brain with lots of sensors scattered throughout to monitor neural activity. That’s your implant. When the brain recalls memories, the implant is able to map out the neural connections involved and somehow ‘record’ the data stored in the active neurons. You need the data itself, but you also need the map of how it’s connected to other neurons and the ability to direct the brain to activate particular neurons. Combine the two, and you have your virtual personality.

Nahrmahn’s interface would have had to connect to pretty much every aspect of the brain. It was quick and dirty, as Merlin acknowledges, but that’s just referring to how it was constructed. Scavenging materials from the patient’s brain and body while said body is literally dying isn’t the normal way of doing things. You’d be in a controlled/monitored environment, and use an external source of materials. And given the complexity of the task of recording a person's personality, it's not something you're going to half-ass. The implant designs and software were refined over decades or centuries. You aren't going to pick and choose which aspects you want to cram into Nahrmahn's brain. That leads to bugs, and bugs in this case would lead to possible failure. That's just bad hardware and software engineering.

For a living adult not currently fighting off massive trauma, in a controlled environment, the actual implantation should be simple in light of the TF’s capabilities.

While it’s possible that a child’s brain might be better able to adapt to an implant more fully, but research would suggest that’s largely a function of time. Neuroplasticity of the brain is a process that radically challenged much of what we thought we understood about the brain’s development and structures. Stimuli, such as traumatic brain injury, can force the brain to change and effectively rewire itself. While differing degrees of success have been observed depending on the changes and stimuli in question, it stands to reason that the brain would be capable of adjusting to the presence of a neural implant or the NEAT systems even in adulthood. And that’s assuming that the TF didn’t have the ability to directly affect neuroplasticity, a bet that I wouldn’t be willing to take.

Plus, the original brain implants would have had to have been implanted in humans at some point. Child subjects, and this is ignoring the blindingly obvious ethical problems such an approach would be mired in, would be incapable of providing the sort of detailed feedback needed. Once they became more common place, the process more refined, and the implant's software became more flexible based on collected data, it's likely that they started implanting them earlier and earlier.

The more likely explanation for implanting infants is that they did so because they could. Implants would likely provide all sorts of tangential early developmental benefits, emergency monitoring, identification, medical benefits, etc. Painful though it is to admit, children aren’t immune to massive trauma through accidents. Just like with adults, implants and personality backups would allow doctors to work to repair massive neurological trauma in infants without risking deficits. In that sense, implants and personality backups were the ultimate in insurance policies: no matter what happens to you and your brain, you’d at least have a very good chance of regeneration without lost memories, personality, etc. And once the child starts schooling, the expected NEAT benefits would manifest.

Finally, RFC only mentioned that TF citizens were normally implanted early in infancy. He didn't say they were only implanted in infancy, though that's how most people seem to have interpreted the line.
Post by Silverwall   » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:52 pm

Silverwall
Captain (Junior Grade)

Interesting reply but the complexity of tapping into existing memories and the gaps in "Nharman" that resulted stongly support the theory that infancy would be the best time medically for such a procedure.

While we have a lot to learn about the brain a lot of what we are learning though things like concussion and related issues is how unbelievably complex the brain is.

Personally I think that we will find that such incredibly complex brain-interfaces will be theoretically possible in the same way star trek style teleporters are. Mathematically possible but would require more processing power than the entire universe holds to actually make it function safely.

Neural education devices are a staple of sci-fi and probably one of the elements we are getting further from as we slowly learn more about how the brain actually functions and we start discarding our primitive Cartesian thinking about consciousness and memory.
Post by Keith_w   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:54 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Silverwall wrote:Interesting reply but the complexity of tapping into existing memories and the gaps in "Nharman" that resulted stongly support the theory that infancy would be the best time medically for such a procedure.

While we have a lot to learn about the brain a lot of what we are learning though things like concussion and related issues is how unbelievably complex the brain is.

Personally I think that we will find that such incredibly complex brain-interfaces will be theoretically possible in the same way star trek style teleporters are. Mathematically possible but would require more processing power than the entire universe holds to actually make it function safely.

Neural education devices are a staple of sci-fi and probably one of the elements we are getting further from as we slowly learn more about how the brain actually functions and we start discarding our primitive Cartesian thinking about consciousness and memory.

Thanks to the two of you for the previous 2 posts, lots to think about there.

One of the major problems with the entire idea of brain implants and NEATs is the core of this entire story which is how easy it would be to implant the memories you want to implant in order to control the populace. Langhorne and Bedard did it via the NEATs to create a theocracy. We have seen how simple propaganda can control a populace that has an underlying resentment. I for one am glad that no such method of direct control is possible (yet), it is already tough enough to sort the baloney without having to fight off false memories.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:16 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Sharp Claw wrote:Owl should be working on expanding the VR unit right now as well as a means to transfer key people into it. Anti-aging, even if it was available, does nothing to prevent death by violence or accident.

Because death by violence or accident seem to be the most likely event (Hector encounter with a bomb comes to mind) it really seems that having a backup which could be laced in a PICA should be on the top of the list of tactical goals. It would help to keep the continuity of leadership and allow the flesh and blood team to provide their own 24/7 <or rather 26/5> attention to the SNARC takes.

Also, the war will not last forever and I, for one would like to see Cayleb and Sharleyan stay young long enough to lead a rededicated Safehold
Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Safehold