Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests

How will you be reading AtSoT when it arrives?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: How will you be reading AtSoT when it arrives?
Post by OJsDad   » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:00 pm

OJsDad
Lieutenant Commander

Reading on my laptops Nook App.
Post by USMA74   » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:28 am

USMA74
Commander

Since I am one of the lucky ones that live in the United States my reduced price Kindle version will arrive at roughly 2301 local time on 7 November. That means I can be read it during breaks at work and find out what happens in those fixed breaks in my Amazon "Look Inside" version instead of being depressed about our national electoral insanity. (350,000,000 people in this country and those two are the best that the two major parties can come up with? :evil: )

When I pick up my mail after work I will get the hard copy which is the only real way to enjoy RFC/MWW's efforts. I will then retire to a comfortable chair with good light until the first rapid read-through is complete.

Vote Cthulhu 2016! Why settle for a lesser evil?
Last edited by USMA74 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:41 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Charybdis wrote:It being 14 October, we are now one Safehold month (5 Five-Days) from the Grand Reveal! 8-)

Can the anticipation be any higher? I, for one, having briefly browsed the Amazon 'preview', decided to forgo that for the joy of a good long read. :)

Given that Tuesday, 8 November, is also the US Election day, I will have good music, suitable beverages and thus I will tune-OUT that discordant world! (FYI: I am in control of my personal world - I am a bachelor. Being that, in so many other aspects this is an undesirable state of affairs, I will take advantage of this solitude!) :roll:

So, let us take a survey of anticipation!
Book Format (Print/Electron/Both):
Expected Arrival Date & Time:
Expected Read Start:
Single Sitting Read (Y/N):
Married? (Y/N):
Expect Interruptions? (Y/N):
Music? (Y/N):
-> If yes, Headphones (Y/N):
Beverage? (Y/N):
-> If yes, Type:
Snack? (Y/N):
-> If yes, Type:
Expected Reading Time for 1st Read?:
Immediate re-read? (Y/N):
-> If yes, how many?:
How tight will YOUR snerk collar be?:
- - - - -
How long will you take to want the NEXT Book? (do not use pico-seconds):

My answers:
Book Format (Print/Electron/Both): ............................. Both
Expected Arrival Date & Time: .................................... Kindle Early AM 11/08/16
Expected Read Start: .................................................... Same
Single Sitting Read (Y/N): ........................................... Y
Married? (Y/N): ........................ ................................... N
Expect Interruptions? (Y/N): ........................................ N (will not answer)
Music? (Y/N): ............................................................... Y - Classical
-> If yes, Headphones (Y/N): .............................................. Maybe
Beverage? (Y/N): ......................................................... Y
-> If yes, Type: ..................................................................... Strong Coffee
Snack? (Y/N): ............................................................... N
-> If yes, Type: ...................................................................... ---
Expected Reading Time for 1st Read?: ........................ ~3 hours
Immediate re-read? (Y/N): ............................................ Y
-> If yes, how many?: ........................................................... ~2
How tight will YOUR snerk collar be?: ... .................... Not that tight - wait for others and see.
- - - - -
How long will you take to want the NEXT Book? (do not use pico-seconds): Maybe a day! :lol:

Feel free to add lines and/or comments - as if you would not!

I purchased the last two books only as Kindle versions, then I saw a note that I could get the Kindle for a few dollars if I bought the hard bound first (so I did that)
I like the heft of a hardbound book and the swish of pages being turned in the otherwise quite bubble I place myself in to read.
I expect that I will start reading the electronic version as soon as I can but will likely switch over for the first read through... I also expect to re-read soon after I finish but I have the Honor Harrington ((hard bound) different publisher is not making the same offer ;-( )coming at about the same time so I'll have to see.
I am married and today my wife commented that she doesn't have the luxury to spend all day reading but... I was the one that worked outside of the house for 40 years and now that I am retired I don't do what I don't want to do.

