Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests

Amazon preview of the hardcopy is up

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Amazon preview of the hardcopy is up
Post by WeberFan   » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:30 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Mark Time wrote:
Strike160 wrote:https://books.google.com/books?dq=at+the+sign+of+triumph+look+inside+preview&source=bl&

Thanks.

Search on Google Books with "At the sign of triumph" and you get no preview but search instead for "At the sign of triumph inside preview" and you get the preview. Weird.

As to some of the issues folks have been reporting with seeing different things, I did some empirical research over the past couple of weeks with interesting (but not surprising I guess) results:

Google apparently keeps track of the IP address from which you're accessing the preview, and there is also some variation based on your browser and your browser's cache.

I ran the same URL on two side-by-side machines with the same browser (IE) and got different results. But I also got those same results every time I closed and opened the same browsers.

When I cleared the browser cache, I got slightly different results.

I then tried a Firefox browser on each machine and got slightly different results. Clearing the cache and trying again got the same results that I got initially with Firefox, which were different results on each machine.

I tried everything again from a different location (first try was from South Dakota) on both machines and got slightly different results from the ones that I reported above (different ISP).

Tried everything again from western Oklahoma (again, different ISP), with both browsers, and with clearing the cache as before with slightly different results again!

Finally, I tried everything again from Maryland with similar results.

OK, OK, OK, so I didn't just travel around the country to see what preview results I could get, I was actually on a vacation (GLORIOUS I would add). But while I was at it, with both my work and my personal machines handy, I figured I'd at least run some tests...

And with every preview my appetite was whetted even more. I'm anxiously... ANXIOUSLY I say... awaiting the Amazon release. This is gonna be GREAT!!! :D :D :D
Re: Amazon preview of the hardcopy is up
Post by Hildum   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:40 pm

Hildum
Captain (Junior Grade)

d-eye wrote:unfortunately it doesn't go past the snippets.

The amount of preview you get apparently depends on how much you have purchased through Amazon in the past. In my case, I have one or two very large purchases, and I got a LOT of the book. Very interesting reading, but I swear Amazon is worse than our tricky celery fanatic when it comes to hiding pages at interesting points! For every explanation I found there were four more puzzles! I am losing sleep trying to figure out the ramifications of what I read…. (and no, I won't be posting from the previews)

The book better arrive soon, or I will be in bad shape from lack of sleep!

Return to Safehold