Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

How will you be reading AtSoT when it arrives?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
How will you be reading AtSoT when it arrives?
Post by Charybdis   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:41 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

It being 14 October, we are now one Safehold month (5 Five-Days) from the Grand Reveal! 8-)

Can the anticipation be any higher? I, for one, having briefly browsed the Amazon 'preview', decided to forgo that for the joy of a good long read. :)

Given that Tuesday, 8 November, is also the US Election day, I will have good music, suitable beverages and thus I will tune-OUT that discordant world! (FYI: I am in control of my personal world - I am a bachelor. Being that, in so many other aspects this is an undesirable state of affairs, I will take advantage of this solitude!) :roll:

So, let us take a survey of anticipation!
Book Format (Print/Electron/Both):
Expected Arrival Date & Time:
Expected Read Start:
Single Sitting Read (Y/N):
Married? (Y/N):
Expect Interruptions? (Y/N):
Music? (Y/N):
-> If yes, Headphones (Y/N):
Beverage? (Y/N):
-> If yes, Type:
Snack? (Y/N):
-> If yes, Type:
Expected Reading Time for 1st Read?:
Immediate re-read? (Y/N):
-> If yes, how many?:
How tight will YOUR snerk collar be?:
- - - - -
How long will you take to want the NEXT Book? (do not use pico-seconds):

My answers:
Book Format (Print/Electron/Both): ............................. Both
Expected Arrival Date & Time: .................................... Kindle Early AM 11/08/16
Expected Read Start: .................................................... Same
Single Sitting Read (Y/N): ........................................... Y
Married? (Y/N): ........................ ................................... N
Expect Interruptions? (Y/N): ........................................ N (will not answer)
Music? (Y/N): ............................................................... Y - Classical
-> If yes, Headphones (Y/N): .............................................. Maybe
Beverage? (Y/N): ......................................................... Y
-> If yes, Type: ..................................................................... Strong Coffee
Snack? (Y/N): ............................................................... N
-> If yes, Type: ...................................................................... ---
Expected Reading Time for 1st Read?: ........................ ~3 hours
Immediate re-read? (Y/N): ............................................ Y
-> If yes, how many?: ........................................................... ~2
How tight will YOUR snerk collar be?: ... .................... Not that tight - wait for others and see.
- - - - -
How long will you take to want the NEXT Book? (do not use pico-seconds): Maybe a day! :lol:

Feel free to add lines and/or comments - as if you would not!
-----

What say you, my peers?
Re: How will you be reading AtSoT when it arrives?
Post by John Prigent   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:21 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

I shall start reading AtSoT as soon after downloading it as I've finished whatever I happen to be reading already. Which might take a while if I'm halfway through a series at the time and want to finish it! But assuming that I start on publication day and that I have no visitors, or work to be done, I'll probably go deliberately slow and savour it over at least three days.

Cheers,John
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:31 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

I shall be reading the paper version - at some point in November, courtesy of amazon uk and their somewhat sporadic dates.

I'm getting into 'slow reading', so comfortable chair, ideally with nice view out the window - snugly closed if cold otherwise open to get the fresh air. Several days I think.

No music - I find it takes away my concentration

Good coffee or tea to accompany. I'll try to keep off the snacks - dont want dribble marks on the pages! :-)

I'll be doing other things as/when required by higher authorities, but thats probably a good thing as my eyes go all widgey if I read for too long at one sitting.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:34 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I will be reading hardbound. Kindle sells on the release date, the hardbound is invariably available up to a week earlier at Barnes and Noble. As is my custom with Safehold novels, I will be enjoying the first experience with book in hand enjoying a dram or two of Matalan's. I used to enjoy a cigar, but I gave up that habit a while back.

Once the hardback is read cover to cover several times, I usually purchase the Kindle version when I begin trying look for key insights into the next few books. That is good for several rereads.
Post by XofDallas   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:03 am

XofDallas
Commander

X's Answers:

Book Format (Print/Electron/Both): Both
Expected Arrival Date & Time: Anywhere from Nov 4- Nov 8
Expected Read Start: Nov 5-6 (I sincerely hope)
Single Sitting Read (Y/N): N. Probably 2-3 sittings, but ya never know
Married? (Y/N): N
Expect Interruptions? (Y/N): Y 1 Dr. appt, 1 Class
Music? (Y/N): Y
-> If yes, Headphones (Y/N): N
Beverage? (Y/N): Y
-> If yes, Type: Sodas, shakes, smoothies
Snack? (Y/N): Y
-> If yes, Type: Hors d-oeuvres, sammiches
Expected Reading Time for 1st Read?: 2 days
Immediate re-read? (Y/N): Y
-> If yes, how many?: Prolly 2 rereads initially
How tight will YOUR snerk collar be?: ima chill! no tight collah fer me!
- - - - -
How long will you take to want the NEXT Book? (do not use pico-seconds): 2 weeks = 12.096e+17 picoseconds +/-