Anyway, I have been re-reading the series to line up the facts in my memory and staying away from the Spoilers and Snippets this time. I expect to read with few distractions though might be drawn to World Series if the Cubs make it and other than eating, sleep when I cannot keep my eyes open or prevent the book from falling out of my unconscious hands and one or three other obligations, I will read nonstop.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Rhovan   » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:48 am

Rhovan
Midshipman

Book Format (Print/Electron/Both): Electron (Kindle)
Expected Arrival Date & Time: 8. Nov
Expected Read Start: 8.Nov
Single Sitting Read (Y/N): No
Married? (Y/N): Y
Expect Interruptions? (Y/N): Y (Kids :D )
Music? (Y/N): n
-> If yes, Headphones (Y/N): n
Beverage? (Y/N): Y
-> If yes, Type: coffee
Snack? (Y/N): n (pc read, dont need a sticky keyboard)
-> If yes, Type:
Expected Reading Time for 1st Read?: 1 week
Immediate re-read? (Y/N): y
-> If yes, how many?: maybe whole saga
How tight will YOUR snerk collar be?:
- - - - -
How long will you take to want the NEXT Book? (do not use pico-seconds): i hope not longer than a year
Post by shayvaan   » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:51 pm

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Book Format: Electronic-Ibook
Expected arrival/Read: Nov 8
Single sitting read: I wish :lol:
Married: Y (and 5 kids)
Expect Interruptions: lololololololol (see above plus work and church)
Music: No, musician, music is a siren song for me :D
Beverage: lots of icy H2O (or was that H2SO4, must remember to ask little Willie)
Snack: must remember the popcorn :D
Expected reading time for 1st read: depends on how slow work is and how many interrupts 1-4 days
Immediate re-read: yes to savor what was interrupted :lol:
How many times: 1 along with SoV
How long before I want the next book: I wanted the completed saga years ago 8-)
Post by DDHv   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:38 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

At the Jamestown library when BJ gets a day's work there. Slow, (still working thru HFQ) but on my budget :roll:

I reserve ILL (inter library loan) orders for non fiction books. I'm way behind there also, when winter hits and outdoor work isn't possible, the order rate will be increased to two a week. It would be more, but delivery tends to be lumpy
:!:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by phillies   » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:24 am

phillies
Admiral

From the beginning.

If it shows up on election day, I will interrupt to watch the lunacy unfold.
Post by Charybdis   » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:07 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

I think I will allow me to interrupt my own thread for this semi-momentous announcement; The Chicago Cubs have broken through a 71 year drought to reach the World Series! :lol:

While I am a Tampa Bay Rays fan, The Cubs have our former manager, Joe Maddon at the helm and Ben Zobrist at 2nd Base. :D

It has been said that Moses had advised a departed Cubbie fan that the Messiah might come before a Cub World Series win BUT now maybe the 108 year drought will be broken! :?:

I now return us to our normal discussion but I have posted this on the Free Topic Forum if you want to join in there.
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:18 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

DDHv wrote:At the Jamestown library when BJ gets a day's work there. Slow, (still working thru HFQ) but on my budget :roll:

I reserve ILL (inter library loan) orders for non fiction books. I'm way behind there also, when winter hits and outdoor work isn't possible, the order rate will be increased to two a week. It would be more, but delivery tends to be lumpy
:!:

I expect that I have more budget to buy a book than my town library and CT's ILL does not loan out new books for several months.
A few times I have though about buying a full set of David's books for my local library but since I retired, I don't have that much disposable income. :oops:
(is that Jamestown in NY?)
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:23 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:From the beginning.

If it shows up on election day, I will interrupt to watch the lunacy unfold.

I might carry my book or kindle into the line while I go to vote but... Oh for the days when we had to wait for the votes to be counted before a winner was declared. It used to take till the next day when I was a kid. Now the networks are reporting based on early exit interviews so if it is raining on the west coast, or if you have a district with long lines... you might as well just stay home.
I am about 25 miles from you and will vote by 09:00 eastern

By the way... "from the beginning" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Safehold