Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Attacking and Defending Gorath Bay==Possible Spoilers==

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Attacking and Defending Gorath Bay==Definite Spoilers==
Post by Louis R   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

The bit I referred to was somewhere around p490, IIRC, so probably 2-3 months later than April.

CdnGunner wrote:
PeterZ wrote:
Do you recall the date? If this is still during the early spring or late winter, then Rainbow Waters may well be hosed. So hosed he'll order redeployment regardless of what Clyntahn wants. He'll be dead or captured if he doesn't.

As this is inside a posting listed as a possible spoiler, I HOPE this is OK....

First mention of the Gwylym Manthyr is on page 313.

Page 217 is the start of April.

When introduce to the GW, she is still in Charis (finishing acceptance trials??). We ARE also told that she will be the only one of her class completed at that time, with the others coming along 4 months or so later. This is still fallout from the Delthak fire. They can't make more 10" guns until the facility is back up.
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:12 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Alright, then. The RDN Western Fleet is rendered ineffective in April 898. That means South Harchong cannot ship their output via the Western Gulf. They have to use canals and ship into Gorath via the Eastern Gulf. Pretty soon even that route will be cut off. By the time the GM arrives at the Dohlar Bank, the ICN will have stopped all traffic from Howard to Haven.

The MH will begin feeling the pinch as they deploy further South. More of their troops will depend on supplies going through Dairnyth. Should those locks be destroyed, the MH has to rely on the Holy Langhorne. If the Allied forces send an attack up the Transhar River, the MH has to deploy to defend the Bedard Canal. That might mean an insufficient strategic reserve to successfully counter an attack up North.

If Rainbow Waters recognizes this soon enough, might he succeed in persuading Magwair to seek a truce?
Post by n7axw   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:05 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Alright, then. The RDN Western Fleet is rendered ineffective in April 898. That means South Harchong cannot ship their output via the Western Gulf. They have to use canals and ship into Gorath via the Eastern Gulf. Pretty soon even that route will be cut off. By the time the GM arrives at the Dohlar Bank, the ICN will have stopped all traffic from Howard to Haven.

The MH will begin feeling the pinch as they deploy further South. More of their troops will depend on supplies going through Dairnyth. Should those locks be destroyed, the MH has to rely on the Holy Langhorne. If the Allied forces send an attack up the Transhar River, the MH has to deploy to defend the Bedard Canal. That might mean an insufficient strategic reserve to successfully counter an attack up North.

If Rainbow Waters recognizes this soon enough, might he succeed in persuading Magwair to seek a truce?

It might depend on Clyntahn's status, doesn't it... Last we saw, Clyntahn is in the hands of the seijins about to be introduced to the archangels. It certainly is possible that a ceasefire could be in the offing if Clyntahn has disappeared and no longer in control of Zion.

Some of that might depend on if the inquisition can carry on without him.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:32 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

The Inquisition's power only holds if they are viewed as light image. Destroy that legitimacy and they are vastly out numbered and dreadfully outgunned. How do you think Clyntahn ended in our seijins' hands? I don't think it was solely Merlin's doing.

I wonder if Rayno betrayed Clyntahn to Helm Cleaver as the price of allowing Duchairn and Magwair to reorganize the CoGA? He might have offered to assist to save the CoGA and save lives. Saving the CoGA also means saving the Inquisition. Sure, it's power will be trimmed back, but it would still exist to safeguard orthodoxy.

Magwair will take the truce in order to prepare the CoGA better. Duchairn will do it to actually reform the Church. Stonahr will do it to rebuild his nation and get some territorial concessions.....Silkiah. The Inner Circle will do it to further generate legitimacy for the CoC and EoC in the eyes of Safehold.

n7axw wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Alright, then. The RDN Western Fleet is rendered ineffective in April 898. That means South Harchong cannot ship their output via the Western Gulf. They have to use canals and ship into Gorath via the Eastern Gulf. Pretty soon even that route will be cut off. By the time the GM arrives at the Dohlar Bank, the ICN will have stopped all traffic from Howard to Haven.

It might depend on Clyntahn's status, doesn't it... Last we saw, Clyntahn is in the hands of the seijins about to be introduced to the archangels. It certainly is possible that a ceasefire could be in the offing if Clyntahn has disappeared and no longer in control of Zion.

Some of that might depend on if the inquisition can carry on without him.

Don

-
Re: Attacking and Defending Gorath Bay==Possible Spoilers==
Post by Hildum   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Hildum
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:So they must have decided to use those two mounts and the pair of 10 inch barrels that didn't get caught in the fire after all. In the conversation in the inner circle following the fire, Howsmyn expressed that he wasn't comfortable doing that, but sometimes needs must... :?

It does seem like the other Haarahlds are taking longer than expected unless my own impression of how far along they were is mistaken.

I imagine those Cities must be Zhastro's squadron unless someone has better info. I expected them to be transfered over from the coast of Desnair...

Don

-

I wonder if they really have to use questionable guns. I suspect that they could do a much better inspection of the barrels using the SNARCs and nanites one evening. If there was too much internal damage, then perhaps they could switch out the barrels for something Owl manufactured? That would be quite a trick, though. The barrels are a tad larger than the reference cubes they swapped before.
Re: Attacking and Defending Gorath Bay==Possible Spoilers==
Post by n7axw   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:27 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Hildum wrote:
n7axw wrote:So they must have decided to use those two mounts and the pair of 10 inch barrels that didn't get caught in the fire after all. In the conversation in the inner circle following the fire, Howsmyn expressed that he wasn't comfortable doing that, but sometimes needs must... :?

It does seem like the other Haarahlds are taking longer than expected unless my own impression of how far along they were is mistaken.

I imagine those Cities must be Zhastro's squadron unless someone has better info. I expected them to be transfered over from the coast of Desnair...

Don

-

I wonder if they really have to use questionable guns. I suspect that they could do a much better inspection of the barrels using the SNARCs and nanites one evening. If there was too much internal damage, then perhaps they could switch out the barrels for something Owl manufactured? That would be quite a trick, though. The barrels are a tad larger than the reference cubes they swapped before.

The way the text reads one would presume that those two barrels weren't caught in the fire. Rather they had been tested or proofed. Why Howsmyn was uncomfortable using them is not very clear.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Safehold