Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

SPOILER SNIPPET #8 from the Amazon "See Inside Feature"

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
SPOILER SNIPPET #8 from the Amazon "See Inside Feature"
Post by USMA74   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:34 am

USMA74
Commander

I checked with forum police and he said that since this was out in the public I could post this. I bought both the hardback and the Kindle version of this book. Any errors in transcription are mine alone.

Karyl Rydmakyr, the Dowager countess of Cheshyr, still remembered the way the keep had struck her to the heart the first time she saw its steep-pitched, red-tiled tower roofs and sheer, storybook walls from the deck of the ship bearing her home to Cheshyr with her newlywed husband. She hadn’t known Styvyn well—indeed, when she came down to it, she hadn’t known him at all—before the wedding, but he’d been handsome, athletic, considerate of his young and very nervous bride, and unswervingly loyal to the House of Tayt. As a daughter of a cadet branch of that house, she’d understood how important that was. She’d also known how unusual it was among the Chisholmian aristocracy of her youth, for she’d been raided to be sensitive to the treacherous currents which swirled among the kingdom’s nobility. And because of that, she’d realized very clearly that Styvyn was a far greater matrimonial prize than the lord of an impoverished holding like Cheshyr might normally have been … especially then.

King Irwain had been a good man, and she’d respected him as her king, but he’d lacked the steel spine to stand up to the kingdom’s great nobles. His son, though … Prince Sailys had been a different sort. Young she might have been, but there’d never been anything wrong with Karyl Tayt’s brain, and despite the distance of their relationship—fifth cousins normally weren’t extraordinarily close—she’d strongly suspected her crown prince had plans he wasn’t discussing with his future adversaries.

More to the point, perhaps, her father had cherished the same suspicions, and when Prince Sailys had casually expressed himself as favoring the proposed match, Sir Ahdam Tayt had found it in his heart to accept the young earl’s offer for his second eldest daughter’s hand. It hadn’t been the sort of dashing wealthy marriage young Karyl had dreamed of, but given the penurious fortunes of her branch of the Tayt dynasty, it hadn’t been anything to turn her nose up at, either. And he had been good-looking, her Styvyn. Better still, he’d had a sense of humor and a brain almost as good as hers. And even more than that, he’d had a heart that dearly wanted his new wife to be happy and to love him … in that order.

With all of that going for him, she thought now, smiling as she drew the shawl more tightly around her shoulders while she sat very close to the hearth, how could she not have done both?

The memory of his presence wrapped itself about her more warmly than any shawl, and her hazel eyes softened, gazing into the flames at something only she could see. They’d had thirty good years, she and Styvyn, years in which he’d risen to general’s rank in the Royal Army and stood foursquare by first Prince Sailys’ and then King Sailys’ side.

And he’d died by his king’s side, as well.

Her smile faded, and she huddled deeper into the shawl, turning away from the pain of that memory, choosing instead to remember again that first glimpse of Rydymak Keep against a spectacular summer sky of crimson colas and smoke-blue cloud banners, The Sunset Hills upon which it stood weren’t much, as hills went, compared to the lofty Iron Spine Mountains in whose shadows she’d grown to young womanhood. But in low-lying Cheshyr, they’d amply deserved the title, and she’d fallen in love with the stone cottages of her new husband’s capital city even before she’d finished falling in love with him. Even today, she made it a point, weather permitting, to walk Rydymak’s streets, personally visit the school built close up against the church, and chaffer with the vendors in the farmer’s market at least once every five-day. She often thought she knew every inhabitant by name, and if she didn’t, it certainly wasn’t for want of trying?

Yet for all its scenic beauty, Rydymak Keep was a monumentally uncomfortable place to live. Styvyn had built her a beautiful little solar as a fifth-anniversary wedding gift. Given the state of Cheshyr’s exchequer, it had been ruinously extravagant of him, but he hadn’t cared. And the bedroom of their suite had been carefully draft-proofed. He’d even installed an enormous Harchong-style tiled stove, despite her protests, and she’d scolded him mercilessly for that indulgence. After all, she’d grown up in Tayt! A Cheshyr winter was a mere trifle to an Iron Spine girl. Besides—she smiled again—she’d never needed a stove to keep her warm whenever Styvyn was home.

