Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Another Spoiler: More new weapons

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Another Spoiler: More new weapons
Post by saber964   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:13 pm

saber964
Admiral

Peter2 wrote:
saber964 wrote:
[snip]

Offensive mining wasn't very popular in the first place. IIRC the U.S. only built one the USS Argonaut a mod of the Narwhal class and like I posted earlier the KM only built 6 mine laying U-boats the RN mostly used regular subs with mines deployed by torpedo tube.

The RN had a substantial surface fleet minelaying capability during WW2. There were 6 very fast Abdiel-class minelayers:– HMSs Abdiel, Latona, Manxman, Welshman, Ariadne, and Apollo. I've seen claims that HMS Manxman was capable of speeds in excess of 35 knots, and HMS Apollo was reputedly capable of 40 knots. That's a tremendous speed for a ship described as a cruiser.

There were also HMS Adventure (about the same size but rather slower – ca. 27 knots), 11 auxiliary minelayers (converted merchantmen), and a number of smaller craft, typically trawler size.

The fast minelayers laid 54% of the offensive mines set by the RN in WW2, and coastal forces set another 30%. Only 16% were set by submarines. See
http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Ops-Minelaying.htm

That's surface mine layers, I was referring to submarine mine layers. The USN had several surface mine layers also. IIRC one was even sunk at Pearl Harbor by IIRC the explosion of a couple of torpedoes that struck either USS Boise or Helena. Also that ship was a WWI relic that was in such poor condition that her engines hadn't been lit off in so long that their was birds nest in the stack.
Post by Castenea   » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:47 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:That's surface mine layers, I was referring to submarine mine layers. The USN had several surface mine layers also. IIRC one was even sunk at Pearl Harbor by IIRC the explosion of a couple of torpedoes that struck either USS Boise or Helena. Also that ship was a WWI relic that was in such poor condition that her engines hadn't been lit off in so long that their was birds nest in the stack.

I believe that while surface ships could be used to lay mines offensively, they were normally used to lay defensive mines as a major issue with mines (land or sea) was getting them to where they were to be placed (and then getting those who emplaced them home safely). During WWII I believe that the preferred method by the US for offensive mining operations was airdrop. Less accurate emplacement but greater chance of returning safely.
Post by saber964   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:26 pm

saber964
Admiral

Castenea wrote:
saber964 wrote:That's surface mine layers, I was referring to submarine mine layers. The USN had several surface mine layers also. IIRC one was even sunk at Pearl Harbor by IIRC the explosion of a couple of torpedoes that struck either USS Boise or Helena. Also that ship was a WWI relic that was in such poor condition that her engines hadn't been lit off in so long that their was birds nest in the stack.

I believe that while surface ships could be used to lay mines offensively, they were normally used to lay defensive mines as a major issue with mines (land or sea) was getting them to where they were to be placed (and then getting those who emplaced them home safely). During WWII I believe that the preferred method by the US for offensive mining operations was airdrop. Less accurate emplacement but greater chance of returning safely.

The problem with defensive mining was you needed a lot of mines and you needed to keep laying them to maintain your field's. FYI during WWII the U.S. played roughly 7 million mines off the west coast of the US, but after the war the U.S. only accounted for 4.2 million mines.

Return to Safehold