Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

Amazon preview of the hardcopy is up

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Amazon preview of the hardcopy is up
Post by colfaxstation   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:07 am

colfaxstation
Ensign

I got most of the book, with chunks missing, all the way up to page 736. A few of the very short snippets were left out. I've only bought a couple of books from Amazon, but do have a 1632 book, The Danish Scheme, published and sold on Amazon.
Post by Tararoys   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:58 am

Tararoys
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

As a point of information, you can get a completely different set of previews by going to google books ( https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm ... of+triumph ) and clicking on the search result that says "preview" next to it. I didn't get any of the first 400 pages, but I get about 2/3rds of everything after that, including some tantalizing pages very near the end.
Post by peke   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:07 am

peke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Tararoys wrote:As a point of information, you can get a completely different set of previews by going to google books ( https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm ... of+triumph ) and clicking on the search result that says "preview" next to it. I didn't get any of the first 400 pages, but I get about 2/3rds of everything after that, including some tantalizing pages very near the end.

Must have been a glitch on Google's part, because right now that search only shows a couple of relevant results, with no preview available.
------------------------------------------------------
There is no problem so complex that it cannot be solved through the judicious application of high-power explosives.
Post by cnrd22   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:52 am

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

I got up to page 698 (out of 738) on Amazon plus the author's note and all with the usual, few pages in, few missing (lots of great stuff there), while the google preview above gives two extra pages 701 and 717, with 717 being the crucial one, so avoid it at all costs if you do not want to see a crucial (maybe "the" crucial) part of the ending

as for Amazon, I am Prime member, buy tons of stuff beside books etc
Post by Mark Time   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:13 pm

Mark Time
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

And thank you Tararoys. Your post about Google previews got me to page 464. I know I'll be re-reading everything once the book is released but it's a lot of fun to skim through the book this way pre-publication.

Google previews showed me pages 157-464 with missing chunks (as expected). However, here's a tidbit of information. The Google and Amazon preview algorithms differ. In the overlapped section (pages 157-186) I was able to read the complete portion by referring to both previews. For example pages 162-163 are missing from my Amazon preview but are in the Google preview. Ditto for missing pages 168, 174, and 180.

For whatever its worth I tried Google Preview with Chrome instead of Safari and I can now reach page 482.
Post by Reader_of_Fiction   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:24 pm

Reader_of_Fiction
Ensign

Thanks RFC for a great preview read!!!!!! As an English Lit major many many moons ago, I learned to read the beginning of a book, skip to end, and then when I had time later go back and read the whole thing cover to cover. ATST delivers in a big way. Questions answered, plots resolved, everything we have been waiting for. I think I'll enjoy watching the speculation abound on the forums until publication next month, and now I fully understand one of the out of order snippets.
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:30 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Reader_of_Fiction wrote:Thanks RFC for a great preview read!!!!!! As an English Lit major many many moons ago, I learned to read the beginning of a book, skip to end, and then when I had time later go back and read the whole thing cover to cover. ATST delivers in a big way. Questions answered, plots resolved, everything we have been waiting for. I think I'll enjoy watching the speculation abound on the forums until publication next month, and now I fully understand one of the out of order snippets.

Well - I'm going against the trend here and wont be looking at the previews at all, especially those well into the book :-)

I shall be getting one glorious hit, sitting reading slowly thru the dead tree version in due time.

My good lady often skips ahead to the end of a book, but I just can't stand doing that!
Post by Keith_w   » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:47 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

isaac_newton wrote:
Well - I'm going against the trend here and wont be looking at the previews at all, especially those well into the book :-)

I shall be getting one glorious hit, sitting reading slowly thru the dead tree version in due time.

My good lady often skips ahead to the end of a book, but I just can't stand doing that!

You're not going against my trend Isaac. I won't be grabbing any more sneak peeks. I want to enjoy the surprises in the book as I am reading it.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Peter2   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:34 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

To Preview or Not To Preview, that is the question
I'm in the UK, and my default access to Amazon is via amazon.co.uk. It doesn't matter which browser I use, Chrome or Firefox, amazon.co.uk gives me no preview option. Amazon.com, however, does.

This is my experience; I don't know what others have found.
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:51 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Peter2 wrote:To Preview or Not To Preview, that is the question
I'm in the UK, and my default access to Amazon is via amazon.co.uk. It doesn't matter which browser I use, Chrome or Firefox, amazon.co.uk gives me no preview option. Amazon.com, however, does.

This is my experience; I don't know what others have found.

Me too

Return to Safehold