Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 76 guests

Attacking and Defending Gorath Bay==Possible Spoilers==

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Attacking and Defending Gorath Bay==Possible Spoilers==
Post by Darcwar   » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:25 pm

Darcwar
Ensign

The KH VIIs with the 10" guns should have a range over 10 miles and with 6" hardened armor, the Dohlar shouldn't have anything that could threaten them. I would like to see Cayleb leading the ship into Gorath Bay. Then after showing what the KHVIIs can do Dohlar will only have 3 options: fight with NO chance... Surrender... OR join in fighting the GO4. Cayleb could then demand, for the deaths for his sailors, that the King step down and his under aged son be made King in waiting till he is of age. That would maybe mean Thirsk could be named reagent. Also doesn't Cayleb have a sister about the same age as the prince of Dohlar? That is of course if she doesn't end up with Thirsk's grandson who is also about her age.

Just a thought
Post by Larry   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:28 am

Larry
Lieutenant Commander

Darcwar wrote:<Snip> Cayleb could then demand, for the deaths for his sailors, that the King step down and his under aged son be made King in waiting till he is of age. That would maybe mean Thirsk could be named reagent. Also doesn't Cayleb have a sister about the same age as the prince of Dohlar? That is of course if she doesn't end up with Thirsk's grandson who is also about her age.

Just a thought

Princess Zhanayt Ahrmahk is 18 if my calculations and the Safehold wiki are correct. Crown Prince Rahnyld was almost 16 as of HFQ. But so what? I don't think Cayleb intends to integrate Dohlar into the Empire. Defeat them, yes, integrate them in, no. So a relationship by marriage is unneeded. Now insisting the King abdicate and the Prince be declared King under Thirsk as a regent until he comes of age, well that seems much more likely. Although it's possible that if he makes it back Gen. Ahlverez might actually be a better choice for regent. He has to be just as disillusioned as Thirsk by this point and will be far more popular and acceptable to the people and nobles than Thirsk would be. Far more likely to be able to keep the country under control. Thirsk is simply unsuited to the political side of the game. He would make a good grand Admiral though for a revised pacified Dohlarian Navy
Post by shayvaan   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:23 am

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Larry wrote: <snip> Now insisting the King abdicate and the Prince be declared King under Thirsk as a regent until he comes of age, well that seems much more likely. Although it's possible that if he makes it back Gen. Ahlverez might actually be a better choice for regent. He has to be just as disillusioned as Thirsk by this point and will be far more popular and acceptable to the people and nobles than Thirsk would be. Far more likely to be able to keep the country under control. Thirsk is simply unsuited to the political side of the game. He would make a good grand Admiral though for a revised pacified Dohlarian Navy

Ahlverez is already back. He attended a meeting at Gorath Palace with Thirsk about the fate of the ICN prisoners (pg 1963 IOS version)
Post by Peter2   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:43 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

Darcwar wrote:The KH VIIs with the 10" guns should have a range over 10 miles and with 6" hardened armor, the Dohlar shouldn't have anything that could threaten them. I would like to see Cayleb leading the ship into Gorath Bay. Then after showing what the KHVIIs can do Dohlar will only have 3 options: fight with NO chance... Surrender... OR join in fighting the GO4. Cayleb could then demand, for the deaths for his sailors, that the King step down and his under aged son be made King in waiting till he is of age. That would maybe mean Thirsk could be named reagent. Also doesn't Cayleb have a sister about the same age as the prince of Dohlar? That is of course if she doesn't end up with Thirsk's grandson who is also about her age.

Just a thought

(My bolding)

They might first have to shorten the Duke of Thorast by a head! Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea anyway.
Post by John Prigent   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:03 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

I really LIKE the idea of Thirsk as a reagent. That would set the pot bubbling (even if you really meant regent).

Cheers, John

Darcwar wrote:The KH VIIs with the 10" guns should have a range over 10 miles and with 6" hardened armor, the Dohlar shouldn't have anything that could threaten them. I would like to see Cayleb leading the ship into Gorath Bay. Then after showing what the KHVIIs can do Dohlar will only have 3 options: fight with NO chance... Surrender... OR join in fighting the GO4. Cayleb could then demand, for the deaths for his sailors, that the King step down and his under aged son be made King in waiting till he is of age. That would maybe mean Thirsk could be named reagent. Also doesn't Cayleb have a sister about the same age as the prince of Dohlar? That is of course if she doesn't end up with Thirsk's grandson who is also about her age.

Just a thought
Post by Larry   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Larry
Lieutenant Commander

shayvaan wrote:Ahlverez is already back. He attended a meeting at Gorath Palace with Thirsk about the fate of the ICN prisoners (pg 1963 IOS version)

Thank you sir, I stand corrected. And I still believe my point is correct. Ahlverez and Thirsk are due for a reconciliation. Both have been through viewpoint changing experiences and have significantly different viewpoints about the Jihad at this point than what they had at the start. Either as a regent would work, but I still think that Ahlverez will be more acceptable to the general population and the nobility. And I concur with the point that some of those nobility will no doubt become a head shorter during the surrender/coup that is seemingly looming in the future. Making Thirsk the First Lord of the Admiralty (or whatever it's Dohlarian equivalent is) seems a better use of his skills.
OR possibly he loses the sea battle, Gorath is taken, and Dohlar surrenders. Ahlverez grudgingly assumes a regency for the young prince and a peace treaty is signed. But having lost Thirsk is forced into exile in "disgrace" and he goes, a lot more willingly than everyone expects to exile in Charis and a quiet reunion with his family.

Larry
Post by Darcwar   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:55 pm

Darcwar
Ensign

I think I have to agree with you Larry.

Ahlverez might make a better regent and Thirsk in charge of the second most power navy on Safehold would be better for both Dohlar and EoC. I still bet Princess Zhanayt Ahrmahk will end up as a love interest for Thirsh's grandson. But a marriage with Crown Prince Rahnyld would not mean that Dohlar would join the Empire but would strengthen the ties with it instead. The royal families of Europe did it all the time.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:11 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Darcwar wrote:I think I have to agree with you Larry.

Ahlverez might make a better regent and Thirsk in charge of the second most power navy on Safehold would be better for both Dohlar and EoC. I still bet Princess Zhanayt Ahrmahk will end up as a love interest for Thirsh's grandson. But a marriage with Crown Prince Rahnyld would not mean that Dohlar would join the Empire but would strengthen the ties with it instead. The royal families of Europe did it all the time.

Marriages have been traditionally used to establish or cement dynastic alliances. So the thought is not out of the question. Cayleb might have to be talked into using his baby sister that way, though. There has already been a round 1 of that discussion. State marriages aren't normally love interests.

On your other point you seem to be presuming that Dohlar will have a navy left for Thirsk to command. That one is very much up in the air at the moment.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:33 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Darcwar wrote:... I still bet Princess Zhanayt Ahrmahk will end up as a love interest for Thirsh's grandson. ...

Isn't Zhanayt Ahrmahk already engaged to Nahrman Baytz's heir, the prince of Emerald or some such?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Keith_w   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:46 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Weird Harold wrote:
Darcwar wrote:... I still bet Princess Zhanayt Ahrmahk will end up as a love interest for Thirsh's grandson. ...

Isn't Zhanayt Ahrmahk already engaged to Nahrman Baytz's heir, the prince of Emerald or some such?

No, Caleb's little brother is engaged to the Baytz daughter, both of whose names I forgot and cannot be bothered to look up.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Safehold