Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests

Amazon preview of the hardcopy is up

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Amazon preview of the hardcopy is up
Post by John Prigent   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:34 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Likewise here. I'll wait for the finished book - but I'm likely to be unavailable to callers until I finish reading it!

Cheers, John
Keith_w wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:
Well - I'm going against the trend here and wont be looking at the previews at all, especially those well into the book :-)

I shall be getting one glorious hit, sitting reading slowly thru the dead tree version in due time.

My good lady often skips ahead to the end of a book, but I just can't stand doing that!

You're not going against my trend Isaac. I won't be grabbing any more sneak peeks. I want to enjoy the surprises in the book as I am reading it.
Post by Mark Time   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:27 pm

Mark Time
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Sad, so sad. Checked the Google Preview today hoping to find perhaps a different set of pages. Nothing, nada, zip, gurnicht mit gurnicht, dim byd (Welsh according to Google translate).

Yesterday three hits would pop up at books.google.com when you searched for At the Sign of Triumph. Two had no previews, one had the mother lode. Today it's gone. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Side note - Google translate is getting darn smart. I was playing around with translating "sic transit gloria mundi" to Welsh then tried other phrases such as "that's the way the cookie crumbles" which became "Dyna'r ford y cici crymbl". On a lark I then translated that Welsh to Hebrew which became זה דרכו של עולם. Now that's fascinating because the Hebrew is literally "that's the way of the world" which one could argue is a more meaningful translation of "that's the way the cookie crumbles" than simply translating word-for-word. I was expecting something along the lines of the old AI joke about translating "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" from English to Russian and back where the punchline is that the phrase comes back as "the vodka is good but the meat is rotten".
Post by Strike160   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:53 pm

Strike160
Midshipman

Post by Mark Time   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:15 pm

Mark Time
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Strike160 wrote:https://books.google.com/books?dq=at+the+sign+of+triumph+look+inside+preview&source=bl&

Thanks.

Search on Google Books with "At the sign of triumph" and you get no preview but search instead for "At the sign of triumph inside preview" and you get the preview. Weird.
Post by Peter2   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:35 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Strike160 wrote:https://books.google.com/books?id=_gorDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA202&lpg=PA202&dq=at+the+sign+of+triumph+look+inside+preview&source=bl&ots=UxKV59aq4E&sig=xGKzIcAtvmzOChx6HXaDJXFDbj4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG9s7NhsfPAhVI7SYKHeqLAncQ6AEIQjAD#v=onepage&q=at%20the%20sign%20of%20triumph%20look%20inside%20preview&f=false

As I said earlier, I'm in the UK. When I clicked on this link, Google edited it so that the site accessed was google.co.uk instead of google.com. No preview! I then copied the link and pasted it into a new tab, so that it was asked to go via google.com. It refused to do so, and remained on the search page. I'm going off Google. :(
Post by Strike160   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:54 am

Strike160
Midshipman

You could use an IP proxy to spoof your non us ip...
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Well, I logged onto to Amazon com last night - and got what looked like the final chapter of the book. :shock:

Admittedly I've already pre ordered the Kindle edition - and I've been an Amazon UK customer practically since it opened the UK site. But I was still surprised; I've never had a preview give away the ending before.
Post by evilauthor   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:57 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Bluesqueak wrote:Well, I logged onto to Amazon com last night - and got what looked like the final chapter of the book. :shock:

Admittedly I've already pre ordered the Kindle edition - and I've been an Amazon UK customer practically since it opened the UK site. But I was still surprised; I've never had a preview give away the ending before.

Was it an actual ending or one of those cliffhangers that seem so popular these days?
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

evilauthor wrote:
Bluesqueak wrote:Well, I logged onto to Amazon com last night - and got what looked like the final chapter of the book. :shock:

Was it an actual ending or one of those cliffhangers that seem so popular these days?

It wasn't a cliffhanger.
Post by chrisd   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:39 pm

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

johnb wrote:I have found that here in the UK if you just simply go to the Amazon webpage then you get one version, if you logon with your Amazon id then you get a whole lot more.

John

Doesn't work for me in the UK

Return to Safehold