The rest of the keep, however, was just as drafty, cold, and thoroughly miserable in winter as it looked, and she wondered why she was sitting here in the library in the middle of the night. The high-backed, thickly cushioned chair was comfortable enough, but that could scarcely be said of the shadowy, high-ceilinged, frigid chamber in which it sat.

You’re sitting here because you’re lonely, you’re worried, and you’re frightened, she told herself tartly, looking up to watch the fire-flicker dance on the exposed beams overhead. And because this is the chair where you used to sit in Styvyn’s lap while the two of you read the same book. Because sitting here, with a little piece of him, you don’t care if you’re cold … and you’re just a little less frightened than you are lying awake in that big, warm, lonely bed.

She snorted and jabbed irritably at the single tear that leaked its treacherous way down her check. Feeling maudlin never solved a problem, she reminded herself sternly. Unfortunately, she didn’t know what was going to solve the one she found herself facing this time.

If only that miserable, unmitigated son-of-a-bitch hadn’t gotten his hooks into Young Styvyn, she thought bitterly. Or if only Young Styvyn had half the brain his grandfather and his father had! Bedard knows I love the boy, but—

She chopped that thought off. It wasn’t her grandson’s fault he wasn’t the most brilliant young man ever born, and maybe it was at least partly her fault that he’d fallen so readily into Zhasyn Seafarer’s hand. She did love him—she truly did—but she’d always been … disappointed by her inability to interest him in the books, the poetry, the history she and his grandfather—and, for that matter, his own father—had loved so much. Perhaps he’d sensed that disappointment, decided it meant she didn’t love him, or—even worse—that she thought poorly of him. Could that be why his glamorous second cousin had found it so easy to worm his poisonous way into the boy’s affections?

Doesn’t hurt that the slick bastard’s a duke and as rich as Cheshyr is poor, either, does it? She reflected. And he is family, whether I like it or not. Somehow that whole marriage didn’t work out the way Styvyn and Sailys hoped it would, and, oh, how I wish I hadn’t found myself in a position to say “I told you so” to the pair of them! I truly did love Pahtrysha, though. Of course, she couldn’t stand Zhasyn either. A brief, fond smile flittered across her lips. Always did have good taste, Pahtrysha did, especially for a Seafarmer. Look who she married!

The smile vanished as completely as the hope she’d once cherished that Pahtrysha Seafarmer’s marriage to her son Kahlvyn might open at least a small crack in the Dukes of Rock Coast’s adamantine opposition to the Crown’s dominance of Chisholm. The only Seafarmer they’d won to their cause in the end had been Pahtrysha herself … and she’d died in the same carriage accident which paralyzed Kahlvyn and left him incapable of speech.

Sometimes I wonder what we did to draw Shan-wei’s hatred so strongly, she thought bitterly. Why has the world gone so far out of its way to demolish my family? Not even Father Kahrltyn can explain that one to me! It’s not like we haven’t always—

“Excuse me, My Lady.”

Karly Rydmakyr bounced out of the chair with an agility at odds with 75 her seventy-six winters. She landed at least a yard from it and whipped around, heart pounding, to stare at the blue-eyed young woman who couldn’t possibly be there. She opened her mouth, but before she could speak—or shout for help—the intruder raised a swift hand.

“Please, My Lady!” she said quickly in an accent that never came from Chisholm. “I’m a friend. In fact, Her Majesty sent me.”

Lady Karyl closed her mouth with a snap as she took in her impossible visitor’s blackened chain mail and the black-and-gold kraken and blue-and-white checkerboard blazoned across her breastplate. The mere fact that the intruder wore the accoutrements of the Imperial Charisian Guard didn’t guarantee one damned thing, but it certainly bore thinking upon.

“Friends don’t creep uninvited into locked rooms in someone else’s house, young woman!” she said acidly, instead of shouting for help.

Which might be just as well for any servants in the house in question, she reflected as her pulse slowed and she took in the curved sword and what had to be a pair of the newfangled revolvers holstered at the intruder’s waist.

“They do if Her Majesty’s impressed them with the importance of making contact with you without anyone else knowing about it,” the young woman said respectfully, and Lady Karyl’s eyes narrowed.

“That’s an interesting assertion.” She settle her shawl around her shoulders. “I trust you’ll understand that I’d like some verification that it’s also a truthful assertion.” She smiled with very little humor. “I’m afraid I’ve become somewhat less trusting of late.”

