Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

How Is Temperature Defined on Safehold?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: How Is Temperature Defined on Safehold?
Post by DaltonSpence   » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:21 am

DaltonSpence
Midshipman

From my "Re-Measuring Safehold" thread:
DaltonSpence wrote:More canonical data about Safehold. From the first chapter of "Midst Toil and Tribulation;
Nor did he have to know he was nine thousand feet above sea level on a planet with an axial inclination eleven degrees greater and an average temperature seven degrees lower than a world called Earth, of which he had never heard.
From memory, Earth axial tilt is 23 degrees, making Safehold's 34 degrees. I'm not sure what Earth's current average temperature is (it's been changing lately, hasn't it) although I'm assuming the differential is in degrees Fahrenheit.

More to the point, what kind of thermometer are they using on Safehold to measure temperature? Mercury or colored alcohol in a sealed glass tube? A bi-metal coil? The Holy Writ could describe the construction of either device using a "miraculous" explanation for its function. Would the Archangels consider such a device to be a necessary (and thus allowable) technology? (Note: the actual temperature scales used could be a strictly localized standard, satisfying Langhorne's desire for maximized technological and scientific confusion.)

Dalton “re-reading the series to prep for the next book” Spence

Return to Safehold