1 edit: Why the hell I put down that I'm married, I'll never know (shudder)
Post by Starsaber   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:43 am

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'll be listening to the audiobook over the week or so after it comes out, resulting in being even further behind on podcasts than I am now. ;)
Post by evilauthor   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:17 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Kindle.

As much as I love paper books, I just don't have the room at home for all of them. It why I've been exclusively E-books for the last few years now.
Post by WeberFan   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:18 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Charybdis wrote:Book Format (Print/Electron/Both):
Expected Arrival Date & Time:
Expected Read Start:
Single Sitting Read (Y/N):
Married? (Y/N):
Expect Interruptions? (Y/N):
Music? (Y/N):
-> If yes, Headphones (Y/N):
Beverage? (Y/N):
-> If yes, Type:
Snack? (Y/N):
-> If yes, Type:
Expected Reading Time for 1st Read?:
Immediate re-read? (Y/N):
-> If yes, how many?:
How tight will YOUR snerk collar be?:
- - - - -
How long will you take to want the NEXT Book? (do not use pico-seconds):

For what it's worth, there's a better than even chance that I'll be overseas (Kuwait) on release day. Haven't checked my reservations yet, but I could be on the return flight either that day or shortly thereafter. That being the case:
Book Format (Print/Electron/Both): Electronic - I haven't bought any of the series through Amazon - I've actually gotten them all directly through Tor. I DID get a hard copy of LAMA at the National Book festival (signed by Himself), but that was a one-off.
Expected Arrival Date & Time: Either the 8th or the 9th, depending on what time zone you consider...
Expected Read Start: Probably within a couple of hours of when I'm able to download it.
Single Sitting Read (Y/N): Likely.
Married? (Y/N): Yes, but very understanding where Safehold is concerned...
Expect Interruptions? (Y/N): Few if any.
Music? (Y/N): Nope
-> If yes, Headphones (Y/N): N/A
Beverage? (Y/N): If I'm on the airplane at the time, then I expect that I'll be tossing back a LOT of Glenfiddich...
-> If yes, Type: See above.
Snack? (Y/N): Ditto.
-> If yes, Type: Ditto.
Expected Reading Time for 1st Read?: Conveniently, the return flight (with layover) from Kuwait to the US is about 18 hours, which is about 4 hours longer than I'll need. I've always been a fast reader, and am cursed (??) with a nearly eidetic memory. Seems like I do OK with short-term, but then the memories of what I saw / read / experienced become clearer over time - to the extent that I often remember the page number where I read something years after the fact.
Immediate re-read? (Y/N): Probably not. I'll probably start cross referencing the book against the previous ones, and against the map set to build a mental context.
-> If yes, how many?: N/A
How tight will YOUR snerk collar be?: Probably not at all because by then it'll be the SPOILER COLLAR!!! (was this a trick question Charybdis???)
How long will you take to want the NEXT Book? (do not use pico-seconds): Are femtoseconds allowed?
Post by Charybdis   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:42 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

WeberFan wrote:
===SNIP===
How tight will YOUR snerk collar be?: Probably not at all because by then it'll be the SPOILER COLLAR!!! (was this a trick question Charybdis???)
How long will you take to want the NEXT Book? (do not use pico-seconds): Are femtoseconds allowed?

"Snerk Collar for those lucky people getting access when the bookstores put them on the shelf - could be up to a week's advantage! For them it is indeed a SNERK! For all others, you are right, it will be a SPOILER Collar! :roll:

Picoseconds are for us normals. :(
If you are actually able to work in femtoseconds, then you have the technology to teleport the next volume into RFC's work room? It will get it to the rest of us that much faster! :lol:
FYI: Triggering a nuclear blast is not actually working in femtoseconds, femtoseconds merely explaining how fast the reaction occurs! :shock:
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by 9aces   » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:10 pm

9aces
Ensign

Ebook. I'll pull an all nighter if it comes available early am.

Return to Safehold