“According to Her Majesty, My Lady, you’ve never been exceptionally trusting where enemies of your house are concerned.” The younger woman’s smile was much warmer than Lady Karyl’s had been. “She tells me that her father spoke to her often about your husband’s loyalty to the Crown … and yours. In fact,” those blue eyes, so dark they were almost black in the lamplight, met Lady Karyl’s levelly, “she told me to tell you she hopes the doomwhale is still hidden in the cliff lizard’s mouth.”

Lady Karyl never actually moved a muscle, yet her spine—as steely straight as the Iron Spines she’d grown up among—seemed to relax ever so slightly. She stood for several more seconds, gazing at the interloper though narrow hazel eyes. Then she stepped back to her chair and pointed imperiously at a corner of the library’s enormous hearth.

“Move where I can see you,” she said, settling back into the chair she’d shared so often with Styvyn. “Besides,” she added with a small, crooked smile as the other woman obeyed her, “you’ll be at least marginally warmer!”

“Yes, My Lady.”

Lady Karyl studied her more carefully. Cheshyr couldn’t afford to waste first-quality kraken oil on its lamps, even in the library, and her eyes were
Re: SPOILER SNIPPET #8 from the Amazon "See Inside Feature"
Post by peke   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:37 am

peke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

It's been cut off midstride! CORRECT IT AT ONCE, SOLDIER!!!
... pretty please?
------------------------------------------------------
There is no problem so complex that it cannot be solved through the judicious application of high-power explosives.
Post by EdThomas   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:46 am

EdThomas
Captain of the List

I think the beginning paragraphs of this snippet are some of the most beautiful I've ever read.
Thanks for posting this piece.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:18 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

EdThomas wrote:I think the beginning paragraphs of this snippet are some of the most beautiful I've ever read.

Ever sinse we read that exchange in which Lady Karyl's situation was mentioned between Sharleyan and Cayleb in HFQ, I have been wondering how the good lady's security would be dealt with. Now we know.

A great snippet... Thanks :D

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:23 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Probably wouldn't help - my view of this passage started 9 paragraphs later, and ended 9 paragraphs later. To even less effect!

There's no way these things are random. Himself spent at least a week marking up the sections to be cut at all costs!

peke wrote:It's been cut off midstride! CORRECT IT AT ONCE, SOLDIER!!!
... pretty please?
Post by NervousEnergy   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:34 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

My preview includes the next several pages, but I'm not about to post them without explicit permission.

My total Amazon preview only goes up to about page 180 in any case, with missing bits and pieces all the way. The way it seems to work technically is almost too taunting... when I first went to the preview after the post came up here that it was available, I read here and there through the book, and the way it was scrolling it looked like a LOT was available. I grabbed the cursor and moved it randomly down about 2/3 of the way to see if I can read anything from the latter half of the book, and page 485 came up...

...for about 1/2 a second. Then it suddenly blinked to the end, and my preview ended about where most everyone else's seems to end. They let you know it's there... but you can't read it for another month. ;)
Post by dan92677   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:54 pm

dan92677
Commander

On Amazon, I get the beginning, but not 60-523, and, of course, many, many exclusions.

Maddening!

Perhaps we should find a way to swap the pieces we have....?

And this was using 2 different computers at 2 different locations. Perhaps I need to get a new signon with Amazon?

Dan
Post by Taras_Potatos   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:35 pm

Taras_Potatos
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Google Doc shared for everyone could be used for that purpose, but I think it would be just wrong...
Post by NervousEnergy   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:26 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

Taras_Potatos wrote:Google Doc shared for everyone could be used for that purpose, but I think it would be just wrong...

Absolutely, and likely a good way to get Amazon 'see inside' features restricted or booted completely.

However, I'd be happy to help work on crowdsourcing the snippets assuming Himself explicitly approved such. I could post the same length snippet from #8 next week if granted, but I won't post a word without it.

Was quite good reading, though. ;)
Post by isaac_newton   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:26 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

EdThomas wrote:I think the beginning paragraphs of this snippet are some of the most beautiful I've ever read.

what an unexpected pleasure...

I do love these bits that give the feel of the country so as to speak!

Thanks you :-)

Return to Safehold